• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised nobody is talking about NC State's AD being the head of the 13 member selection committee and one of the remaining 12 being Jim "Take a Knee" Grobe.

Seems like Boo sent a straight up Fuck You to FSU. The Mitt Shaw tweet seems like the same story.

Have to think that f$u's shenanigans about leaving the ACC didn't help matters any.

You reap what you sow.

As much I would have liked to have seen the SEC shutout entirely for the sheer giggles and as much as I would have liked Mich to play a gimped FSU team, that would have felt really cheap.

I don't think the ACC got screwed. If FSU has Travis and plays well against LOU, they're in. If FSU puts LOU away in convincing fashion, they're in. FSU came out and won the game but certainly didn't look dominant.

And ultimately the committees job is to find the best 4 teams.

Now...where is Biff?
Biff conspicuously absent here after 1) UGA squeaking by GT a week ago and 2) UGA losing to Bama

I doubt that anyone that agrees with the decision to leave FSU out of the playoffs has what it takes to walk into the FSU locker room, inform them of the decision and then answer their questions. Life is so much easier when a person is not held accountable for their decisions.

Here's the statement by FSU's AD:
"The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole."

"The argument of whether a team is the 'most deserving OR best' is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The 2023 Florida State Seminoles are the epitome of a total TEAM. To eliminate them from a chance to compete for a national championship is an unwarranted injustice that shows complete disregard and disrespect for their performance and accomplishments. It is unforgiveable."

"The fact that this team has continued to close out victories in dominant fashion facing our current quarterback situation should have ENHANCED our case to get a playoff berth EARNED on the field. Instead, the committee decided to elevate themselves and 'make history' today by departing from what makes this sport great by excluding an undefeated Power 5 conference champion for the first time since the advent of the BCS/CFP era that began 25 years ago. This ridiculous decision is a departure from the competitive expectations that have stood the test of time in college football." "Wins matter. Losses matter. Those that compete in the arena know this. Those on the committee who also competed in the sport and should have known this have forgotten it. Today, they changed the way success is assessed in college football, from a tangible metric - winning on the field - to an intangible, subjective one. Evidently, predicting the future matters more."

"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff. And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

"Our players, coaches, and fans - as well as all those who love this sport - deserve better. The committee failed college football today."
As I’ve said before here, I don’t like FSU, but I agree with them in this instance. The part of the statement where they say “They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance” is a perfect description of the root issue here.

If it wasn't the last year of the 4 team CFP I would care more about the precedent this sets. Hell, if college football wasn't already destroyed by the mega conferences and unregulated "pay to play" football, I would probably care, but its just a confidence game now and we're all the rubes getting tricked into believing there is a chance to win.

FSU has painted itself into quite the corner. As Ph mentioned, they did very little to help themselves by trashing their conference and now they expect that "trashy" conference to earn respect?

Second, will they now decide this is even more reason to leave the ACC and potentially make themselves even more irrelevant by becoming a middling team in the B1G or SEC?

Again, Bama winning changed the calculus but FSU has done itself no favors with the incessant whining and bitching.

people intuitively understand that it’s more than just winning all the games you played because nobody is asking for Liberty to be included in the playoffs

People intuitively understand college football has a two tier FBS system. FSU went undefeated in the top tier. Liberty went undefeated in the bottom tier. That’s why no one is clamouring for Liberty to be included in the playoffs.

People take issue with the CFP committee dividing the top tier into two tiers, placing present and future SEC and Big Ten teams in the first tier and relegating an undefeated FSU into the second tier.

Will be interesting if they only vacate the games with proven advance cheating from Michigan’s schedule vs. the whole season. If the former, we could end up with something like a 6-0 national champion!

Pretty nutless that the media didn’t discuss anything today about the biggest cheating scandal in modern college football history, at least that I heard.

Regardless of the fact Michigan’s season should have ended weeks ago, Ryan Day still let all of college football down.

FSU looked like shit in the ACC championship game. That probably lost them the CFP invite more than anything else.

People intuitively understand college football has a two tier FBS system. FSU went undefeated in the top tier. Liberty went undefeated in the bottom tier. That’s why no one is clamouring for Liberty to be included in the playoffs.

People take issue with the CFP committee dividing the top tier into two tiers, placing present and future SEC and Big Ten teams in the first tier and relegating an undefeated FSU into the second tier.
Apparently LSU and Florida are in the second tier since FSU beat them both

Apparently LSU and Florida are in the second tier since FSU beat them both
Even worse it doesn't matter because college football is a caste system, not a meritocracy.

People intuitively understand college football has a two tier FBS system.
Just because that arbitrary distinction has held up in the past doesn’t guarantee it to remain distinct. This was always subjective, but as the playoff field expands it will become less so. It’s too bad for FSU the field wasn’t expanded sooner.

Just because that arbitrary distinction has held up in the past doesn’t guarantee it to remain distinct. This was always subjective, but as the playoff field expands it will become less so. It’s too bad for FSU the field wasn’t expanded sooner.

What do you mean that it will become less subjective as the playoff field expands? Do you agree with me that they’re laying the foundation for all the at-large spots to go to SEC and Big Ten schools?

Alabama would be a favored by 10 points over Noles. Besides, FSU has one of the shitiest fan bases ever.

Back