• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 NBA Offseason - Aces win WNBA Finals; Preseason; NBA Fantasy League last call

“We’ve gotten more data, and it just doesn’t show that resting, sitting guys out correlates with lack of injuries, or fatigue, or anything like that,” Dumars said. “What it does show is maybe guys aren’t as efficient on the second night of a back-to-back.”

Dumars added that the “culture” in the NBA should be that “every player should want to play 82 games,”

“To offer a hint of just how commonplace it had become, of the top 50 scorers in the NBA last season, only 12 played in at least 70 of the league’s 82 regular-season games. Not all of those games missed were due to load management, but it’s still far too many absences from a team sport built on the marketability of stars.

There was a January set of games in Cleveland last season, on a Friday and Saturday night, when the Warriors on Friday kept Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Andrew Wiggins out, even though only Wiggins was injured (the Warriors had played the night before). On Saturday, the Bucks kept Giannis Antetokounmpo and Khris Middleton out.

That’s six All-Stars out of action in one weekend of games in one city.

As recently as last February, during All-Star weekend, NBA commissioner Adam Silver rejected the notion that star players were missing too many games. He said “there is real medical data and scientific data about what’s appropriate.”

But in September, as the league, in conjunction with its players’ union, created new policies to restrict when they may rest players who are not obviously injured, Silver changed his tune, saying “frankly, the science is inconclusive” and “we don’t see any statistical data suggesting that players increase their likelihood of getting injured as they go further along in the season.”

ph, i wanna see you destroy the premise of this research as a quant

this was basically my response to this story:

... yet. One of their projected forwards just missed the entire season for beating his babymama, and the other is chronically injured. If the two of them make it through an entire season, then it is a coup that they got the #2 pick to begin with.

That is separate from the fact that nothing in last night's game did anything to persuade me that Brandon Miller does not play like a giant pussy and is generally limited to shooting 3s, thus significantly negating his size. I still would have drafted Scoot.
This post isn't even 12 hours old and there is another warrant out for Miles Bridges' arrest. This one likely seems like a technicality as it is from failure to comply with summons service from the prior incident, and the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department hasn't made any real efforts to serve anything on anyone since Covid. But still, I imagine it violates some terms of his settlement with the NBA.

Aces up on the Liberty 38-19 in the 1st quarter, most 1st quarter points in a WNBA Final.

Strick, that tweet thread is a good starting point. The NBA kind of played themselves with this "revelation." It opens up more questions than it answers. Fans and media just accepted that "analytics" supported load management. We didn't question it. We just accepted there was some rationale behind it. But we don't even know the basic theory behind load management. Is it about fewer chances to get injured? As the tweet says, we don't need data to confirm that. But the second game of a back-to-back and Game 1 of the First Round are both chances to get injured. The question is how much of a chance.

I don't even know what these studies look like. I assume the goal is to get as many players as healthy for the playoffs. But is that the outcome of the studies? Are the studies about how much rest time leads to the lowest risk of injury?

It should be as simple as the league releasing a report or linking peer-reviewed studies. Otherwise, it looks like teams can't get away with load management anymore so they're changing course.

As a mixed methods researcher, I want to know more about team culture around playing time. Players say they want to play. So how do players want to manage back-to-backs? Do they prefer to sit? Do they want to negotiate minutes restrictions? I'd talk to team doctors and medical staff to see how they engage with research and make decisions.

It’s about the league not wanting a watered down product and trying to cook stats to fit

Just read a little on the Bridges deal. Doesn’t he need to be gone now?
If it stems from the original incident I would think it would have been covered in the settlement, but who knows.

The other aspect of this is that this week Mecklenburg County is transitioning its historical and current court filing database from the old VCAP system from the 90s to a wholly separate system. It includes all warrants, orders, complaints, pleadings, everything. Everything is fucked up in the transition, the county clerk and sheriff's department have been sending emails for weeks saying to bear with them through the process. So I know WSOC tweeted about this and ESPN picked up on it so it likely is legit, but there is also a real possibility that this is the system upgrade recycling dates on the prior filings so they look like new filings in a data search. The coincidence is really strong. I don't think any of the court offices are doing any administrative filings this week during the transition, it is really strange that they would choose now to initiate it. Basically the only new filings this week are if someone gets killed or similar.

Yeah. I set it up to 16. That makes 10.

Ph
Strick
Kory
guitardeac
AJMorgan
MHBDemon
atldeac23
Mt. Olive
wvudeac
MHBDemon's friend
Strick has two friends who are in. That brings us to 12.

Anybody else want in? @myDeaconmyhand, you're the reigning champ.
PhDeac
@Strickland33
@Kory
@guitardeac
@AJMorgan
@MHBDemon
@atldeac23
@Mt. Olive
@wvudeac

We have 9 posters interested in the league. Feel free to invite friends off the board. I'd like to have the league members set by Thursday, October 12. I've set the draft time to Thursday, October 19 at 9pm. I'm open to change it if necessary.

Maybe.

Dude dunked on Wemby and got dunked out of the league.

This is where the Be The Change and similar is all bullshit. The NBA PA should have seen what was going on with this dude and got him some significant form of mental health treatment, or possibly committed. Instead, they all laugh at him, the team is basically forced to cut him because of his nonsensical, divisive social media rants, and he'll likely be back in the Bahamas living in a cardboard box this time next year.

There are some mindblowing stats just in the first three paragraphs. Wow.

i'm a fan of truehoop, which is critical of the nba media landscape

I think he has a valid point

I do like Shams as a dude -- woj seems like an ass -- but it does feel like mainstream nba reporting is just scoops and windhorst-style boosterism of stars

i really have a hard time following or caring about the hornets with bridges on the team

Just finished the Shams article. Interesting stuff. I can only imagine being a 29 year old making 7 figures with most of the NBA at my fingertips. That's crazy. But it seems like the job has a vice grip on his life so he can't really enjoy it. He can't go on dates or play pickup ball or hang out with friends without fear of missing scoops.

Sorry I thought I had posted that I am out. I dont think I have the time unfortunately. Have fun
I'll make one last pitch. This shouldn't be an intensive league. Transactions are limited. The league cut down on load management should simplify the league as well. There should be fewer players sitting out at the last minute.

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm gonna have to drop out of the fantasy league too, been offered a new job and the hours aren't gonna work for me anymore.

I'll make one last pitch. This shouldn't be an intensive league. Transactions are limited. The league cut down on load management should simplify the league as well. There should be fewer players sitting out at the last minute.
Have you thought about only doing once a week lineups?

Back