• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

So Jason Tatum kind of sucks in the big moments. 2 missed free throws and an air ball three in absolutely crucial 4th quarter Possessions. And his plus minus has been absolutely horrific in two losses in the finals.

Andrew Wiggins 4 MVP

So Jason Tatum kind of sucks in the big moments. 2 missed free throws and an air ball three in absolutely crucial 4th quarter Possessions. And his plus minus has been absolutely horrific in two losses in the finals.

wonder if he's fatigued, been playing a ton more basketball than he ever has, and didn't get any rest in the second half. plus he probably expends more energy on defense than most.

Wiggins was supposed to be what Tatum is right now. But he’s thriving as the 3rd option, 4th best player for the Warriors.

My (worthless) prediction. Tatum goes off in game 6, sends game back to GS. Curry scores 30 in game 7, but the rest of the Warriors fall apart and the celts win by 10.

Wiggins was supposed to be what Tatum is right now. But he’s thriving as the 3rd option, 4th best player for the Warriors.

who are the 2 other warriors better than Wiggins? He's clearly #2 right now.

Steph, Klay, Draymond (or Poole on any given day), Wiggins.

That’s three future HOF ahead of Wiggins.

Curry really needs a Finals MVP for his legacy. That's a big hole in his record, even though he should have won it when Iggy did. He's really going to have to go off the rest of the way (and the Dubs win it) to get it.

atkinson rep is based on putting together a winning record and 6th place finish with this roster:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BRK/2019.html

I get it, but that roster is Deangelo Russell, Joe Harris, Caris Levert, Demarre Carroll, and Jarret Allen, with Dinwiddie, Crabbe, Ed Davis, and the Manimal off the bench. That isn't dogshit. Per the link you posted, their expected W-L was 41-41, and they went 42-40 to get the 6th seed in a shitty East. He was one game better than expected, whoopdeedamndoo. 42-40 this year would be the 11 seed in East.

I'm not saying he is a bad coach, he is certainly solid. But I don't see him as much different than Borrego who was also solid. I don't get why you fire a guy who has successfully rebuilt a bad team to two games over .500 in favor of a guy whose greatest success was also building a bad team to one game over .500 in a much worse conference. Absent a [Redacted]/Manning situation, you don't fire a coach unless you have a significant upgrade already teed up.

I think Tatum strained his neck

…turning to the ref to complain about a no-call after a missed shot

No I actually like him as a personality. I also like Brown and Smart as personalities. But the Smart flopping has been beyond comical for a long time.

I’m in no mood to see Boston fans celebrate. I’m also in no mood to see Draymond Green crow about a championship he had little to do with. So I’m genuinely torn. Maybe he’ll be humbled by winning one when he knows he owes it completely to his teammates. (… nah)

It's weird that the Celtics are right there, certainly good shot to force a Game 7, but their starting PG, SG and SF are not good at dribbling. Like basketball 101 dribbling. Tatum has some moves where he just goes and then whoooooppp there goes the ball...

When they have the ball, I am tight, kind of like the anxiety I felt when we crossed half court and Manning was our coach - waiting on a bad dribbling display or bad pass turnover to happen.

I think Tatum strained his neck

…turning to the ref to complain about a no-call after a missed shot

No I actually like him as a personality. I also like Brown and Smart as personalities. But the Smart flopping has been beyond comical for a long time.

I’m in no mood to see Boston fans celebrate. I’m also in no mood to see Draymond Green crow about a championship he had little to do with. So I’m genuinely torn. Maybe he’ll be humbled by winning one when he knows he owes it completely to his teammates. (… nah)

Agree on all of this.

Brown seems especially cool. I think I saw where he was valedictorian at his high school and took masters level classes at Berkley as a freshman and deep-dove into academics. Even though he was clearly a good NBA prospect. I like his attitude and damn he's got ups.

I get it, but that roster is Deangelo Russell, Joe Harris, Caris Levert, Demarre Carroll, and Jarret Allen, with Dinwiddie, Crabbe, Ed Davis, and the Manimal off the bench. That isn't dogshit. Per the link you posted, their expected W-L was 41-41, and they went 42-40 to get the 6th seed in a shitty East. He was one game better than expected, whoopdeedamndoo. 42-40 this year would be the 11 seed in East.

I'm not saying he is a bad coach, he is certainly solid. But I don't see him as much different than Borrego who was also solid. I don't get why you fire a guy who has successfully rebuilt a bad team to two games over .500 in favor of a guy whose greatest success was also building a bad team to one game over .500 in a much worse conference. Absent a [Redacted]/Manning situation, you don't fire a coach unless you have a significant upgrade already teed up.

a few things:

1. it was rookie Jarrett Allen and he and a bunch of those other guys -- Lavert, Dinwiddie, Joe Harris. -- all went from late 1st round/2nd round picks to valuable rotation guys under Atkinson, thus his reputation as a developmental coach; only Russell was a high draft pick on that roster

2. the expected win thing is just Pythagorean Wins, so based on actual play not based on pre-season expectation or other types of projections based on roster

3. I don't think firing Borrego was the right move

Borrego just needed better assistants on his staff. He really needed a strong defense assistant coach (no, not him) and a former head coach on that bench as well. Just IMO.

I'm a season ticket holder right next to the Hornets bench and it was rare to see Borrego pull a player for a defensive lapse. That always stood out to me.

Last edited:
Borrego just needed better assistants on his staff. He really needed a strong defense assistant coach (no, not him) and a former head coach on that bench as well. Just IMO.

I'm a season ticket holder right next to the Hornets bench and it was rare to see Borrego pull a player for a defensive lapse. That always stood out to me.

Especially surprising after he watched Pop do so -- at the drop of a hat -- literally for years.

for what it's worth - the local Bay Area sports folks all seem to think very very highly of Atkinson

I mean are you stating they're better historically or better now?

Both actually. He’ll probably surpass Draymond next season but I wouldn’t be surprised if Poole surpasses him in 2-3 seasons.

Successfully in what sense? Hornets were on track for a playoff series early but kinda fizzled out, right?

i think all hornets fans have been wanting to try to move 13 and 15 for an established big, but in terms of the atkinson hire you have to think they are planning on giving him 13 and 15 and kai jones and jt thor and not making any big moves. maybe move 13 and 15 to move up to get a mark williams or something, that tracks as well. and hopefully he'll be good for bouknight and lamelo.

i mean if thats his edge over other coaches i think when you hire him thats the plan. and i have been souring on trying to acquire rudy with how much money he makes ($41mm average until 2026) unless he is the last piece your team needs to contend for the conference or something (not the hornets)

Back