• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

And Bacot goes out after 1 minute.
That looked really ugly. I'm guessing an unfortunate high ankle sprain. But Washington really played a good game in his place. That game was a rock fight, typical of UVA. UVA was floundering on O for the 1st 35 minutes, and Tony went to a 1 big (Vander Plas) and 4 guard line-up the rest of the way. I don't recall him doing that ever before, but it worked.

Calipari really setting himself up nice for that lifetime ambassadorship position. What a clusterfuck.
I’m a kentucky fan by birth, and a wake fan by the grace of god. I am so ready for Cal to be gone. He should have taken the UCLA job three years ago. He needs to take the Texas job. His antiquated ass is too stubborn and arrogant for today’s college bball game. At this point, I really don’t give a shit about losing the recruiting class next year, just go.

I’m a kentucky fan by birth, and a wake fan by the grace of god. I am so ready for Cal to be gone. He should have taken the UCLA job three years ago. He needs to take the Texas job. His antiquated ass is too stubborn and arrogant for today’s college bball game. At this point, I really don’t give a shit about losing the recruiting class next year, just go.
Interesting - I don't follow SEC ball. Can you explain what you mean by his coaching being too antiquated for today's game?

Interesting - I don't follow SEC ball. Can you explain what you mean by his coaching being too antiquated for today's game?

Back in his heyday with Memphis, Calipari earned accolades for his adaptations to the dribble-drive offense. He seemed near revolutionary, putting the ball in the hands of smart guards, and allowing them to attack and create. Derrick Rose dribble drove the Tigers to within a Mario Chalmers’ 3-pointer of a national title. But at Kentucky, Calipari became slightly more traditional, relying on true power forwards and bigs who played the game the way the position dictated. It worked well for a while — and especially well with Anthony Davis in 2012.

But along the way, the game evolved, tracking as college basketball always does in lockstep with the NBA. Even control-freak college coaches ceded a little, exchanging mistakes and player decision-making for a premium on shooting, spacing and spreading the floor.

Since Kentucky’s title only one national-championship team — 2013 Louisville — has shot worse than 36 percent from the arc. In that same span, Kentucky has shot better than 36 percent just twice, this year and in 2016. “Their offense is archaic,’’ says one coach. “It’s gotta be the same s— he was running with the New Jersey Nets.” Predictable is how another coach describes it, so much so that his team spent little time worrying about sets and simply concentrated on player tendencies. “Yeah, he’s been running the same stuff for years,’’ adds another. “When you have stud players, though, it works. When you’re running floppy action for Tyler Herro, that’s a bucket. It’s a little different if it’s not him.’’

Calipari purposefully went out and sought shooters in the transfer portal (Antonio Reeves from Illinois State and C.J. Fredrick from Iowa). Yet it hasn’t made a significant bounce in the overall offense. “Well, that’s because if you don’t run good offense to get open shots, it doesn’t matter how many good 3-point shooters you have,’’ a coach says.

Another coach specifically pointed to the Wildcats’ pace and lack of precision, that they “jogged” through cuts. “You sprint, and the defense is like, what are they doing? Where are they going? Otherwise it’s pretty easy,’’ he says.

They run the shot clock down every play, weaves are slow and go nowhere, they clog the lane with two non shooting bigs, they NEVER run plays to get open looks from 3. It’s pg hero ball. They also suck at fts, but that’s been every Cal team since the beginning of time.

Looking at kenpom it seems UK has more of a problem on defense than offense.
Allowing over a point per possession to bottom 10 team FAMU and losing the effiency battle despite winning by 20 points still is an absolute marvel. FAMU has had an adjusted offensive effiency over 100 (one point per possession) twice this year and posted a 119 against Kentucky).

Kentucky fell over 20 spots in Torvik and is now a couple slots behind Wake.

An interesting off the radar game tonight:

16-1 #22 ranked Charleston (coached by former WF assistant Pat Kelsey) has the longest current CBB winning streak at 15. They play at UNCW, who is 14-3, and has the nations second longest current winning streak at 13. Charleston is a 2 point favorite. UNCW swept Charleston last year.

An interesting off the radar game tonight:

16-1 #22 ranked Charleston (coached by former WF assistant Pat Kelsey) has the longest current CBB winning streak at 15. They play at UNCW, who is 14-3, and has the nations second longest current winning streak at 13. Charleston is a 2 point favorite. UNCW swept Charleston last year.
Kelsey is,once again, doing a great job. He is also continuing a great tradition at Charleston. The following list was shown during a recent Charleston game:

ALL-TIME NCAA DIVISION 1 WINNING PERCENTAGES:
Kentucky- .762
UNC- .735
Kansas- .727
Duke- .710
UCLA- .688
UNLV- .687
CHARLESTON-.685

Excluding the COVID year, they have 3 losing seasons in the last 25 years. The second year of Cremins, final year of Wojcik, then the first year of Earl Grant. Pretty incredible.

I've liked Grant and think he's as good as BC can get and is doing fairly well there, especially when you consider what BC has been the last 15-20 years.

Wonder if the KY businessmen that paid Oscar Tshiebwe seven figures+ to stay in school want their money back.

He’s probably stacking his cash for that Coach Cal buyout.

I don't think coach is very good.

Because Duke with coach is very bad.

Duke, Wisconsin, and Va Tech keep losing. Resume gets weaker daily. Going to have to take matters in their own hands and just win the ACCT.

Back