• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022 College Football Thread: Georgia is Back to Back Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both hits in both games were most definitely targeting. No idea what replay was doing in either one. Sipping the champagne already??

Enforcement of targeting continues to be a mess. Harrison basically got knocked the fuck out, yet targeting was somehow overturned. Apparently replay doesn’t have sound because you could hear the helmet to helmet contact. Not to mention the end of the Michigan game - which was textbook targeting. And I say this is a guy who dislikes Michigan and Ohio State as much as anybody outside the ACC.

Targeting in college football is a total hot mess. I don't object to a targeting penalty but the NCAA needs to get its head out of its collective ass and refine targeting. I think it needs to be FAR, FAR more limited in scope. These athletes are just too fucking good and fast and some old fart spends 5 minutes with super slow-motion and ruins a kid's dreams.

I mean, if a couple tough replay overturns don’t go against him, he beats the best team in the country in their own backyard missing his top 2 RBs, top 2 WRs, and only viable TE. The tOSU defense is a continued nightmare.
The game was really horribly officiated. Biff will defend. Dumb end.

Not sure if I missed it but can anyone explain the Bowers out of bounds ruling to me? I don’t see how it can be correct. If the ball isn’t ruled down where it breaks the vertical plane of the sideline, every single time a players dives forward out of bounds, they should be given an extra 3-5 yards and the ball would be spotted where they touch down OB. That doesn’t happen. It’s also why QBs reach the ball back in bounds past the 1st down marker when going OB.

@tigerswood you should be very proud of that Ohio team of yours. That’s probably the greatest game they ever played.

Not sure if I missed it but can anyone explain the Bowers out of bounds ruling to me? I don’t see how it can be correct. If the ball isn’t ruled down where it breaks the vertical plane of the sideline, every single time a players dives forward out of bounds, they should be given an extra 3-5 yards and the ball would be spotted where they touch down OB. That doesn’t happen. It’s also why QBs reach the ball back in bounds past the 1st down marker when going OB.

The ball didn't go out of bounds where the initial spot said it did. He supported his whole body on one hand in bounds thus the proper spot was the location of the ball when his elbow landed. The official mistakenly thought his foot hit out of bounds when it was actually above the out of bounds space. Based on replay, the ball crossed the sideline where it was spotted after the replay.

Interesting. Spot where the ball crossed the vertical OB plane looked well short to us, but we didn’t have sound to hear the explanation.

It’s also pretty comical that the refs explained to Day that MHJr wasn’t hit in the head and thus the targeting was picked up. Tough to get a concussion without getting hit in the head.

Interesting. Spot where the ball crossed the vertical OB plane looked well short to us, but we didn’t have sound to hear the explanation.

It’s also pretty comical that the refs explained to Day that MHJr wasn’t hit in the head and thus the targeting was picked up. Tough to get a concussion without getting hit in the head.

His head hit the ground.

I was really impressed by how hard the Ohio team played, even though they came up short.

Tua would like a word.

Tua would like a word.
Right, but MHJr looked like he may have been unconscious before he even hit the ground. If not, he probably catches the ball, which would have been insane. There is also a 100% chance that would have been ruled unnecessary roughness in the pros.

It just seemed like Michigan had a poor game plan against the 3-5-5. The line would block the 3 DL, even doubling two of them but didn't block the LBs and that just left them free to hunt down the RB. When Michigan couldn't control the ground game like they're used to, all hell broke loose and they had to adapt.

Crazy game, exciting game. Much credit to TCU and Duggan. Stronger than anticipated. The refs seemed horrible.

It just seemed like Michigan had a poor game plan against the 3-5-5. The line would block the 3 DL, even doubling two of them but didn't block the LBs and that just left them free to hunt down the RB. When Michigan couldn't control the ground game like they're used to, all hell broke loose and they had to adapt.

Crazy game, exciting game. Much credit to TCU and Duggan. Stronger than anticipated. The refs seemed horrible.
I mean, I think anyone would have a hard time scheming against 13 defenders.

Regarding:

The UM TD/No TD. I couldn't tell on replay where the ball was. It bounced and was secured/caught immediately after the little bounce. I've paused the replay and he was short of the goalline, but I couldn't tell if the ball had bounced at that point, hadn't, or was in mid-bounce. At the pause point, he was probably 6-12 inches from the goalline. They always do spots in half yard increments, which is stupid to me considering most of the time of the player spot doesn't fit so neatly within those limitations.

The targeting at the end that wasn't called. I'm guessing they didn't want to end the game that way. Two factors-- the ball carrier would be considered a runner. Also, while it isn't written in the rules, it was a fumble and a mad scrum, laterals, etc... I mean, that's a recipe for chaos. It wouldn't excuse targeting, but it was probably one of those "let it slide" factors. He was about a millisecond from being down, which would've made it a dead ball foul, still TCU's ball but with targeting attached. Probably should've been called targeting, but it would've felt dirty.

I need to watch that hit on Harrison again. Looked to me like he turned and hit with his shoulder into the shoulder and the impact was just what it was. The whiplash made it look nasty. I guess we can get into defenseless players, but the timing of that hit was perfect.

Back