• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

NFL and CFB coaches would put that at #2 btw
Wake doesn't run the offense that NFL teams run. Wake doesn't run the offense most other college football teams run. Hence my order of skills important to the Wake Forest football team offense.

I hope to God our WR coach doesn't have to teach them to catch and hold onto the ball.

I don't know anything about this dude's resume, but his name sounds like a Star Wars villain, so I'm IN.

Wake doesn't run the offense that NFL teams run. Wake doesn't run the offense most other college football teams run. Hence my order of skills important to the Wake Forest football team offense.
It doesn’t matter what system you run. It can be air raid, nothing but RPOs, a generic west coast offense, triple option, Wisconsin’s.

Every single coach of every background will tell you that a blocking is a top two skill for a receiver. It’s actually even more important in Wake’s offense than say one a Leach disciple would run

It doesn’t matter what system you run. It can be air raid, nothing but RPOs, a generic west coast offense, triple option, Wisconsin’s.

Every single coach of every background will tell you that a blocking is a top two skill for a receiver. It’s actually even more important in Wake’s offense than say one a Leach disciple would run
So was Gattis contacted? Considered? Met with? Visited? Anythinged for this position?

So was Gattis contacted? Considered? Met with? Visited? Anythinged for this position?
I can’t confirm or deny, but without regurgitating what I said in the hot board when the position came open:
1) he’s damaged goods right now and it wouldn’t be shocking to see him take a year or two off to let things die down for him

2) expecting him to want to go immediately from back to back offensive coordinator positions where he’s been getting paid to just be a wide receivers was more than likely going to be a non starter for someone at his age.

Was one of those candidates that from a nostalgia perspective made sense, but on paper made little imo

Do Air Force WR’s even catch the ball? Clawson has such a hard on for Patriot league guys. As someone who has watched more Patriot League football than a discerning person should, I do not get it. I will also say this, Bob Chesney, the current Holy Cross coach is very good. So that fact that Ari did not stay there or last there, is not a good thing in my book.
He got a significantly better job so not sure your point

Wouldn’t expect him to be. Would you?
Yes, he had a disastrous season at Miami, and is persona non grata at his two prior stops. Saban hired Tommy Rees, who he had no connection to, rather than a former WR Coach-Co Offensive Coordinator. Wake would have been a safe landing spot and a chance to reset for Gattis. Considering he would have been inheriting Banks, Morin, and Greene, it’s tough to screw that up and likely would have been a springboard back to OC somewhere else next season. From Wake’s perspective, you had the chance to bring in a former player and a recent Broyles award winner with knowledge of a conference opponent. Gattis has at least proven himself as a capable WR coach if nothing else. Higgins was Associate Head Coach and WR coach, so you could have given Gattis the same title and it would seem like less of a step down. From both sides it made a lot of sense. Instead it looks like Gattis will sit out this season, which I can’t see as preferable from his perspective.

He got a significantly better job so not sure your point
My point was Holy Cross improved significantly after he left. However Air Force also improved after he got there, so who knows if he was the catalyst or not for either change.

Yes, he had a disastrous season at Miami, and is persona non grata at his two prior stops. Saban hired Tommy Rees, who he had no connection to, rather than a former WR Coach-Co Offensive Coordinator. Wake would have been a safe landing spot and a chance to reset for Gattis. Considering he would have been inheriting Banks, Morin, and Greene, it’s tough to screw that up and likely would have been a springboard back to OC somewhere else next season. From Wake’s perspective, you had the chance to bring in a former player and a recent Broyles award winner with knowledge of a conference opponent. Gattis has at least proven himself as a capable WR coach if nothing else. Higgins was Associate Head Coach and WR coach, so you could have given Gattis the same title and it would seem like less of a step down. From both sides it made a lot of sense. Instead it looks like Gattis will sit out this season, which I can’t see as preferable from his perspective.

Good post. I think the college football community wouldn’t look down on him for going back to his alma mater for a rehab stint.

While it was recently announced that Kevin Higgins will transition to an off-field leadership role on Dave Clawson's staff, he was officially named the General Manager of the Demon Deacons football program on Monday.

Higgins, who has a combined 46 years coaching experience in high school, college and the NFL and was in the role of Associate Head Coach/Wide Receivers for the past nine years at Wake Forest, will oversee recruiting, personnel evaluation, and he will assist Coach Clawson run the football program. Additionally, he will be involved in Wake Forest's efforts related to Name, Image & Likeness.

Love it. How many other programs have a general manager type position? This is a forward thinking move that should pay off big time. Embracing the professionalization of college football by being professional.

Love it. How many other programs have a general manager type position? This is a forward thinking move that should pay off big time. Embracing the professionalization of college football by being professional.
I think it is a fabulous move. This will also put a healthy buffer between Clawson and every booster wanting to influence roster decisions via NIL.

Miami hired one last year. I'm also pleasantly surprised at us being on the cutting edge here.

Yeah. I can’t think of many things Wake sports has done that I thought would work and everyone else will be copying within the next 2-3 years.

Yeah. I can’t think of many things Wake sports has done that I thought would work and everyone else will be copying within the next 2-3 years.
The slow mesh, we are 20 years ahead of everyone!

Back