• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious hypothetical question - if undefeated FSU lost Jordan Travis for the season, lost their backup QB to concussion, started their third string QB and struggled to score against Louisville in say the 8th game of the season, would you disagree with them dropping from 4th to 5th place vs the 8th ranked team that just beat the #1 team by 2 touchdowns?

If this was a serious hypothetical, the 8th ranked team won by 3 points.

Would you drop the #1 team all the way down to 6 for losing by 3 points?

Would you move the #7 team all the way to #3 after blowing out the #18 team because they beat the #8 team in Week 2?

If this was a serious hypothetical, the 8th ranked team won by 3 points.

Would you drop the #1 team all the way down to 6 for losing by 3 points?

Would you move the #7 team all the way to #3 after blowing out the #18 team because they beat the #8 team in Week 2?
All of those questions are conditional based on how other top ranked teams performed. Winning is not just winning, there are a ton of other conditional variables that factor into the rankings.

It’s very common for teams with loss(es) to be ranked ahead of undefeated teams, you are surely aware of that.
I can be aware of something and disagree with it. In week 8 this year, UNC was the only P5 undefeated team ranked below any 1 loss teams. In week 9, there were no undefeated P5 teams ranked below any one loss teams.

Maybe not the proper thread to rant about it, but bowl committee compensation has to be one of the most egregious things in sports.

I talked to the guys running the bar in one of the coach's lounges (as part of their 'committee duties') at the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago.

... they are mostly retired corporate types, who have written checks from their former organizations; and then personally get paid ridiculous amounts after they've ridden off into the sunset in business; to effectively do nothing for the bowls.

They are kick-back positions, hidden in plain sight.

Team selections aren't really a thing anymore... I just don't understand how these positions, which should be volunteer roles, pay $200k+.

The rich get richer, I guess.
So basically like the staff for other bowl games. And I agree, it's pretty insane these positions are so lucrative.

It’s just factually untrue to say it’s the same FSU team with or without Travis - this isn’t a tournament format.

I can be aware of something and disagree with it. In week 8 this year, UNC was the only P5 undefeated team ranked below any 1 loss teams. In week 9, there were no undefeated P5 teams ranked below any one loss teams.
I realize you disagree with it, my point is that movement in the rankings, based on expected competitiveness, is completely subjective every week of the season, and FSU falling out of the top 4 is consistent with that.

TIL MDMH hates the meritocracy and wants a plutocracy of previously rich teams just getting richer
I think you all are bitching about the ACC losing cachet, not about fairness. The expanded playoff is intended to prevent this bullshit.

I realize you disagree with it, my point is that movement in the rankings, based on expected competitiveness, is completely subjective every week of the season, and FSU falling out of the top 4 is consistent with that.
yeah but zero losses is supposed to actually mean something in college football. That is the whole thing they try to emphasize, that every game matters.

So if FSU wins their bowl, they could end up as the only undefeated team (provided Michigan and Washington lose)... do they pull a Central Florida and claim themselves to be national champions?
Nothing says the AP or Coaches Poll has to vote for the playoff winner. The coaches should vote FSU and then award them the crystal ball (still awarded to the #1 team in the final coaches poll).

yeah but zero losses is supposed to actually mean something in college football. That is the whole thing they try to emphasize, that every game matters.
“Mean something” is vague nonsense, there are rules or there aren’t.

I think you all are bitching about the ACC losing cachet, not about fairness. The expanded playoff is intended to prevent this bullshit.

By adding even more subjectivity? It will be more bullshit just easier to defend bullshit since we’ve gotten used to the SEC/Big Ten hegemony.

“Mean something” is vague nonsense, there are rules or there aren’t.
the entire selection process is vague nonsense!

The point is that the college football that they try to sell us ("every game matters!") during the regular season to keep people watching is not the college football the institutions actually allow to happen when the rubber hits the road.

Ph discovers that politics aren’t sports and vice versa. Hallelujah.

Hard to imagine believing competitions between state-funded public universities isn’t political.

Back