• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

The obvious solution is to go to quarters like women's hoops did and adopt more NBA rules. It's not difficult. I don't know why they're so committed to keeping halves. Yes, halves have 8 TV timeouts and one halftime as opposed to 4 TV timeouts, 2 quarters, and one halftime. But just make the quarter breaks a little longer.

Maryland was 10-5 while a member of the ACC.

Maryland is 1-7 as a member of the B1G.
Love it. Unfortunately, MD plays L'ville this year... That will be ugly.

FWIW, this would've been a good year to keep either FSU or L'ville out of the challenge (the ACC has 15 teams; the Big 10 14; so, someone has to skip, but instead it's the Pack who are left out). They would have a shot against MD; L'ville will get trucked.

I really don't know how you clean up officiating. There are a ton of D1 basketball teams and a limited number of "quality" referees. Applying rules consistently between leagues would be great, but it seems difficult to execute.

I mean, there are a myriad of problems with college basketball, but officiating is definitely up there.

One way to clean it up is to go to quarters so bad officiating doesn't slow down the game as much.

I really don't know how you clean up officiating. There are a ton of D1 basketball teams and a limited number of "quality" referees. Applying rules consistently between leagues would be great, but it seems difficult to execute.

I mean, there are a myriad of problems with college basketball, but officiating is definitely up there.

Yeah, the officiating and game flow are terrible. But the worst thing about the game now is roster turnover. Most coaches like a rotation of about 8 guys. If you turnover half of those eight guys every single season due to transfers you've got no growth within the program. It was okay if that happened to a couple of teams in the league every couple of years due to a coaching change, but now there is no continuity from one season to the next and the idea of a "team" is just something that lasts a few months.

One way to clean it up is to go to quarters so bad officiating doesn't slow down the game as much.
I'm on board with that. Probably doesn't help a ton, but it would be a step in the right direction.

It would help a lot. Teams couldn't get in the bonus with 10 minutes left and start a FT shooting contest.

It would help a lot. Teams couldn't get in the bonus with 10 minutes left and start a FT shooting contest.

My problem is less about the amount of fouls called and more about the inconsistencies of the calls being made.

Agree that going to quarters probably helps with watchability of games.

VT won game 1. ACC up 1-0. Pitt is up on NW in the first, despite the game being held at NW’s small, on-campus arena where they’ve had sooooo much success.

What does it say about Pitt that my initial take was “NW must be terrible” instead of “Pitt might be decent”?

Mike Young coached teams are a fun watch. And I had the exact same thought about Pitt.

Is it possible that the ACC could actually pull 1 of these Challenges out? Clemson, Wake, UVA, Duke, Miami, UNC and BC should all have a decent shot at winning.

Mike Young coached teams are a fun watch. And I had the exact same thought about Pitt.

Is it possible that the ACC could actually pull 1 of these Challenges out? Clemson, Wake, UVA, Duke, Miami, UNC and BC should all have a decent shot at winning.
It’s crazy that you start that last paragraph by asking if the ACC can actually pull one of these out since I vividly remember the ACC winning this thing every year for like a decade. Times have changed…

The ACC has been way off since UVA won its natty. Hopefully that is starting to change this year.

Back