• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Randomly turned on Furman/S. Carolina and Carter Whitt got a haircut. Looks a little bigger, too. They’ve made a big run with him in.

Randomly turned on Furman/S. Carolina and Carter Whitt got a haircut. Looks a little bigger, too. They’ve made a big run with him in.
10 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound

I wish him luck, but everyone is better off.

Nice win for Furman. They remain better ranked than us in KP.

10 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound

I wish him luck, but everyone is better off.

Nice win for Furman. They remain better ranked than us in KP.
Yeah, think this is his level for sure. Very much looking forward to Jao-time.

Whitt is 4 for 16 from the field on the season. His "O" rating is 79, which is an improvement over his time at WF, but it is still terrible. 100 is average.

Pat Kelsey can coach. Xavier and Wake really blew that one.

His intensity and time spent in the community and with the students really created that atmosphere. He'll be in the NCAA tournament with a 2nd team this year or shortly. Kelsey is way too old for us now to go on a 30 year run, but man maybe we should start working his 4th grade son. That kid is intense. He's been running the picket fence in the living room for years.

Was looking ahead a bit at the ACC/B1G Challenge and noticed that Iowa plays its next 3 games against ACC opponents.

Friday vs. Clemson (in FL)
next Tuesday vs. GT (@ Iowa)
Tuesday (12/6) vs. Duke (in NY @ MSG)

Weird scheduling quirk.

***Other interesting games:
NCSU vs. Kansas - Wed @ 12pm (Bahamas)
Duke vs. Oregon St - Thur @ 3pm (Oregon) - The Beavers went 3-28 last season... 3-1 this year (but still shitty)

Louisville's month is shaping up to be so brutal. They are 0-4, with two games remaining; both against top-25 teams (Maryland & Texas Tech).

I can't imagine too many ACC schools have managed to go winless in November.

Since firing Mack on January 26th, Louisville is 2-14 with wins at home vs. Clemson and against GT in the ACC Tourney.

Since firing Mack on January 26th, Louisville is 2-14 with wins at home vs. Clemson and against GT in the ACC Tourney.

Those two wins would look pretty good for any Wake basketball coach over the past 12 years.

Another decent matchup tonight is Ohio State vs. Cincinnati - 5pm / ESPN2

A team we supposedly handled in a secret scrimmage against a team we discuss too often given Wes Miller.

The turnaround is complete:

The NCAA has fully accepted action is an essential part of college basketball as Las Vegas will host the 2028 Final Four:

At this point, we're about 1 foot away from legally paying players to throw games for betting purposes and the NCAA would just shrug its shoulders launch an investigation 2 years later that would take at least 3 years culminating in announcement that the investigation was inconclusive and there would be no penalties.

At this point, we're about 1 foot away from legally paying players to throw games for betting purposes and the NCAA would just shrug its shoulders launch an investigation 2 years later that would take at least 3 years culminating in announcement that the investigation was inconclusive and there would be no penalties.
Agree. The next college basketball betting scandal is coming. If it's big enough, it could stem the expanding legalization of sports betting. That said, except for March, college hoop has become a fringe sport. So, a college basketball betting scandal may have to involve a big name program to get mass attention. FWIW, there have been murmurs this season of freaky line moves and connected covers in college football. If a major college football game is proven to be fixed. It will be a big deal.

What’s a connected cover?

An unusual amount of money placed on a side (let's say on L'ville +5 against WF, which causes the line to drop to 3), and then a resulting cover based on similarly unusual circumstances (like 6 TOs in one quarter).
FWIW, this is just an example because everyone here is aware of the WF/Lville game. There is no hint that this is one of the games with a eyebrow raising line-move and a related cover based on a team throwing up on itself.

I think he's just saying that there have been games where the line moves have been notable / unusual and then the ultimate result has corresponded with those moves.

An unusual amount of money placed on a side (let's say on L'ville +5 against WF, which causes the line to drop to 3), and then a resulting cover based on similarly unusual circumstances (like 6 TOs in one quarter).
FWIW, this is just an example because everyone here is aware of the WF/Lville game. There is no hint that this is one of the games with a eyebrow raising line-move and a related cover based on a team throwing up on itself.

FWIW, I actually wagered on the Louisville ML in that game and I did not pay any of our players to throw it.

Also, my tiny wagers do not typically lead to line moves.

Back