• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

I am expecting 7-5 or this next season with our schedule

We should win:
Elon
Vandy
@ODU
@VT

And should be able to win 3 of:
@Syracuse
GT
Pitt
State
@Duke
(My order of difficulty)

Next season will be revealing. Could be a rough season (losing record and no bowl eligibility) or could be that Clawson really shows his chops to build and sustain his success?

It seems like Wake really missed it's opportunity to win another ACC football championship during the 2021 season. It's kind of difficult to predict when Wake will get that opportunity again.

Next season will be revealing. Could be a rough season (losing record and no bowl eligibility) or could be that Clawson really shows his chops to build and sustain his success?

It seems like Wake really missed it's opportunity to win another ACC football championship during the 2021 season. It's kind of difficult to predict when Wake will get that opportunity again.
Honestly, it should be easier to make the game now. We don’t have to go through Clemson and we should have an easier ACC schedule most years (I’m sure every Atlantic team is saying that though).

I think 6-6 next year looks most likely. Although I think it’s more likely we are a couple games worse than that than it’s likely we are a couple of games better than that.

The home schedule is favorable and three of the road games are very winnable. The schedule sets up for at least 7-5.

put me down for a hundo on the OVER

Let me recreate my stupid math. These are win probability estimates. I have almost no insight into what our opponents off-seasons are going to look like, but I am assuming the bad teams get better but we get worse.

Elon - 100%
Vanderbilt - 80%
@ Old Dominion - 95%
@ Notre Dame - 5%

@ Clemson - 5%
@ Syracuse - 40%
@ Duke - 40%
@ Virginia Tech - 50%
Georgia Tech - 70%
Pittsburgh - 40%
Florida State - 20%
NC State - 40%

Sum total is 5.85

Assumptions is we are equally as good as Duke and Syracuse, worse than Pitt and NC State but better than VT and GT.

It's all about the line of scrimmage on offense. Defense is a crap shoot as always. If the Deacs can win 6 or 7 games they will remain a decent football program. Eight or more wins would suggest Clawson has in fact developed a good football program. If the Deacs win fewer than six games we will return to making excuses.

Hope our offense returns back to Wolford style with us running Griffis more. Just worry about Griffis health. Kern Can run which is why him returning is big

My super rough win probability math spits out an O/U of closer to 5.5
And I think we were around 8.5 or 9 this season on the wins O/U and won 7. Add @ ND to the non-con and basically trade for Pitt (h & a) for UNC who we have lost to 3 in a row.
Had an underachieving Oline this year and we lose some of them. New but maybe more mobile 4th year QB. Think you are close at 5.5-6 wins. And hope for 7.

20% vs. FSU at home? GTFO.

Pressure's off next year - defense will improve a bit if we can stay healthy, offense will take a step back but maybe not as dramatic as some think. Better schedule, but it'll be tougher to close out games. 6-6 feels about right, if Clawson and company win 8 that would be pretty incredible. Should be a big year for developing young talent in the program and building towards more high expectations in 2024/25.

I expect Griffis to be between this year’s Sam and last year’s Sam. He will have the running ability that we lacked this year but not the experience. I fully trust our coaches to develop our next QB. Look at their track record! I would also take the over 6.5 at this point.
I don’t think he runs as well as some of you think he does.

Pressure's off next year - defense will improve a bit if we can stay healthy, offense will take a step back but maybe not as dramatic as some think. Better schedule, but it'll be tougher to close out games. 6-6 feels about right, if Clawson and company win 8 that would be pretty incredible. Should be a big year for developing young talent in the program and building towards more high expectations in 2024/25.
Why would you expect the defense to improve?

Right so he'll also be in his fourth season when he gets the starting job like Newman was. Only difference is Newman getting a little run against P5 teams the previous year.
Remember Newman was named the starter pre-season and got hurt, giving Hartman the starting job his freshman year. He started until he broke his leg and Newman, now healed, finished the season and started the next year.

I liked what Mitch showed against VMI. I'm not worried about Mitch, he's been around a while. It's the pieces around him that I worry about. I feel like getting to a bowl next year will be attainable but tough. For me, anything more than 6-7 wins will be a truly outstanding season.

Staff is going to need to get some big bodies for the interior D-line from the portal this spring/summer. I don't see those guys on the roster currently. Kobie Turner 2.0, x2, please.

Back