• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lesson for this CFP debacle is that contending teams must lie about the injury status of your players. FSU should have said they expected Travis to return by the end of December, knowing its lie. Why would any team in the CFP mix ever be honest about a key player's injury status again?

FWIW, all of the 4 teams in the playoff have warts. Bama needed a miracle to beat Auburn just one game ago.

Michigan's offense is terrible; they gained a total of 213 yards against Iowa; they were gifted two TDs by defense (on a BS fumble call and special teams).

Texas almost lost to Houston and TCU (and the Big 12 blows; Big 12 runner up, Oklahoma State, got trucked by South Alabama this year).

Washington has the best resume, but they squeaked by Stanford, Arizona State and Wash. State (all teams with losing records).

The argument that FSU would have been blown out by any of the other CFP participants is ludicrous. Not saying FSU would have won it all, but this isn't a 2021 Michigan CFP invite, where they had no chance to compete against UGA that year.

Nothing is really different this year than any other CFP year. The only difference is Every P5 champion had a really strong case. It's always been a gut feel/opinion/metric mish mash by the committee.
Stop agreeing with me, Windy

The lesson for this CFP debacle is that contending teams must lie about the injury status of your players. FSU should have said they expected Travis to return by the end of December, knowing its lie. Why would any team in the CFP mix ever be honest about a key player's injury status again?

FWIW, all of the 4 teams in the playoff have warts. Bama needed a miracle to beat Auburn just one game ago.

Michigan's offense is terrible; they gained a total of 213 yards against Iowa; they were gifted two TDs by defense (on a BS fumble call and special teams).

Texas almost lost to Houston and TCU (and the Big 12 blows; Big 12 runner up, Oklahoma State, got trucked by South Alabama this year).

Washington has the best resume, but they squeaked by Stanford, Arizona State and Wash. State (all teams with losing records).

The argument that FSU would have been blown out by any of the other CFP participants is ludicrous. Not saying FSU would have won it all, but this isn't a 2021 Michigan CFP invite, where they had no chance to compete against UGA that year.

The argument FSU would have been blown out is ludicrous given that most semifinals the CFP committee has set up have been blowouts.

Hard to imagine believing competitions between state-funded public universities isn’t political.
Oh my God - fine, let’s return to the BCS system and let the computers do it. Doesn’t change the fact that without conference autoqualifier rules the regular season will never be a tournament.

Oh my God - fine, let’s return to the BCS system and let the computers do it. Doesn’t change the fact that without conference autoqualifier rules the regular season will never be a tournament.
zero losses >>>>> one loss

that is the narrative marketed during the regular season

but also hell yeah bring back the computers

No one would believe that ho saw Travis's leg get broken.

GAYLDoHXwAAqvv5

Not a catch.

Re Iowa's D. It's pretty good. Ranked #2 in SP+ (which is predictive). PSU put up 31 points on them. Other than that, no team had scored more than 16 all year until Michigan's 26.

Re Iowa's O. It's really bad. But also the result of losing players. And we shouldn't be hating on Iowa's O. Their QB is Deacon Hill.

I don't have a major issue with the committee downgrading FSU considering the significantly worse performing offense without Jordan Travis. It sucks and isn't fair to the players on that team, but the process makes enough sense to me.

What I do have an issue with is that the committee would never apply this sort of logic to an undefeated SEC or B10 champion. Even if JJ McCarthy AND Blake Corum broke their legs at the end of the Ohio State game and Michigan limped to an ugly win without them against Iowa, Michigan would still be in the CFP and I think we all know that.

The argument FSU would have been blown out is ludicrous given that most semifinals the CFP committee has set up have been blowouts.
Yeah, if FSU went in as the 4th seed vs. Michigan as the 1st seed, does anybody really thing Michigan blows them out with Rodemaker back? Heck, Michigan didn't really "blow out" Iowa, even with Iowa not having an offense at all.

Re Iowa's D. It's pretty good. Ranked #2 in SP+ (which is predictive). PSU put up 31 points on them. Other than that, no team had scored more than 16 all year until Michigan's 26.
Michigan v. Iowa Stats

Michigan 213 years, 3.3 yards per play. 3 Iowa fumbles had a whole lot more to do with 26 points than anything Michigan's offense did.

I don't have a major issue with the committee downgrading FSU considering the significantly worse performing offense without Jordan Travis. It sucks and isn't fair to the players on that team, but the process makes enough sense to me.

What I do have an issue with is that the committee would never apply this sort of logic to an undefeated SEC or B10 champion. Even if JJ McCarthy AND Blake Corum broke their legs at the end of the Ohio State game and Michigan limped to an ugly win without them against Iowa, Michigan would still be in the CFP and I think we all know that.

Maybe, but that's still speculative so I don't buy that argument too much.

The quibbles I have are:

1/ Placing FSU 5th (they should have either been 3rd or 6th/7th)
2/ The major swings after the last week. If the Travis injury was the main factor, why didn't they move FSU down the previous week?

But ultimately if the criteria is to attempt to pick the four "best" teams (vs. the four most deserving), then FSU should obviously have been out and probably behind both UGA and Ohio State.

I just think the criteria is unbelievably stupid and actually does feel like it was potentially driven by the influence of the TV networks and other revenue powers that be (I don't know the history of the decision). I always found some beauty in the way college football picked the postseason but changing the criteria from most deserving to best totally destroys that.

It may be moot, but as predictive analytics get more and more mainstream and folks getting more analytically-savvy we are on a path to where we starting having to debate Washington vs. Oregon under the current criteria since every piece of historical data would suggest that Oregon is still the better team despite losing to Washington twice and would still be favored if they were to play again on a neutral site, with people citing things like post-game win probabilities* and trying to eliminate statistical noise, etc.

(Oregon had a post-game win probability of over 50% in both games they lost to Washington)

Last edited:
I'd respect the committee's decision a lot more if they came out and said: we had FSU as #3 for most deserving based on the season's results, and had them at #7 as team ranking based on current roster, and we added the two to get 10 for an average of 5". But to just say that their current roster makes them the "5th best team" and ahead of #6 Georgia just doesn't make sense.
I checked NCSU's schedule to see if they have FSU on next year's schedule, which unfortunately they don't. But were they to have played in Tallahassee, Boo Corrigan would have been well-served to think that the Wolfpack's cross country match in Timbuktu or wherever that day was more urgent for him to attend in person.

Back