• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

2&2 is great...the Hornets suck but not as badly as the Hawks suck as a point of reference...GREAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!!!

When asked if Earl Campbell was in a class of his own, Oilers Coach Bum Phillips said, "He may not be a class of his own, but it doesn't take long to call the roll."

Trae Young may not be the worst defensive guard of all time, but it sure doesn't take long to name others in his class.

He also leads the NBA in TOs.

Haha I was wondering when you'd pop up in this discussion, considering we had a long back and forth in the offseason about Trae being a bad shooter. He's shooting 37.4% from 3 btw.

What's the new one here, that he's a bad passer/ball-handler because he turns the ball over a lot? Wanna think about that one? About how the guy second in the NBA in assists, who probably is near the top of the league in terms of his team depending on him to create offense, might potentially be prone to more TOs as a result of volume of opportunities and not poor skill?

As a follow up, the top 5 in career TO's is Karl Malone, Lebron James, Moses Malone, John Stockton, and Kobe Bryant. Maybe it's a function of how much they have the ball, but if you wanna nitpick those guys for their TO's go for it.

As a follow up, the top 5 in career TO's is Karl Malone, Lebron James, Moses Malone, John Stockton, and Kobe Bryant. Maybe it's a function of how much they have the ball, but if you wanna nitpick those guys for their TO's go for it.

they're no Devonte Graham tho

Haha I was wondering when you'd pop up in this discussion, considering we had a long back and forth in the offseason about Trae being a bad shooter. He's shooting 37.4% from 3 btw.

What's the new one here, that he's a bad passer/ball-handler because he turns the ball over a lot? Wanna think about that one? About how the guy second in the NBA in assists, who probably is near the top of the league in terms of his team depending on him to create offense, might potentially be prone to more TOs as a result of volume of opportunities and not poor skill?

Remember, I'm the guy who says the least important stat for a college recruited PG is TOs. Of course, Young is going to make a lot of TOs due to usage, but he makes a lot of bad ones. Usage also means he gets more assists than a lot of others.

With a knockdown shooter like Huerter, a good shooter like Hunter and two lob targets in JC and Capela, a good PG would be Top 5 in assists.

As to his shooting, last year he was a bad shooter. This year he's marginally above what you need a volume three point shooter to be. He could improve by not taking so many bad shots, but it may be baked into his play to believe he should take those shots.

Hunter and Capela deserve raises to have to cover Young's man as well as their own.

Maybe the Hawks will find a coach to make him play some D and maybe he'll stop forcing bad shots, but right now he's a ball hog on a bad team. Let's see how he plays if his team becomes competitive.

BTW, Luka has propelled the Mavs to a .600 winning percentage while missing Kristaps for 20% of their games and playing in the West versus the Hawks having about the worst record in the league.

I always dig it when dudes find their niche or bloom late after a few years in the league

Ben McLemore seems pretty happy now in Houston, took James Johnson found it for a while with the Heat after seven seasons, PJ Tucker and Patrick Beverly played overseas for a bit, etc.

Remember, I'm the guy who says the least important stat for a college recruited PG is TOs. Of course, Young is going to make a lot of TOs due to usage, but he makes a lot of bad ones. Usage also means he gets more assists than a lot of others.

With a knockdown shooter like Huerter, a good shooter like Hunter and two lob targets in JC and Capela, a good PG would be Top 5 in assists.

As to his shooting, last year he was a bad shooter. This year he's marginally above what you need a volume three point shooter to be. He could improve by not taking so many bad shots, but it may be baked into his play to believe he should take those shots.

Hunter and Capela deserve raises to have to cover Young's man as well as their own.

Maybe the Hawks will find a coach to make him play some D and maybe he'll stop forcing bad shots, but right now he's a ball hog on a bad team. Let's see how he plays if his team becomes competitive.

BTW, Luka has propelled the Mavs to a .600 winning percentage while missing Kristaps for 20% of their games and playing in the West versus the Hawks having about the worst record in the league.

Not really sure where to start I disagree with so much, but I'll respond to this one then I'm probably done discussing Trae with you.

You say that a good PG would be top 5 in assists with a roster like the Hawks. For starters, JC has missed just under half of the Hawks games, and Capela has played in precisely 0. Hunter is shooting 35.3% from 3 with 12.3 ppg. That % is only marginally above what Trae's rookie 3pt % was, but I guess we get to call rookie Hunter a good shooter and rookie Trae a shitty one. Huerter is shooting 39.1% from 3. So I guess the 1.7% between him and Trae this year is the difference between a knockdown shooter and someone "marginally above what a volume 3 point shooter should be"?

Regardless of shooting, if you're arguing that any good PG would be getting a lot of assists due to the quality of the Hawks roster, I'd invite you to seriously rethink that. This is a team in which Damien Jones and Alex Len have gotten the majority of the minutes at center and Vince Carter plays 15.1 mpg. You yourself call Trae a "ballhog on a bad team", so if you could try to reconcile that "bad team" statement with your second bullet point I'd love to see it.

You're the one that mentioned his turnovers in a post to knock him two posts ago, and I pointed out how his usage has impacted that. As for your thing on usage impacting assists, yeah sure. But he's 5th in the league in Assists/48 minutes, so to discredit his assists numbers solely based on that seems silly. He's an elite passer, and I think you know that.

I watch around 1/2 of the hawks games, and I'd be willing to bet unless they are playing the Sixers you watch 0 aside from highlights. So please stop coming after this with the eye test about his defense. I've already conceded that he's a terrible defender. But the advanced stats that make him out to be the worst in the league inherently factor in the bad defense that the rest of the team plays. The only above average defender on the team has been Reddish, Hunter's D has absolutely not translated yet and Capela hasn't played yet. Trae's D will be possible to hide once the Hawks team D improves.

As an aside, the same advanced stat that has Trae Young's D as the worst in the league has his offense as the best in the league. His DRPM is -4.66, second worst is IT at -4.27. His ORPM is 6.50 and second best is Dame at 5.44. If you're gonna keep bashing him as a player as the worst defender in the NBA, why don't you start fairly applying these stats and start referring to him as the best offensive player in the NBA? Or, maybe accept that these stats should have some context when you talk about his D, your choice.

Finally, I don't give a shit about Luka. Your point is disingenuous anyways, as almost anyone would admit the Hawks roster is significantly worse than the Mavs aside from the PG's, but whatever. The trade was for Trae + Reddish, and Reddish has quietly played great ball in 2020. I'm tired of the Luka-Trae comparisons, they are wildly different players only compared because of draft night. I'm making the argument that Trae is a very good player, and if you need to bring Luka into your rebuttal of that you are already losing.

1. Don't forget that Collins missed 25 games with a suspension and that Huerter missed several games with an injury. The trio of Huerter, Collins and Young were not even playing together for much of the season.
2. Luka has been a professional ball player for several years while we are not through year 2 with Young.
3. The Hawks, for some reason, went into the season with no back up point guard and it cost them.

3. The Hawks, for some reason, went into the season with no back up point guard and it cost them.

Lol they claim that they thought Evan Turner would be a quality backup point guard for Trae.

I think in reality they wanted to tank another year and develop the rookie wings, John and Trae. So they made a team with young, promising players, but gave them no center worth a damn and no back up guard that can lead the bench offense in order to ensure that we wouldn't be suddenly stuck in 8th seed purgatory that the Hornets were (are?) in for so long.

They've got JT for the rest of this season.

It might not be a bad idea for the Hawks to trade Capela and maybe Reddish (or something else) for Horford. Capela's contract is the same length and is only about $10M less. Horford sets great picks and can open space for Young and JC. Plus, they could use a pro's pro like Horford to help them grow. Horford will be off the books when they have to pay Young (not sure JC will be a max guy, but can be close). Having Horford may help getting some veterans to come play with them.

The Hawks should think about tanking a little more hoping to get the #1 or #2 pick. #3 is likely to be LaMelo Ball and they don't need him or Obi Coppin. Anthony Edwards would be a great addition to go with Young and JC.

They've got JT for the rest of this season.

It might not be a bad idea for the Hawks to trade Capela and maybe Reddish (or something else) for Horford. Capela's contract is the same length and is only about $10M less. Horford sets great picks and can open space for Young and JC. Plus, they could use a pro's pro like Horford to help them grow. Horford will be off the books when they have to pay Young (not sure JC will be a max guy, but can be close). Having Horford may help getting some veterans to come play with them.

The Hawks should think about tanking a little more hoping to get the #1 or #2 pick. #3 is likely to be LaMelo Ball and they don't need him or Obi Coppin. Anthony Edwards would be a great addition to go with Young and JC.

That Horford contract isn't looking too hot right now. If that's your expectation on a Horford trade you might want to downgrade that.

As far as the tanking, it's interesting. I see that viewpoint, but think the Hawks would rather see Trae/JC/Reddish/Hunter play well together now that they finally are all together and get some momentum for next year.

Lol they claim that they thought Evan Turner would be a quality backup point guard for Trae.

I think in reality they wanted to tank another year and develop the rookie wings, John and Trae. So they made a team with young, promising players, but gave them no center worth a damn and no back up guard that can lead the bench offense in order to ensure that we wouldn't be suddenly stuck in 8th seed purgatory that the Hornets were (are?) in for so long.

Well they did try to keep Dedmon.

That Horford contract isn't looking too hot right now. If that's your expectation on a Horford trade you might want to downgrade that.

As far as the tanking, it's interesting. I see that viewpoint, but think the Hawks would rather see Trae/JC/Reddish/Hunter play well together now that they finally are all together and get some momentum for next year.

It's very interesting. They basically had their 2020 offseason at the trade deadline. The draft class and the new lottery format just don't support tanking, especially for a team that obviously has young talent that needs time to gel. It makes more sense for them to try to stay healthy and build momentum and maybe add a piece in the offseason. It's highly unlikely they'll make the playoffs anyway.

The reason I brought up that trade is Capela is a weaker version of JC. His only value on offense are lobs and offensive rebounds. But he takes away the lane from JC and Young. Given how little the Hawks are spending these days, the $10M or so difference between Capela and Horford is of no consequence. Each contract expires at the same time.

What the Hawks need is a pro to help the young guys learn. They also need someone who can spread the floor. He can help Young's passing as well.

For other teams, I'd agree that Horford's contract is bad. But he fits the needs of the Hawks and doesn't really impact their ability to add anyone. Remember, they could stretch him off his last year's number. He had a couple of really good years in Atlanta. He's a bridge guy to help the Hawks get to another level.

The Sixers would need to find a home for Capela, because he wouldn't be happy coming off the bench for 15-20 mpg. Hopefully, they could get a shooter or a mid-first round pick. Well, unless they trade Capela to the Cavs and get a lottery pick. :)

It's very interesting. They basically had their 2020 offseason at the trade deadline. The draft class and the new lottery format just don't support tanking, especially for a team that obviously has young talent that needs time to gel. It makes more sense for them to try to stay healthy and build momentum and maybe add a piece in the offseason. It's highly unlikely they'll make the playoffs anyway.

I couldn't agree more. I think they would rather see Reddish and Hunter playing well, and JC and Trae continuing to develop than worry about their draft status. If they end up in the #6 lottery slot, they have a 9% chance at #1, 9.2% at #2, 9.4% at #3, and 9.6% at #4. If they end up in the #3 lottery slot it's 14%, 13.4%, 12.7%, 12% respectively. So yeah, the new lottery odds changes these late season decisions for sure.

The reason I brought up that trade is Capela is a weaker version of JC. His only value on offense are lobs and offensive rebounds. But he takes away the lane from JC and Young. Given how little the Hawks are spending these days, the $10M or so difference between Capela and Horford is of no consequence. Each contract expires at the same time.

What the Hawks need is a pro to help the young guys learn. They also need someone who can spread the floor. He can help Young's passing as well.

For other teams, I'd agree that Horford's contract is bad. But he fits the needs of the Hawks and doesn't really impact their ability to add anyone. Remember, they could stretch him off his last year's number. He had a couple of really good years in Atlanta. He's a bridge guy to help the Hawks get to another level.

The Sixers would need to find a home for Capela, because he wouldn't be happy coming off the bench for 15-20 mpg. Hopefully, they could get a shooter or a mid-first round pick. Well, unless they trade Capela to the Cavs and get a lottery pick. :)

Capela has 3 more years at $16 million, $17.1 mil, and $18.2 mil. Horford has three more years at $27.5 million, $26.5 million, and $26 million It's more than a $10 million difference. Horford is going to be 34 years old next year. Capela will be 25 next year. I get it that you're coming at this from a Sixers fan, but that trade you suggested is ludicrous. Reddish sure as hell wouldn't be added to that trade, that would be very lopsided.

I don't think the Hawks would be interested at all anyways. They want JC to be able to play the 4, and he's been improving his shooting and defense each year. If the pairing with Capela fails, they are way more likely to just trade John for assets than to dump Capela in a trade like you suggest.

14, what do you think the Hawks will look for in the draft? They seem to have the pieces they want in place.

14, what do you think the Hawks will look for in the draft? They seem to have the pieces they want in place.

I think biggest need is a secondary ballhandler for Trae to be able to move off-ball a little more. If all those Steph comparisons are gonna come true (Trae ain't shooting 45% from 3 but you know what I mean), then Trae needs somebody who can be a little ball dominant at times to play with so we can run him off screens off ball.

I'm not sold on him as a prospect but I would imagine that Anthony Edwards is at the top of their board. Their starting frontcourt seems to be established with Capela and Collins, and I don't think they're giving up on either Reddish or Hunter developing into a borderline star at SF. So going for a combo guard certainly makes the most sense.

This is more my prediction, but I could see them trading their pick and other assets for some sort of a starter level guard if the right opportunity presented itself. I don't have enough of a pulse on other teams plans to know what options for that would be though.

I haven't seen them play since Teague joined. How are they using him with Trae?

I haven't seen them play since Teague joined. How are they using him with Trae?

Meh. When they play together they let Trae work off ball some, but I don't think that's really the idea with Teague. I think his acquisition was more just to stabilize how bad we have been with Trae off the floor. And he's been better than what we had, but he hasn't been great.

According to basketball-reference they are only averaging 9.8 mpg on the floor together, and Teague is averaging 22.1 mpg total. So I don't have a great gauge on what this could look like.

I couldn't agree more. I think they would rather see Reddish and Hunter playing well, and JC and Trae continuing to develop than worry about their draft status. If they end up in the #6 lottery slot, they have a 9% chance at #1, 9.2% at #2, 9.4% at #3, and 9.6% at #4. If they end up in the #3 lottery slot it's 14%, 13.4%, 12.7%, 12% respectively. So yeah, the new lottery odds changes these late season decisions for sure.

Capela has 3 more years at $16 million, $17.1 mil, and $18.2 mil. Horford has three more years at $27.5 million, $26.5 million, and $26 million It's more than a $10 million difference. Horford is going to be 34 years old next year. Capela will be 25 next year. I get it that you're coming at this from a Sixers fan, but that trade you suggested is ludicrous. Reddish sure as hell wouldn't be added to that trade, that would be very lopsided.

I don't think the Hawks would be interested at all anyways. They want JC to be able to play the 4, and he's been improving his shooting and defense each year. If the pairing with Capela fails, they are way more likely to just trade John for assets than to dump Capela in a trade like you suggest.

$10M/year.....As it stands, next year, the Hawks are going to be $50M under the cap. By the way, Horford's last year is only about 50% guaranteed and there are other deductions for the last two years.

If Capela doesn't work, his value will plummet. Remember, I said the Sixers would be moving Capela.

RE:Reddish- I also said or something else.

Trading John for "assets" is dumb versus having a solid 20/9 or 10 guy. Bad teams stay bad because they pray for players rather than using successful ones they have.

$10M/year.....As it stands, next year, the Hawks are going to be $50M under the cap. By the way, Horford's last year is only about 50% guaranteed and there are other deductions for the last two years.

If Capela doesn't work, his value will plummet. Remember, I said the Sixers would be moving Capela.

RE:Reddish- I also said or something else.

Trading John for "assets" is dumb versus having a solid 20/9 or 10 guy. Bad teams stay bad because they pray for players rather than using successful ones they have.

Thought you meant $10 million total. It’s still too much money for a team that isn’t yet into their window to pay a 34 year old who is now coming off the bench in philly.

I wouldn’t be in favor of trading John, just stating that it would be a more likely option than the Hawks trading for Al Horford. You know that assets don’t have to be draft picks right? Current NBA players are also assets to an NBA team.

Back