• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting to see how they did against Louisville? Did want to cause a firestorm before the selection show? WGAF?

So they didn’t follow their rules last week but followed their rules this week?

Of course it's speculative, but based on all the evidence we have seen I think it's an extremely reasonable assumption.

I mean, Ohio State went on to win the CFP while starting a 3rd string QB in 2014. Even if you're undefeated in the ACC, you apparently aren't allowed to even try to do that.
They also won the Big 10 Championship 59-0 against 13th ranked Wisconsin. 2023 FSU gimp limped across the finish line.

I wanted Michigan to play FSU. I want the ACC to do well. But Bama just beat the team that has been #1 for three years. If 2023 FSU still had Jordan Travis, I think SEC sits at home and FSU is in.

So they didn’t follow their rules last week but followed their rules this week?
Turns out having subjective amorphous "rules/criteria" in a deliberately inadequately restrictive process, doesn't yield consistent results?! Who woulda thought!?

i think my official stance is: FSU should have defs been in and as a fan of interesting football games I'm glad they're not
This is probably the correct take, but if the committee has proven to be anything over the last several years it's AWFUL at creating compelling semi final matchups. Objectively terrible.

I don't see how waiting to see how they did against Louisville is not following their rules.

Because they use rules to rank teams every week. If FSU wasn’t going to get in because of Travis’ injury, they should have indicated that after Travis was injured. If FSU wasn’t one of the best teams, they shouldn’t have been ranked as such.

Because they use rules to rank teams every week. If FSU wasn’t going to get in because of Travis’ injury, they should have indicated that after Travis was injured. If FSU wasn’t one of the best teams, they shouldn’t have been ranked as such.
Why? Isn't it better that they waited to see how FSU did with backups than to immediately discard them? They waited to see how FSU looked. They looked worse than Bama. Bama beat the consensus #1 team in the country that hadn't lost in 29 games. So they correctly had Bama leapfrog FSU. No problem with that at all.

I hate that FSU got left out, especially for the players. But it's quite ironic. FSU spent the entire offseason trashing the ACC. It's one thing when the media is trashing the ACC and uplifting the SEC but this shows it's not a good idea to publicly dump all over your conference. Do things in silence then leave when you can.
FSU screamed they were the only team that mattered and how their TV numbers were way better than everyone elses'. Maybe they aren't as important as they thought they were, other wise they wouldn't have been left out. If their brand/numbers are so important, wouldn't the CFP want them in?

Bama needed a horrendous officiating oversight and a UGA false start on a FG to win that game. If the officials make the right call, UGA far more likely to win.

A cheap shot by UF benefitted the SEC.

There's no reason UGA should have been left out anyway. They would likely be favored over Washington or Michigan (or Alabama or Texas, to be honest.) Why one loss at the end of a 29 game streak counts more than one that happened to Alabama in September is stupid.

this article was probably posted already but it's 100% spot on.

Don't understand why elite defensive performances get no credit. Louisville averaged well over 30 points per game this year. They scored 33 against Notre Dame; in their two previous games before the ACCCG, L'ville score 38 at Miami and 31 against Kentucky. FSU held L'ville to a season low 6 points and 188 yards. That is a dominant performance in a championship game against a ranked team. That was a defensive blow-out, but because FSU won 16-6 instead of 40-30; the dopes on the committee missed the domination.

Instead, that defensive performance got lost in the evals. Apparently, the only message the committee got from the ACCCG was that the FSU offense struggled (with a QB that would not play in the CFP). Outscoring teams is not the only way to win; FSU's defense stepped up to dominate L'ville, and the committee refused to see it.

Don't understand why elite defensive performances get no credit. Louisville averaged well over 30 points per game this year. They scored 33 against Notre Dame; in their two previous games before the ACCCG, L'ville score 38 at Miami and 31 against Kentucky. FSU held L'ville to a season low 6 points and 188 yards. That is a dominant performance in a championship game against a ranked team. That was a defensive blow-out, but because FSU won 16-6 instead of 40-30; the dopes on the committee missed the domination.

Instead, that defensive performance got lost in the evals. Apparently, the only message the committee got from the ACCCG was that the FSU offense struggled (with a QB that would not play in the CFP). Outscoring teams is not the only way to win; FSU's defense stepped up to dominate L'ville, and the committee refused to see it.
Great take. I was at the game, their defense was suffocating.

Have the internet sleuths determined if Michigan illegally scouted any Bama games this year?

Why? Isn't it better that they waited to see how FSU did with backups than to immediately discard them? They waited to see how FSU looked. They looked worse than Bama. Bama beat the consensus #1 team in the country that hadn't lost in 29 games. So they correctly had Bama leapfrog FSU. No problem with that at all.
This makes no sense. They had already seen FSU with their backup and still considered them the #4 team. The fact that FSU looked bad against Louisville with their 3rd stringer and that is why they dropped is the biggest load of horseshit ever. First of all, that third stringer wouldn't have been playing in the playoffs. Second of all, as others have already pointed out ad nauseum, every team on the list had at least one, and usually more than one, stinker of a game during the season where they looked like crap and struggled against a lesser opponent.
Basically what you are saying here is that one game overshadowed the entire season - Ala looked good against Ga and FSU looked bad against Louisville so that is why Ala jumped from #8 to #4 in one week. Ok then.
Hell, I would probably have thought it more reasonable for FSU to be left out if they had left Ga in - Ga had been undefeated for like 3 years and been ranked #1 for weeks - so losing to the #8 team and dropping to #4 seems about right - instead of dropping all the way to #6.

They already saw how FSU did with the QB who would play in the CFP and ranked them #4.

Dropping FSU based on the play of a QB who won't play in a month makes no sense.
FSU isn’t ranked in a vacuum though, they are ranked against the other teams they are competing against. FSU only dropped 1 spot in the rankings from 4, the comparative value of Alabama defeating Georgia/Texas defeating Oklahoma St was just that much more valuable than FSU defeating Louisville. FSU’s undefeated season had only been worth a #4 ranking to that point, and defeating Louisville by a slim margin wasnt enough to sustain that ranking when competing teams had more valuable victories.

I hate that FSU got left out, especially for the players. But it's quite ironic. FSU spent the entire offseason trashing the ACC. It's one thing when the media is trashing the ACC and uplifting the SEC but this shows it's not a good idea to publicly dump all over your conference. Do things in silence then leave when you can.
FSU screamed they were the only team that mattered and how their TV numbers were way better than everyone elses'. Maybe they aren't as important as they thought they were, other wise they wouldn't have been left out. If their brand/numbers are so important, wouldn't the CFP want them in?
Yeah, I hate it for the players and even for Norvell (seems like a good guy) a lot more than I do for the FSU admin.

So now you're arguing that they didn't drop because of Travis. They dropped because Texas and Alabama were that much more impressive.

Back