• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Gotta get to a top 10ish defense if you want to make it out of the first two rounds imo. There are exceptions to this but generally true

The interior defending is a joke. You can complain about refs all you want but Joel and Andre got to their spots effortlessly and then it was all arms. The zone was good but 90% of nba coaches would figure it out in a quarter in the playoffs and exploit it.

I don't disagree that their interior defenders are not good. But they are also not complete matadors. It is tough to play post D by body positioning when you get whistled for anything resembling contact, you are forced to back off. Plumlee had 5 fouls and PJ had 5 fouls as the two 5 defenders, and Bridges as the help defender had 4. That is basically 14 fouls called trying to defend one position. That significantly affects the type of defense that can be played.

In contrast, Embiid had 3 fouls called on him and Drummond had 1, when the Hornets run a much faster pace and attack the basket significantly more than the Sixers do (the Hornets dominated the points in the paint 56-34). It is two different games as far as what is allowed. Obviously they know it going in and they've made the adjustments necessary to still be able to win, but the reality of the situation from the league's standpoint is garbage.

I’m saying though watch their footwork on those calls, it’s horrible. Embiid gets a ton of calls to be sure but they’re not often when a guy beats him to the spot and defends him with arms straight up. He got high and low post spots so easily with little resistance in a slower set. The defense seemed to be trying more to deny the entry pass than to focus the 5 spot on protecting the rim or the pick guy on PnR. In any case it mostly worked, letting Embiid get his at the line and forcing the lack of ball handlers on the Sixers to just aimlessly pass around the perimeter in the halfcourt.

Gotta get to a top 10ish defense if you want to make it out of the first two rounds imo. There are exceptions to this but generally true

i'll bet most teams in the conference finals every year are top 10 in both.

last year:
suns: 7th O, 6th D
clips: 3rd O, 8th D
bucks: 5th O, 9th D
hawks: 9th O, 18th D*

*upset over the 13th O, 2nd D 76ers

warriors getting curb stomped by the bucks

i'll bet most teams in the conference finals every year are top 10 in both.

last year:
suns: 7th O, 6th D
clips: 3rd O, 8th D
bucks: 5th O, 9th D
hawks: 9th O, 18th D*

*upset over the 13th O, 2nd D 76ers

Yea exactly, the Hawks being the exception last year, they weren’t really built for a run, just got hot and played a team that collapsed epically

j2c6341.jpg

So how worried are you if you're the Thunder about SGA getting that max extension and then proceeding to go 41/28% this year. Rare to see a 24 year old drop off like that. Woof

Hadn't looked at the standings in awhile, didn't realize the Bulls had a 3 game lead on #1 in the East, Hawks significantly out of the 10 team playoff picture is just shocking.

I’m saying though watch their footwork on those calls, it’s horrible. Embiid gets a ton of calls to be sure but they’re not often when a guy beats him to the spot and defends him with arms straight up. He got high and low post spots so easily with little resistance in a slower set. The defense seemed to be trying more to deny the entry pass than to focus the 5 spot on protecting the rim or the pick guy on PnR. In any case it mostly worked, letting Embiid get his at the line and forcing the lack of ball handlers on the Sixers to just aimlessly pass around the perimeter in the halfcourt.

Right, no doubt a lot of the gameplan in that particular game was to let Embiid get the ball. If he has a Shaq mindset then he dunks on Plumlee every time down the court, that strategy backfires, and we get blown out. But with Embiid, for every great aggressive post move there is a dumbass fadeaway jumper, pullup three, or a behind the back dribble that forces a kickout or turnover. With his current supporting cast, try to let him beat himself, which worked this time.

One more comment about the Hornets D, or lack thereof. Overall they are up to 26th in the league on the season (were at 30 most of the time), but over the last 9 games (7-2) they are 8th. And those include 2 games against the Bucks along with games against the Sixers, Suns, and Nuggets. So they are clearly capable of playing decent D, hopefully Borrego can keep them committed to it.

The Grizz seem like the fun young team to root for

Grizz and Hornets.

Hawks and Travis Schlenk doing some not good work.

I just glanced at their depth chart and they have aging and injured Lou Williams and Chaundee Brown as key backups. That's a losing formula, and I assume injured Hunter is the key guy now, without him they are in trouble.

Lots of news out there about how Collins is frustrated with his role on the team.

Hadn't looked at the standings in awhile, didn't realize the Bulls had a 3 game lead on #1 in the East, Hawks significantly out of the 10 team playoff picture is just shocking.

Apparently, Reddish wanted out and it really affected the team's mentality, per The Athletic. With that, losing every player including some of the hardship contract guys to covid, and injuries, the Hawks fell behind big time this year. Hopefully, they can turn it around.

Last edited:
Grizz and Hornets.

Hawks and Travis Schlenk doing some not good work.

I just glanced at their depth chart and they have aging and injured Lou Williams and Chaundee Brown as key backups. That's a losing formula, and I assume injured Hunter is the key guy now, without him they are in trouble.

Chaundee is not a key back up and is no longer on the roster. We signed him to a hardship contract when we lost 17 players to Covid. https://www.nba.com/hawks/roster

Our Key back ups are supposed to be Delon Wright, Kevin Huerter, Gallo and Okongwu.

Luwawu-Cabarrot has been a decent fill in

Last edited:
the last player drafted by the Knicks that signed a second contract with the Knicks is Charlie Ward, drafted in 1994

that is bananas

Back