• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official ACC Basketball Thread: UVA beats Maryland in overtime!

It's 34 free throws to 16 and they've been jacking the 3s the entire game...

Meh, I haven't been too upset about many of the foul calls this evening besides the last two on rich. They never showed replays on the shooting fouls on curry so I'm not too upset about those. Refs aren't why we will lose this game

Could any other coach in the ACC do that other than Roy and not get a T?

Smacked him right square in the nose. You gotta be kidding me that you can't see that! Quite an easy call to make especially when you have the monitor to back you up. The offensive player making that swipe thru is exactly why they put that rule in.

Didn't look like he made contact to me...looks like he came close and Plumlee knew he'd get the call

Much more likely. I'll be shocked if 5 don't get in.

Either UVa is going to have to put on quite a rally and beat some people or Maryland is. UVa losing 3 games to CAA teams and 3 to us, GT & Clemson does not help them. Their win against Wisconsin is a good win. Otherwise it is Duke, Miami, UNC-Ch, probably NC State and maybe MD if they can finish strong.

Meh, I haven't been too upset about many of the foul calls this evening besides the last two on rich. They never showed replays on the shooting fouls on curry so I'm not too upset about those. Refs aren't why we will lose this game

Oh no it's cause we sucked in the first 10 minutes and they couldn't miss the second half, but the officiating is absurd all the same in this second half. Plumlee had 2 fouls until 2:20 left and every guy we played inside had 4 or fouled out

I literally ran it back 15 times and I still haven't seen contact. I'm serious. I haven't seen it yet. I may just be missing where his elbow actually is or something, but Plumlee is falling backwards before he gets hit and playing it up.

Didn't look like he made contact to me...looks like he came close and Plumlee knew he'd get the call

Didn't look like it because you don't like Duke. Get you on the court with a guy who gets clipped in the nose and it does not take much to hurt like hell. Nose & chins are very vunerable, especially to that whip of the elbow on that pass thru of the elbows. That is exactly why the rule was put in--to stop that mess.

Either UVa is going to have to put on quite a rally and beat some people or Maryland is. UVa losing 3 games to CAA teams and 3 to us, GT & Clemson does not help them. Their win against Wisconsin is a good win. Otherwise it is Duke, Miami, UNC-Ch, probably NC State and maybe MD if they can finish strong.

State, Duke, and Miami are locks. UNC is in right now, UVA will be in and I think Maryland can get in if they finish strong. ACC is far more likely to get 5 in than 3 and I think even 6 is more likely than 3 unless UNC just bombs out.

Didn't look like it because you don't like Duke. Get you on the court with a guy who gets clipped in the nose and it does not take much to hurt like hell. Nose & chins are very vunerable, especially to that whip of the elbow on that pass thru of the elbows. That is exactly why the rule was put in--to stop that mess.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm talking about the play that happened not whether or not getting hit in the nose hurts.

Because getting hit in the nose hurts then anything close should be called a foul?

Getting hit by an elbow isn't a foul, throwing bows is. The offensive player is allowed to have space (and he didn't get touched)

I think the elbow rule is ridiculous. Every time I have seen it called this year is inadvertent contact that wasn't even close to flagrant.

I maintain he didn't get touched. I'm sure somebody will make a GIF or a video about it so we can look at it. I may be wrong but I didn't see contact.

Lewis is an incredible passer.

ETA: I missed they called it flagrant. Yeah I hate that rule.

Last edited:
State had no chance to win after giving up 58 in the 1st half to Duke, but they did fight hard.

Getting hit by an elbow isn't a foul, throwing bows is. The offensive player is allowed to have space (and he didn't get touched)

That's what I don't get...why doesn't every defender get right up in the offensive players face and if he gets hit its a foul

Lewis finishes with 13-6-3 with no turnovers in his first start and it was in Cameron. He's a good player.

VA's RPI is so bad that could be an interesting case. They have to improve their RPI alot.

Their RPI will continue to improve as their SOS gets harder.

Selection committee has also started using KenPom a lot more as well as BPI (which I think is okay but not as good as KP OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE KP IS FAAAAAAAAABULOUS), so RPI won't be AS big a factor as normal. Virginia is a tournament team.

Obviously I as a NCSu fan have little room to talk but Duke fans chanting about Yy Lewis' gma recently passing away=not cool

Wait were they really chanting about her? Tyler was really close to her too. That's a really low blow.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm talking about the play that happened not whether or not getting hit in the nose hurts.

Because getting hit in the nose hurts then anything close should be called a foul?

No, that it doesn't have to be that much "contact" to be a foul to the face. Clipping somebody in the nose or chin doesn't necessarily look like much but hurts like hell and we call those fouls when we see them. Just like somebody getting hit in the eye. Doesn't take much and those are missed a lot because it is usually just a little finger coming across almost inadvertantly but you see the player recoil and you know you have missed it.

But just because a player doesn't get SMASHED in the nose a la Hansbrough a few years ago in the Duke game where blood is spattered everywhere does not mean there is not a foul when it comes to the elbow to the face area. That is what the "F" I am talking about Slim.

Back