• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would two groups of 5 champions get in? Shouldn't that be another spot for SEC/Big 10?
For now, it's 6 conference champions and 6 at-large bids (which is why the CBS article projected it that way, with the caveat that they expect it to change), until they actually get together and vote on it, and change it to 5 champions/7 at-large bids, now that the Pac-12 is dead.

For now, it's 6 conference champions and 6 at-large bids (which is why the CBS article projected it that way, with the caveat that they expect it to change), until they actually get together and vote on it, and change it to 5 champions/7 at-large bids, now that the Pac-12 is dead.
I think it’s 4 conference champions, highest G5, and 7 at-large. Not 5 conference champions.

No, it's the top 6 (soon to be 5) conference champions. Theoretically, you could have 2 group of 5 conference champions be ranked higher than one of the power 5 (now 4) conference champs, and that lowest ranked power 4 champion wouldn't be guaranteed an auto bid, but we all know the committee would engage in mental gymnastics with their rankings to make sure that never actually happens.

No, it's the top 6 (soon to be 5) conference champions. Theoretically, you could have 2 group of 5 conference champions be ranked higher than one of the power 5 (now 4) conference champs, and that lowest ranked power 4 champion wouldn't be guaranteed an auto bid, but we all know the committee would engage in mental gymnastics with their rankings to make sure that never actually happens.

Ahh I misread what you said. It’s not 5/6 autobid conferences. But, yes, conference champions.

I'm much more of a believer in FSU than Clemson these days. And boy did this thread get hostile. I mean I was rooting for Washington, but at least Bama didn't win another - so there's that.
Rooting for Bama was like having to root for the Yankees. Sucked. People like you rooting for Michigan were rooting for the Astros, except you knew beforehand that they were cheaters.

Rooting for Bama was like having to root for the Yankees. Sucked. People like you rooting for Michigan were rooting for the Astros, except you knew beforehand that they were cheaters.
You really think Alabama doesn’t cheat? Or just choosing to suspend disbelief because they haven’t been caught?

You really think Alabama doesn’t cheat? Or just choosing to suspend disbelief because they haven’t been caught?
Have they been paying players for years far before it was "legal"? Of course. Do I think Saban has a network of spies advance scouting other teams, or violates/then lies about recruiting timeline windows? Nope. He doesn't need to.

Have they been paying players for years far before it was "legal"? Of course. Do I think Saban has a network of spies advance scouting other teams, or violates/then lies about recruiting timeline windows? Nope. He doesn't need to.
I think they all do advance scouting even though it's technically not allowed. The strange thing about what Michigan did was have that dude actually on the Central Michigan sideline for that game. I mean who the hell thought that was a great idea, and then who agreed and okayed it?

I think they all do advance scouting even though it's technically not allowed. The strange thing about what Michigan did was have that dude actually on the Central Michigan sideline for that game. I mean who the hell thought that was a great idea, and then who agreed and okayed it?

OBVIOUSLY NOT HARBAUGH OR ANY OF THE MICHIGAN COACHES !!!

I mean you've had a couple high profile coaches/former coaches saying that this practice doesn't happen, or if it does, it is very rare and extremely frowned upon.

Of course, there are others who say that everyone does it, but I'll believe the likes of Bob Stoops.

“If it’s true, oh, absolutely [it is a big deal]. That’s ridiculous,” Stoops said. “Everyone (saying), ‘Oh, it happens all the time!’ No, it doesn’t. I’ve never heard of that. In all my years of football and every team I’ve ever been on, sure, do we look across the field and if you can see it, that’s your job to do. You know what I’m saying, if I’m able to just in my plain eye look over there and know what they’re doing, I should be doing that.

“But to video people and to send people to scout and marry up a signal with the play … No, no, no. That’s terrible. It goes against everything we’re about. That’s wrong, if it happened.”

Well, if are going to throw around unsubstantiated rumors, there's one flying around that tOSU is getting a warchest together to buy-out Ryan Day and hire Mike Vrabel. With Harbaugh coming back to Michigan to beat tOSU and win a Natty; can see how tOSU nation would want to do something similar.

There's another rumor flying around that Eagles are considering dumping Sirianni, because they really want Vrabel too. When a coach is a free agent like Vrabel, their "team" (meaning agent) push the rumor mill to jack up the price of their clients next contract. So, all of this could be complete BS.

Three years ago, the first Bama call would be for Dabo. May not be the case in 2024.

Dan Lanning was a Saban assistant, and as the UGA DC, he knows the conference and the recruiting territory. He's also young.

Back