• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022 College Football Thread: Georgia is Back to Back Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

FoieYhTXgAEhdQJ
Why just now in February?

I can’t imagine that’s good for the ACC if they are willing to pay that much money for basically one year earlier.

Always good to start off with reasonable expectations.

Remember when I was criticized on here for saying schools / boosters throwing millions at football recruits and players is going to take away funding from non-revenue sports (citing a New York Times article interviewing an AD), and Cam from 247 came on here to tell me how wrong I was and that everyone but him is lying about the financials of athletic departments? Well, Mr. Cam just tweeted about how NOTRE DAME of all schools is too broke to pay for the new Offensive Coordinator they wanted for their football team. If ND is too broke to make a very important football hire, maybe I, and all of the evidence from the NYTimes and public data on university budgets, was right in saying that there isn't some imaginary huge pool of extra cash in athletic departments to use to pay football players. It would certainly appear as though any money coming out of athletic departments and going direct from booster to recruit would lead to less money for non-revenue sports that rely on athletic department donations to survive.

How can college football writers say both that athletic departments are flush with cash and are simply lying when they say they're barely profitable, but also say that one of the richest programs is too broke to make a simple hire? The hypocrisy among college football writers is laughable and their lack of honesty and professionalism has contributed to the screwing over of collegiate athletics outside of the 32ish football programs that make said journalists the most money.

Last edited:
Todd Monken to the Ravens. Mike Bobo promoted to Georgia OC; same job he had from 2007 to 2014.

I thought Georgia fans hated Bobo

Only because he and Richt weren't winning national championships when they had guys like Matthew Stafford, AJ Green, Knowshon Moreno, and Todd Gurley on offense.

Remember when I was criticized on here for saying schools / boosters throwing millions at football recruits and players is going to take away funding from non-revenue sports (citing a New York Times article interviewing an AD), and Cam from 247 came on here to tell me how wrong I was and that everyone but him is lying about the financials of athletic departments? Well, Mr. Cam just tweeted about how NOTRE DAME of all schools is too broke to pay for the new Offensive Coordinator they wanted for their football team. If ND is too broke to make a very important football hire, maybe I, and all of the evidence from the NYTimes and public data on university budgets, was right in saying that there isn't some imaginary huge pool of extra cash in athletic departments to use to pay football players. It would certainly appear as though any money coming out of athletic departments and going direct from booster to recruit would lead to less money for non-revenue sports that rely on athletic department donations to survive.

How can college football writers say both that athletic departments are flush with cash and are simply lying when they say they're barely profitable, but also say that one of the richest programs is too broke to make a simple hire? The hypocrisy among college football writers is laughable and their lack of honesty and professionalism has contributed to the screwing over of collegiate athletics outside of the 32ish football programs that make said journalists the most money.
I uh... you really misread what I was saying in that tweet huh?

The point wasn't the fact that they're too poor to do it (they're not), the point is the administration publically flaunting a guy around on campus and at a sporting event and then deciding to not pay the buyout is embarassing. The entire joke from other sportswriters isn't the fact that they're actually too broke for it, but they made themselves and their head coach look like idiots for absolutely no reason. You can make an OC hire in relative secrecy, and the buyouts weren't something that just randomly popped up over the weekend or on Monday morning, we've all known said OC and his OL coach have a pretty large buyout. If you weren't willing to do pay those, you shouldn't have thrown it in everyone's faces and acted like this was some done deal, and you deserve to get dunked on for trying to be cheap.

Again: you do you, but I'm going to trust the people who have been reporting on this stuff for years and say "hey take all these things with a grain of salt" when you have schools not filing FRS reports correctly and it just not being some big legal deal. LSU omitted $140M in debt and misclassified another $7M. The books are messy and it's ok to say that

Back