• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saban has been dominant at Bama for so long that its forgotten that Bama football was mostly just good and sometimes pretty mediocre, or even worse, for more than twenty years from the end of the Bryant era (1982) until they hired Saban (2007).

Under Gene Stallings, Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike DuBose (my personal fave), Dennis Franchione and Mike Shula (how did he get the Bama job?), Bama finished in the top 4 only once in 24 seasons, in the top 10 just 6 times, and unranked (think about that... a Bama team finishing a season unranked) 10 times in 24 seasons.

Who is the heir apparent at Bama? You rarely hear much talk about that. Are they going to promote/bring back one of Saban's guys or look to make another big splash?
They could do both at once. That is, make a big splash with the Saban guy they bring back. If they just take the latest guy in the Saban coaching career rehab seat, it might not go well for them.

No matter what, odds are they undergo something of a down period after Saban, much like what happened after Bear was forced to retire.

They could do both at once. That is, make a big splash with the Saban guy they bring back. If they just take the latest guy in the Saban coaching career rehab seat, it might not go well for them.

No matter what, odds are they undergo something of a down period after Saban, much like what happened after Bear was forced to retire.
Who is the biggest name in the Saban coaching tree who would come? Kiffin? Mel Tucker? Kirby, Sark, and Jimbo are the biggest ones he's had but doubt they'd leave.

Who is the biggest name in the Saban coaching tree who would come? Kiffin? Mel Tucker? Kirby, Sark, and Jimbo are the biggest ones he's had but doubt they'd leave.
If Dan Lanning continues to he successful at Oregon I could see him as an option as he comes from the Saban/Kirby tree. Could also see them do a similar move as UGA with Kirby and hire Glen Schumann (UGA's co-DC/ILB coach).

Uhh Gene Stallings won a national championship at the Sugar Bowl against Miami in 1992. I know. I was there. It was the day after Wake beat Oregon in the Poulan Weed Eater Independence Bowl.

Perkins had the impossible job of following Bear.

Curry averaged 9.3 wins in three seasons and tied for first place in the conference in his final season. He just couldn't beat Auburn -- "Don't worry, they've got Curry." Stallings won with a lot of Curry recruits.

Dubose and Franchione were both bad hires, but both had a 10-win seasons. Shula outright sucked. There was also some probation sprinkled into that era.

Mel Tucker ? LOL !

Who is the heir apparent at Bama? You rarely hear much talk about that. Are they going to promote/bring back one of Saban's guys or look to make another big splash?
There is an ACC coach who is from Alabama and apparently was some sort of scrub WR at Bama back in the day. Played and coached under Stallings. He is only 53, I could see the Crimson Boosters making him a godfather offer.

Uhh Gene Stallings won a national championship at the Sugar Bowl against Miami in 1992. I know. I was there. It was the day after Wake beat Oregon in the Poulan Weed Eater Independence Bowl.

Perkins had the impossible job of following Bear.

Curry averaged 9.3 wins in three seasons and tied for first place in the conference in his final season. He just couldn't beat Auburn -- "Don't worry, they've got Curry." Stallings won with a lot of Curry recruits.

Dubose and Franchione were both bad hires, but both had a 10-win seasons. Shula outright sucked. There was also some probation sprinkled into that era.
Uhh, yes, that was the one time in 24 years that Bama finished in the top 4 between Bear and Saban, and I was there too. George Teague took over the game. Miami was a big favorite.

Can't leave out Mike Price as a bad hire during that period. Didn't make it to the 2003 season after he hired a stripper to tuck him into bed in Pensacola. Roll Tide.

There is an ACC coach who is from Alabama and apparently was some sort of scrub WR at Bama back in the day. Played and coached under Stallings. He is only 53, I could see the Crimson Boosters making him a godfather offer.
yeah I know, was just talking from the Saban tree. I doubt he'd leave but you never know.

Uhh, yes, that was the one time in 24 years that Bama finished in the top 4 between Bear and Saban, and I was there too. George Teague took over the game. Miami was a big favorite.

Can't leave out Mike Price as a bad hire during that period. Didn't make it to the 2003 season after he hired a stripper to tuck him into bed in Pensacola. Roll Tide.

Conversely, Clemson had no top four finishes during those 24 years, with a high water mark of #9.

@AuburnPanic40 what is the level of veracity behind the Bryan Harsin driving his company car home to Boise after getting fired and some Sports Department intern flew out there with the extra key and had to drive it back?

Saban's only 71. They've got time.

Man I forgot about Mike Price How strange that they lost Franchione to sanctions and aTm (he was considered a great hire at the time and they wanted to keep him), then Price to a stripper. Shula had to deal with those sanctions and created problems of his own, then along came Saban.

@AuburnPanic40 what is the level of veracity behind the Bryan Harsin driving his company car home to Boise after getting fired and some Sports Department intern flew out there with the extra key and had to drive it back?
It 100% happened. Also heard that the Harsin women and their friends were in legit hysterics when the guy from Auburn came and picked it up but I am not 100% whether that actually happened. However it would be very much in line with their now legendary antics around Auburn during Harsin's tenure. An objectively bizarre family by most standards but especially so by Auburn standards. I am not one to judge decisions other individuals make with regards to their personal appearance and/or leisure activities but lets just say both Auburn University and the Auburn city/community is a kind of bastion of more traditional southern attitudes in those space.

Also most of that stuff Auburn got dogged for in the media was actually true, not saying the rapid dissemination of said information was acceptable or ethical but yeah they were known as the Hardashians for a reason and performance on the field and in recruiting didn't help with deescalating the situation.

Back