• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you suspected, you are wrong. Have you never referred to someone or something with a difficult to pronounce name as something else that is easier to say? Where is your post condemning people who call Novak Djokovic "Joker" as racists?

The near-Pavlovian reaction on the part of many to accuse everything and everyone of racism is so fucking annoying.

That’s a pretty cut and dry example of racism. Just show people respect and learn how to pronounce their name. If they prefer a nickname, they’ll let you know. There’s a long history of people changing their name or being forced to change their name due to racism and xenophobia.

By the way, names are only hard to pronounce if you don’t try. If you’re watching a game and hear professional announcers pronounce the name dozens of times and still won’t pronounce it, you don’t want to learn.

As you suspected, you are wrong. Have you never referred to someone or something with a difficult to pronounce name as something else that is easier to say? Where is your post condemning people who call Novak Djokovic "Joker" as racists?

The near-Pavlovian reaction on the part of many to accuse everything and everyone of racism is so fucking annoying.
Well the problem is that these “difficult to pronounce” names almost universally come from different cultures/races than white Americans.

Yeah, some names are difficult to pronounce for native English speakers. But everyone deserves the dignity of having other people put the effort in to get correct something as basic as their name.

That’s a pretty cut and dry example of racism. Just show people respect and learn how to pronounce their name. If they prefer a nickname, they’ll let you know. There’s a long history of people changing their name or being forced to change their name due to racism and xenophobia.

By the way, names are only hard to pronounce if you don’t try. If you’re watching a game and hear professional announcers pronounce the name dozens of times and still won’t pronounce it, you don’t want to learn.
there's also a pretty clear difference between calling Novak "joker" because that's a nickname he takes on himself and got from doing impersonations of other tennis players versus just throwing out ukelele for a samoan guy from Cali.

there's also a pretty clear difference between calling Novak "joker" because that's a nickname he takes on himself and got from doing impersonations of other tennis players versus just throwing out ukelele for a samoan guy from Cali.
Yeah, if he was looking for the white guy example in order to make it not racist he should have gone with Coach K.

But there’s still a huge difference in respect between just saying the first letter of the name vs a word that vaguely sounds like the name

If I watched DJ play more than once a year (and now probably less than that since he's at Oregon State), perhaps I'd put some effort into the proper pronunciation of his name.

I still screw up Tua's last name-- there's a reason most people call him Tua.

Oh, no! A bunch of people on a sports message board don't like me!
Maybe instead of retreating into a tough guy persona, try thinking critically to see if a good point is being made?

I personally wasn’t at all saying “I don’t like you” or accusing you of being a bad person. But I do think that names are important and blatantly getting them wrong out of a lack of effort is disrespectful

Do you think DJU would be fine with people calling him “ukulele”?

Do you think 19deac92 cares? He knows everything. He doesn’t have to respect others.

If I watched DJ play more than once a year (and now probably less than that since he's at Oregon State), perhaps I'd put some effort into the proper pronunciation of his name.

I still screw up Tua's last name-- there's a reason most people call him Tua.
There being a reason that people don’t say his name does not mean that it’s a legitimate reason.

I get it, with celebrities it’s difficult sometimes to always get the name right. I just hope that everyone makes good faith efforts to learn the real names of people in your real lives, especially those coming from non-American cultures.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...need-know-clemson-dj-uiagalelei-aka-big-5inco

He knows his last name is tough to pronounce

After Uiagalelei was announced as the starter for this week's game, Clemson put out a video on Twitter of teammates attempting to pronounce his last name. It didn't go well.

"I think one person said, like, 'wiggly lee,'" Uiagalelei said.

Another teammate notes with some degree of certainty that, "it's not ukulele."

Most folks just call him D.J., or as receiver Cornell Powell suggested, "Money Man," an inside joke about Uiagalelei's ability to cash in when it counts.

Uiagalelei's preferred moniker is "Big 5inco" -- a nod to both his size and uniform number. High school teammates back in California called him "Cinco," until one day the modifier was added, and he liked the sound of it. He started adding #Big5inco to his Instagram posts, and this summer, he used a little leftover stipend money to buy a gold chain with the nickname on it. "Money Man" knows how to create a brand.

"You guys can call me whatever you want," Uiagalelei said -- though ideally not "Wiggly Lee."

For the record, it's oo-ee-AHN-guh-luh-lay.

Maybe instead of retreating into a tough guy persona, try thinking critically to see if a good point is being made?

I personally wasn’t at all saying “I don’t like you” or accusing you of being a bad person. But I do think that names are important and blatantly getting them wrong out of a lack of effort is disrespectful
I'm not retreating into anything, just finding humor in the fact that the usual harpies can be counted on to respond and do what they always do. It's just so predictable.

Can you try thinking critically to see if a good point is being made that ascribing racist motives to everyone and everything all of the damn time is counterproductive?

I'm not retreating into anything, just finding humor in the fact that the usual harpies can be counted on to respond and do what they always do. It's just so predictable.

Can you try thinking critically to see if a good point is being made that ascribing racist motives to everyone and everything all of the damn time is counterproductive.
Nobody ascribed racist motives to a person. They called an action racist. Those are different things.

Joker is a nickname
Ukelele is disrespectful. If you don’t see the difference perhaps you are part of the problem.

Can you try thinking critically to see if a good point is being made that ascribing racist motives to everyone and everything all of the damn time is counterproductive?
What point have you even made? That some names are tough to pronounce?

Perhaps you should critically attempt to see if actions come across as racist, intended or not. I don’t think most people have racist actions out of malice so much as out of ignorance

Back