• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but zero losses is supposed to actually mean something in college football. That is the whole thing they try to emphasize, that every game matters.
its part of the reason they went to a 4 team playoff, so that undefeated power 5's wouldn't get left out. . . . still found a way to screw the ACC so that the SEC doesnt miss out

I'd respect the committee's decision a lot more if they came out and said: we had FSU as #3 for most deserving based on the season's results, and had them at #7 as team ranking based on current roster, and we added the two to get 10 for an average of 5". But to just say that their current roster makes them the "5th best team" and ahead of #6 Georgia just doesn't make sense.
I checked NCSU's schedule to see if they have FSU on next year's schedule, which unfortunately they don't. But were they to have played in Tallahassee, Boo Corrigan would have been well-served to think that the Wolfpack's cross country match in Timbuktu or wherever that day was more urgent for him to attend in person.
Yeah, at least there'd be some kind of rationale they could point to, but to just say "well WE THINK FSU is this or that" is not a good look. Another thing, not only would FSU have had Rodemaker back for the semi-final, they would have a whole month to prepare him. The folly of placing teams in the playoff based on what we think, especially when the game is a month out is crazy. You earn it on the field and FSU was the only one of the 3 that were vying for the 3rd and 4th spots that didn't have a loss on their record. The decision of who to leave out should've come down to Bama or Texas and if the committee was to go with Bama over Texas then they should've had to explain why the head to head wasn't the deciding factor. However, they took the easiest why out, which was to screw FSU and the ACC, instead of taking the heat for leaving out an SEC champ or leaving out the team that beat them.

Yeah, if FSU went in as the 4th seed vs. Michigan as the 1st seed, does anybody really thing Michigan blows them out with Rodemaker back? Heck, Michigan didn't really "blow out" Iowa, even with Iowa not having an offense at all.
Yes, I don't think FSU would score a point against Mich (as much as I despise them). I think it would be around the same score as the Mich/Iowa game.

Maybe, but that's still speculative so I don't buy that argument too much.
Of course it's speculative, but based on all the evidence we have seen I think it's an extremely reasonable assumption.

I mean, Ohio State went on to win the CFP while starting a 3rd string QB in 2014. Even if you're undefeated in the ACC, you apparently aren't allowed to even try to do that.

I've been thinking a lot about how this compares to the NFL. You think back to certain teams who didn't seem like they were playing great, got into the playoffs, and went on a run. If there was a system that said "we don't expect you to fare very well against Tom Brady and the Patriots, so sorry, you don't make the playoffs," the Giants would have two fewer Super Bowl wins. I read something this morning in the Athletic's daily newsletter that puts it into words better than I could:

"We think of the NFL as a league in which profits matter above all … yet this would’ve never happened in the NFL. There is a codified system that rewards teams for the games they win and lose. It is a simple and effective system. Joe Webb and Ryan Lindley have started NFL playoff games. Worse product? Sometimes, maybe. Fairer system? Absolutely. It’s easier to support that."

That is the problem "I think or I don't think" don't mean shit. I'm sure every game you've ever watched as gone exactly like you thought hasn't it?
Ummm. I was just answering your question - no need to be so salty: "does anybody really thing Michigan blows them out with Rodemaker back?".

The committee followed its internal guidelines/rules, and it got the 4 best teams. They don't pick deserving, they pick best. They are empowered with this decision currently, like it or not, and they got to the correct outcome following their rules.

https://www.theringer.com/college-f...-playoff-decision-florida-state-alabama-texas

"Crucially, they also include “other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.” That last principle came into effect here."

Also, I understand being ACC homers, but fuck Florida State (and LOL talking about them being a victim of the rich getting richer) and fuck the fascist friendly state of Florida - glad some people think they got screwed. I don't think they got screwed, but screw them anyway.

Ummm. I was just answering your question - no need to be so salty: "does anybody really thing Michigan blows them out with Rodemaker back?".

The committee followed its internal guidelines/rules, and it got the 4 best teams. They don't pick deserving, they pick best. They are empowered with this decision currently, like it or not, and they got to the correct outcome following their rules.

https://www.theringer.com/college-f...-playoff-decision-florida-state-alabama-texas

"Crucially, they also include “other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.” That last principle came into effect here."
I'm not being salty, your opinion, my opinion, Kirk Herbstreit's opinion shouldn't matter either. The problem is in sports and the media in general is that opinion now is more important than results. The opinions of the college football experts are more important than the results. Herbstreit's opinion is that FSU wasn't good enough for the playoff, but what results does he have to base that on? FSU had a close game at Florida, hell Bama needed a miracle to win at Auburn. FSU's defense had to be the deciding factor against Louisville since FSU was starting a 3rd string true freshman that wouldn't have been playing in the playoff, keep in mind Louisville's offense was averaging 30 some points. Bama looked good against Georgia, but as I stated struggled to beat some very mediocre to bad teams in Auburn, Arkansas and even freaking South Florida. So, when you evidently just can pick and chose things that support your opinion and ignore things that don't and you're deciding who gets to play for a national title, something that for a lot of these players would be the biggest accomplishment in their lives other than maybe getting married and having kids one day, then yes, I personally think it should have a lot less to do with "I think or I don't think" and a whole lot more to do with who won all their games and who didn't. Hell, maybe they should take away our only ACC win since we were playing a 3rd string QB and opinion was we couldn't win.

Also, I understand being ACC homers, but fuck Florida State (and LOL talking about them being a victim of the rich getting richer) and fuck the fascist friendly state of Florida - glad some people think they got screwed. I don't think they got screwed, but screw them anyway.

Why didn’t Travis’ injury impact their rankings after the UF game?

It's got nothing to do with it being Florida State or an ACC team, right is right. If the situation was a one loss FSU getting in over an undefeated SEC team, my opinion would not change.

I'm not being salty, your opinion, my opinion, Kirk Herbstreit's opinion shouldn't matter either. The problem is in sports and the media in general is that opinion now is more important than results. The opinions of the college football experts are more important than the results. Herbstreit's opinion is that FSU wasn't good enough for the playoff, but what results does he have to base that on? FSU had a close game at Florida, hell Bama needed a miracle to win at Auburn. FSU's defense had to be the deciding factor against Louisville since FSU was starting a 3rd string true freshman that wouldn't have been playing in the playoff, keep in mind Louisville's offense was averaging 30 some points. Bama looked good against Georgia, but as I stated struggled to beat some very mediocre to bad teams in Auburn, Arkansas and even freaking South Florida. So, when you evidently just can pick and chose things that support your opinion and ignore things that don't and you're deciding who gets to play for a national title, something that for a lot of these players would be the biggest accomplishment in their lives other than maybe getting married and having kids one day, then yes, I personally think it should have a lot less to do with "I think or I don't think" and a whole lot more to do with who won all their games and who didn't.
That's fine that you don't like the current system (it's the best college football has ever had, imo, and it will get better next year). But that's the system, the committee followed its rules, and I believe it resulted in the correct outcome. End of story for me.

It's important to remember that sports are entertainment as well as character building for children. Key lessons this year:

1) Cheating? Not so bad!
2) If your best player gets hurt, might as well quit!
I would absolutely be fine with Michigan out for cheating and FSU in. That's actually the correct result, I rescind my earlier statement.

Back