• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official ACC Basketball Thread: UVA beats Maryland in overtime!

stonz

Reaction score
Figured it'd be good to have a thread for discussing non-Wake ACC games, since those are bound to be more entertaining. ACC play starts with 5 games tomorrow, and 1 on Sunday (spreads are KenPom):

12:00 ESPNU Wake Forest @ Duke (-28)
12:00 ESPN3 Virginia Tech @ Maryland (-12)
2:30 ESPN3 Miami (-1) @ Georgia Tech
4:00 ESPN2 NCSt (-8) @ Boston College
4:00 ESPN3 Florida St @ Clemson (-4)
(Sunday) 8:00 ESPNU North Carolina @ Virginia (-5)

On the eve of conference play, KenPom projects:
1) #2 Duke: 16-2
2) #26 Virginia: 12-6
3) #25 Miami: 11-7
4) #34 North Carolina St: 11-7
5) #35 North Carolina: 10-8
6) #56 Maryland: 9-9
7) #62 Georgia Tech: 9-9
8) #70 Clemson: 8-10
9) #74 Florida St: 8-10
10) #131 Virginia Tech: 5-13
11) #145 Boston College: 4-14
12) #169 Wake Forest: 4-14

As of now, I'd expect the ACC to get around 6 bids. The Triangle schools are all locks, realistically. Maryland is in great shape with their gaudy record, and if KenPom is right, Virginia and Miami should go dancing as well. Georgia Tech is shaping up to be a bubble team, while Clemson and Florida St look like NIT-level teams so far. The bottom 3 don't figure to be contenders for real postseason tournaments.

Georgia Tech has played pretty good defense so far this year. They need to improve the offensive output though.

From CBS Weekend Look Ahead:

Probably will be a blowout: Top-ranked and undefeated Duke is the ACC's best team. Unranked and often-defeated Wake Forest is the ACC's worst team. Those two schools open the ACC schedule Saturday at Cameron Indoor Stadium. (Come on, ACC schedule-makers. You can do better than this, can't you?)

Well, at least Maryland smoked Virginia Tech. Going to be an exciting battle for 10th place!

BC must lead the country in most zit-faced white guys. Good lord.

And of course one of the ACC teams many were hanging their hats on for a victory BC is hanging with #23 NC State.

I'm pulling for NCSU here. Might as well root against bottom feeders like ourselves.

Sad how times have changed.

BC with 3 FTs to tie. Made first.

Missed second. Made third. Still down one with 18.9 left.

After watching BC, granted for the first time this season I am going to say the Deacs will have their hands full.

I thought there were a lot of fouls in the yall's game today, there were 33 free throws. There were 72 in our game, and neither us or BC are physical. I can't get over this. Absurd. ACC

Last edited:
NC State only beat them by 5 last year too at BC, and we beat them by a combined 44 points.

Nothing would surprise me though.

We'll beat BC next weekend, probably by a pretty comfortable margin, 13 points or so. I'm more concerned about coming out and laying an egg against Virginia, what with us coming off two emotional games and having our Super Bowl next Saturday.

I'm just so afraid the Mitchell commit may bring a Bzz extension into the realm of possibilities...

CJ Leslie said the reason why NCSU was sluggish is because the Conte Forum is the worst atmosphere in the ACC.

Saturday, January 5

Wake Forest 62 @ #1 Duke 80
#23 NC State 78 @ Boston College 73
Virginia Tech 71 @ Maryland 94
Miami 62 @ Georgia Tech 49
Florida St 71 @ Clemson 66

Back