• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 NBA Offseason - Aces win WNBA Finals; Preseason; NBA Fantasy League last call

God those Wemby highlights have me hyped. He looked so much more comfortable than the little he played in summer league.

I was instantly sold on playing Wemby at PF. It gives him much more freedom and makes him a much tougher matchup. If Collins can hit his threes, they're going to be very dangerous. Bassey and Osman looked good too. Those two and Sochan should make a nice deep post rotation.

I'm concerned about guard depth. Branham was effectively the backup PG and Wesley struggled as the #3 PG. Graham is who he is an could fit in as the second unit guard. I was hoping Reggie Bullock would be in this spot. Primo could have been this guy too. I don't want Wesley to go to Austin because I'd rather see Rice and Cissiko be the primary playmakers there.

The plan may be for Sochan to be the primary playmaker for the second unit with Branham.

I'd like to see the Spurs trade for Brogdon. The available FA PGs like Ish, Hill, Wall, and Rivers don't impress me enough. It would be worth it to see if the Blazers would take multiple 2nds for him.

So the Hornets passed on a guard and start Terry Rozier and drafted a guy who couldn't start at either forward spot.
... yet. One of their projected forwards just missed the entire season for beating his babymama, and the other is chronically injured. If the two of them make it through an entire season, then it is a coup that they got the #2 pick to begin with.

That is separate from the fact that nothing in last night's game did anything to persuade me that Brandon Miller does not play like a giant pussy and is generally limited to shooting 3s, thus significantly negating his size. I still would have drafted Scoot.

Hornets missed on Scoot and Panthers missed on Stroud in the same draft year. Hopefully both franchises suck again and don’t whiff with their top picks again.

At least with the Hornets there is a glimmer of long term hope with MJ selling the team.

The Hornets are already ridiculous but nobody bothers to look.

never forget that Kupchak selected Duren at #13, then traded him for the #28 pick in the 2023 draft (ended up being Nick Smith - who might actually be pretty good) + 4 second round picks

what an idiot

Hornets went all in on the 2021 draft, which looks weak to me.

In theory, I guess the Hornets could have had this lineup:

Scoot
LaMelo
Miles B.
Sengun (not sure they would have seen that guy's talent); more of a 6'10" C
Duren

Would lead the league in rebounds, and be a very tough squad in the paint!

never forget that Kupchak selected Duren at #13, then traded him for the #28 pick in the 2023 draft (ended up being Nick Smith - who might actually be pretty good) + 4 second round picks

what an idiot
Yeah on limited sample size and need I'd probably take Mark Williams and Nick Smith, plus the 4 picks, over Jalen Duren and AJ Griffin, which would have been the alternative. Plus, the trade had minimal to do with who they were drafting and primarily to clear cap space to extend Miles Bridges, which obviously didn't materialize for other reasons. Overall it is still likely a net positive move by Kupchak.

Yeah on limited sample size and need I'd probably take Mark Williams and Nick Smith, plus the 4 picks, over Jalen Duren and AJ Griffin, which would have been the alternative. Plus, the trade had minimal to do with who they were drafting and primarily to clear cap space to extend Miles Bridges, which obviously didn't materialize for other reasons. Overall it is still likely a net positive move by Kupchak.

nah

and you could have had duren and mark williams

how is it a net positive to trade a 19 year old that's already one of the better rebounders in the NBA for a handful of 2nd round picks?!

Because they were never going to have Mark Williams and Jalen Duren at the same position on the same contract timeline. That is stupid for both players and the team.

It was always going to be one or the other. It was always going to be a center and a guard/wing. They drafted the center, and delayed the guard a year to sign the wing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Smith is the better rookie (over Miller who pussyfoots around the 3pt line) at the end of this season.

I want to make a t shirt about 2&2's pussyfooting quote. I think I like it because it sounds like something my father would have said about me. Ah the memories

eh - it would actually make a lot of sense to have duren and williams right now

Wizards played the Cairns Taipans (from Australia) in an exhibition last night. Was randomly watching and saw Bobi K playing for the Taipans. He had a rough outing, shooting 1-12 from the field.

The Wizards may be the worst team in the NBA this year and won by 63 (yes, 63 points). I watched the game for about 5 minutes. The Wizards could have won by 100 if they wanted to. During the game, Klintman was identified by the announcers as a 1st round pick in the 2024 draft. FWIW, quite a few NBA draft websites include Klintman as a first round pick. Then again, there is plenty of time for many draft candidates to play themselves in or out of the the 2024 first round.

“We’ve gotten more data, and it just doesn’t show that resting, sitting guys out correlates with lack of injuries, or fatigue, or anything like that,” Dumars said. “What it does show is maybe guys aren’t as efficient on the second night of a back-to-back.”

Dumars added that the “culture” in the NBA should be that “every player should want to play 82 games,”

“To offer a hint of just how commonplace it had become, of the top 50 scorers in the NBA last season, only 12 played in at least 70 of the league’s 82 regular-season games. Not all of those games missed were due to load management, but it’s still far too many absences from a team sport built on the marketability of stars.

There was a January set of games in Cleveland last season, on a Friday and Saturday night, when the Warriors on Friday kept Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Andrew Wiggins out, even though only Wiggins was injured (the Warriors had played the night before). On Saturday, the Bucks kept Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton out.

That’s six All-Stars out of action in one weekend of games in one city.

As recently as last February, during All-Star weekend, NBA commissioner Adam Silver rejected the notion that star players were missing too many games. He said “there is real medical data and scientific data about what’s appropriate.”

But in September, as the league, in conjunction with its players’ union, created new policies to restrict when they may rest players who are not obviously injured, Silver changed his tune, saying “frankly, the science is inconclusive” and “we don’t see any statistical data suggesting that players increase their likelihood of getting injured as they go further along in the season.”

I’d be interested if that analysis accounts for all the variables that also affect fitness that teams have access to data for but the league doesn’t (practice/strength training data, nutrition, sleep, etc).

Good advanced teams are maximizing and optimizing performance the likes of which prior generations just simply weren’t. It’s dumb to be like LARRY LEGEND DIDNT TAKE DAYS OFF yeah he’d be huffing 30 seconds into the quarter against modern offenses and defenses that spread and run the floor too.

It’s sketchy that the NBA changed the rules around load management in advance of TV negotiations. Then all of a sudden they come out months later in the preseason and say the research shows load management doesn’t matter.

Back