• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 NBA Thread - Preseason (and WNBA Finals talk)

Nets signed Millsap. Aldridge is cleared to play again and the Nets are favored to sign him.

Hawks extend Capela two more years, so now 4 more are on his deal. I mean I’m certainly down to keep this core together, but that feels…unnecessary? It’s not like Clint was going to be more expensive to extend a year from now instead of doing it now.

I think the conventional wisdom is early is best for extensions.

The Nets are freeing up some cap space by getting rid of DeAndre Jordan.

Jahlil Okafor was an early part of The Process and averaged 17.5 and 7 as a rookie. Now Okafor is 25 years old in the second year of a 2/4 contract and he's just on the other end of a salary dump.

Could win a championship if the Nets don't cut him.

Last edited:
And Woj is reporting DeAndre Jordan is probably going to the Lakers after getting bought out.

I've got an eye for talent, what can I say. Now even if Durant goes down the Nets still likely the favorites

Lakers trade Marc Gasol to the Grizz where he will likely be released. He'll essentially retire as a Grizzly. I assume they'll do something to honor him this season.

Nuggets extend Aaron Gordon for 4/$92. Is that immediately one of the worst contracts in the league? Dude should be in his prime by this point and averaged 12.4 and 5.7 overall last year, and only 10.2 and 4.7 after they got him from stat-stuffing Orlando. Maybe $23/year is simply the going rate for mediocrity in today's NBA, but I'm loving the 4/$97 Rozier extension even more now.

Official 2021 NBA Draft - 2021-22 Schedules Released

Yeah. That just looks really bad. 4/92 isn’t that far off from Collins getting 5/125.

They don’t need to pay a PF playing beside MPJ and Jokic. They just need a guy who can defend, rebound, and a make a corner three. The bigger priority should be finding a creator and scorer who can play with Murray.

Gordon's calling card is his defensive versatility, so posting some of his box score numbers alone is a bit misleading, but I agree that that contract at first pass is bad

Being versatile on defense and being good on defense aren't necessarily the same thing. If he can in theory defend 4 positions but defends all 4 of them poorly, I don't see how that helps anyone. I'd rather have someone who can only defend 1 position but does it well.

I'm no cap expert, but I struggle to see how the guy making $23M a year is going to be the fourth highest-paid player in a few years. MPJ should get the rookie max extension. He's going to be near All-Star level next year. He averaged around 22/8 the second half of the season.

I'm no cap expert, but I struggle to see how the guy making $23M a year is going to be the fourth highest-paid player in a few years. MPJ should get the rookie max extension. He's going to be near All-Star level next year. He averaged around 22/8 the second half of the season.

I think that Denver is planning on that. I think they looked at the next few years of FA and basically said they arent going to do much better than MPJ and Gordon. So they might as well at that point sign them both to extensions. When you combine that with how well they were playing after the Gordon trade (before Murrays injury) might as well roll the dice as a mid-market team

I think I also saw even with the extension and an MPJ extension they will have 10 guys on roster next year, which means they are just signing bench slots essentially to fill out roster

For comparison purposes, because this contract is so bewildering to me, since he was traded to Denver Gordon's stat line was:

10.2 pts / 4.7 rebs / 2.2 asts / 0.7 stls / 0.6 blcks / 50% FG% / 26.6 3pt%

The stats last year for another extremely versatile and completely mediocre defender, everyone's favorite Nic Batum, were:

8.1 pts / 4.7 rebs / 2.2 asts / 1.0 stls / 0.6 blcks / 46.4% FG % / 40.4 % 3pt%

Other than one more basket per game for Gordon and better 3pt shooting from Batum, those stats are pretty much dead nuts on. The Clippers are paying Batum an average of $3.2 for the next 2 seasons. Unless the Nuggets are counting on upside that has never given an inkling of materializing for anyone else, paying $23/year for Gordon makes absolutely zero sense. The Hornets paid that much for Batum and it put them in cap hell for years.

I think that Denver is planning on that. I think they looked at the next few years of FA and basically said they arent going to do much better than MPJ and Gordon. So they might as well at that point sign them both to extensions. When you combine that with how well they were playing after the Gordon trade (before Murrays injury) might as well roll the dice as a mid-market team

I think I also saw even with the extension and an MPJ extension they will have 10 guys on roster next year, which means they are just signing bench slots essentially to fill out roster

I kind of get that logic. Gordon turns 26 tomorrow. It's possible he has another gear going into his 30s. I'd just rather them fill that slot with a steady aging veteran (between a Jeff Green or Paul Millsap) and a young guy with upside and plan to pay a quality guard.

Just read The Athletic write-up about this deal. Basically what's been said about defensive versatility. They're going to be breaking the budget to keep this roster and paying the luxury tax to do it.

Last edited:
Back