• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

prob makes no sense for a reason i’m ignoring but would be dope if the suns, hornets and hawks could pull something off where the suns can end up with collins and some other value from charlotte.

i assume this is a sign and trade scenario for ayton? not sure what the hawks would be looking for in that one

i think all hornets fans have been wanting to try to move 13 and 15 for an established big, but in terms of the atkinson hire you have to think they are planning on giving him 13 and 15 and kai jones and jt thor and not making any big moves. maybe move 13 and 15 to move up to get a mark williams or something, that tracks as well. and hopefully he'll be good for bouknight and lamelo.

i mean if thats his edge over other coaches i think when you hire him thats the plan. and i have been souring on trying to acquire rudy with how much money he makes ($41mm average until 2026) unless he is the last piece your team needs to contend for the conference or something (not the hornets)

I mean, the Hornets would be a playoff team with Gobert. They are not a playoff team without him. There is at least a possibility that the Hornets could actually win a playoff series with Gobert on the team.

The team, as constructed, is a million miles away from contending for a championship. I'd settle for being competitive for the next 3-4 years of his contract.

i assume this is a sign and trade scenario for ayton? not sure what the hawks would be looking for in that one

Hayward maybe? Hayward plus some young talent to ATL, JC to PHX, Ayton to CLT. The problem with an Ayton sign and trade is that Ayton can't sign until after the draft, so 13 and 15 can't really be included unless there is obvious tampering that nobody else would get punished for but we would be given some sort of death penalty.

And I definitely hope Atkinson does well. Borrego never had an ERP to anchor the defense, so everyone was always scrambling on the perimeter. I would have liked to have seen what he could have done with a legitimate defensive center. Atkinson will definitely have a leg up if they can find one before this season starts.

That's what made the Montrezl (the Costco of pot apparently) such an odd signing. Why sign a short offensive-minded center who is just plain bad on defense?

i read the hawks were looking for picks, almost trying to salvage value for collins while they figure out what direction they want to go in. the sign and trade deadline would make it tricky though.

That's what made the Montrezl (the Costco of pot apparently) such an odd signing. Why sign a short offensive-minded center who is just plain bad on defense?

Eh, that was just a short-term rental to make a playoff push. He was a FA after this season and they only gave up Ish and a 2nd round project C who was going to be cut to get him. He was the best they could get at the deadline without giving up anything of value.

i read the hawks were looking for picks, almost trying to salvage value for collins while they figure out what direction they want to go in. the sign and trade deadline would make it tricky though.

I mean we could easily give them Hayward, 13 and 15 for JC and filler, and then try to leverage JC for Ayton after the draft. I don't think there is much downside to that. Worst case we are "stuck" with JC or could probably flip him to get Gobert.

Official 2021-22 NBA Season Thread - Celtics vs. Warriors for the Championship

I agree with the analysis that says Gobert’s value is maximized on a team that actually plays defense aside from him. I’m not sure he helps an offensive minded team get from a 7 or 8 seed to the second round.

Last edited:
These guys should be able to play defense. I mean, Oubre looks like God built him to play defense. He should be a damn good D player. Miles and PJ are capable and Rozier should be able to defend his ass off if he has a coach that makes him. Melo probably will never play defense in his life due to lack of interest. Cody is already a good defender.

LaMelo is a very good weakside help defender and he was 10th in the NBA in steals per game this year, so it is not a lack of interest. He has just never been properly coached until he got to the NBA, and Borrego was not a defensive coach. Plus he has a propensity to play over aggressive on the ball and foul and they need to keep him out of foul trouble. Hopefully this is an area where Atkinson can help.

Oubre, on the other hand, has been coached by Bill Self, Steve Kerr, Monty Williams, etc., and still cannot play an ounce of defense. I don't have any hope of him turning the corner.

Melo has interest in going for steals and constantly gambling on D. He doesn't seem to have interest in actual guarding, fighting through screens, challenging shots, etc. But that's just my observations.

These guys should be able to play defense. I mean, Oubre looks like God built him to play defense. He should be a damn good D player. Miles and PJ are capable and Rozier should be able to defend his ass off if he has a coach that makes him. Melo probably will never play defense in his life due to lack of interest. Cody is already a good defender.

might have been a problem with borrego huh :noidea:

why are they so desparate to get rid of collins now? just doesn't get along with trae?

Official 2021-22 NBA Season Thread - Celtics vs. Warriors for the Championship

why are they so desparate to get rid of collins now? just doesn't get along with trae?

It’s not worth it to pay an offensive minded true PF, Okungwu may be a better fit with Trae, need a big wing especially if Hunter doesn’t pan out, locker room issues, etc.

I don’t think they resign JC last year if they didn’t make that run. They fell off so they want to make moves. JC and Capela are their best chips.

Rockets trade Christian Wood to the Mavs for Boban Marjanovic, Sterling Brown, Trey Burke, Marquese Chriss and the #26 pick.

I assume this is for salary reasons, but who do the Rockets need to pay? Seems like a no-brainer trade for the Mavs.

Board Spurs donks have probably heard the story about how Doc Rivers and the Magic tried to recruit Tim Duncan to join the Magic but it fell apart.

The official story has been that Timmy asked Doc if family could join him on team flights and Doc said no which sunk any prospects. Now it comes out that his then-girlfriend/now ex-wife Amy, who plenty of us knew at Wake, actually asked the question.

https://airalamo.com/posts/grant-hill-shares-tim-duncan-plane-saga-details

[h=2]Grant Hill shares who really asked Doc Rivers the infamous question[/h]While it was previously attributed to Tim or someone else in his group, Hill finally shared on a recent episode of All the Smoke that it was Tim Duncan's girlfriend herself that asked the infamous question.
"Doc said no. It's a business trip -- that doesn't happen. I don't allow that," said Hill. "I didn't know San Antonio had started doing that. I was thinking that was a bold question. I didn't pay much attention to it." Hill didn't really think much of the exchange until his wife Tamia pointed out what she noticed.
"He ain't coming," she told him. "When she asked that question, her whole body language changed with that response."

Last edited:

They're committed to Trae who is truly terrible so they have to surround him with people who can best make him flame out as an 8 seed every year

If Wiseman can catch a ball within 8 feet of the basket and finish, he’ll do wonders for the Dubs’ offense.

Dell’s new woman is a major downgrade from his ex.

we go to a hole in the wall indian place regularly. about a month ago dell and his new gf came in and sat down and my wife commented on how ordinary she looked.

I don’t know how the Mavs got Wood for peanuts but thanks Rockets!

Actually seems to be good for both teams. Mavs can afford the one year flyer on him while adding a much needed big man. Rockets clear room for Sengun and their draft pick

Wood has moved teams twice in two years after breaking out

Curious if there are personality concerns there — he did get a one-game suspension for “insubordinate behavior”

Back