• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

Good for him. If we're going to have an ACCN, we ought to be able to get the story straight. I would imagine he will do the same this afternoon on his Sirius/XM show.
Packer was great. Love on The Swiss.

I may be reading too much into this, but seems like putting undefeated Oklahoma at 8 was the committee's way of giving them "cover" to put Cincinnati at 6, and in effect denying the Bearcats any reasonable path to the playoffs. And to a lesser degree this would apply to their getting cover for leaving an undefeated Wake out. So they can maintain the playoffs as a P5 party, with Oklahoma (with past results in the playoff not good, and possibly some stick-it-to-em from those not pleased with their move to the SEC) as the sacrificial lamb.

I may be reading too much into this, but seems like putting undefeated Oklahoma at 8 was the committee's way of giving them "cover" to put Cincinnati at 6, and in effect denying the Bearcats any reasonable path to the playoffs. And to a lesser degree this would apply to their getting cover for leaving an undefeated Wake out. So they can maintain the playoffs as a P5 party, with Oklahoma (with past results in the playoff not good, and possibly some stick-it-to-em from those not pleased with their move to the SEC) as the sacrificial lamb.

I don't think that's the case, but Cinci needs help. OU and Wake will both pass them if they win out. Cinci's next two opponents are Tulsa and USF, so not a lot of room to impress against those two. Reasonable chance that SMU has another loss by the time they play Cinci, which won't help their cause. A CCG against Houston, which lost to Texas Tech, would be tough but not a mover for the polls. OU and Wake finish the season with quality opponents all around, and mostly road games (3 for Wake, 2 for OU). They have far more room to impress the voters, and these things are all about how you finish-- i.e., what have you done for me lately?

But the amusing thing is that all this discussion now only accelerates playoff expansion. All those dufuses had sour grapes with SEC expansion, and the current scenario, while unlikely to hold, points out exactly why you need it. The ACC will be up in arms if its unbeaten champ is left out of a playoff. And rightfully so.

Anyway, there is still a ton of football left. These things have a way of playing out and being relatively uncontroversial.

As optimistic as we have been about our chances, what happens if this happens ?

Alabama beats Georgia. Both have one loss. Alabama is SEC champ.
tOSU wins out. tOSU is B1G champ with one loss and a win over MSU and MSU has only one loss. Michigan is toast with two losses.
Oregon wins out and is PAC 12 champ with one loss (to Stanford) and a win over tOSU.
Cincinnati wins out, no losses.
Oklahoma wins out, no losses.
Wake Forest wins out, no losses.

Welcome to your College Football Playoff featuring Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.

Cincy, Oregon, MSU, Wake Forest scratch heads.

BTW, hardest remaining schedules:

1 - Auburn
2 - OU
3 - Michigan State
4 - Wake
5 - Michigan

The Big 10 will cannibalize itself so you may as well eliminate two of those three teams and move Wake up to 7.

Also, what if the winner of the Auburn (13) and Texas A&M (14) wins the rest of their games and Auburn beats Alabama ?

Auburn or A&M would go to the SECCG as both would have the tiebreaker over Alabama.

Last edited:
As optimistic as we have been about our chances, what happens if this happens ?

Alabama beats Georgia. Both have one loss. Alabama is SEC champ.
tOSU wins out. tOSU is B1G champ with one loss and a win over MSU and MSU has only one loss. Michigan is toast with two losses.
Oregon wins out and is PAC 12 champ with one loss (to Stanford) and a win over tOSU.
Cincinnati wins out, no losses.
Oklahoma wins out, no losses.
Wake Forest wins out, no losses.

Welcome to your College Football Playoff featuring Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma.

Cincy, Oregon, MSU, Wake Forest scratch heads.

Bama and UGA finishing with 1 loss each is a worst case scenario for an unbeaten Wake. But I do think that the debate over where to place a 1 loss Oregon vs. a 1 loss Ohio State would benefit a 0 loss Wake. The committee would view it as "Why are we having this debate when we have an unbeaten P5 team?" The least controversial route would be to go Bama, UGA, OU, Wake in whatever order. Cinci 5 to dull the complaints of OSU and Oregon. Oregon 6 by virtue of the H2H over OSU, and OSU 7.

Man, Mississippi State has lost three games and is #17. I guess that win over NC State is a pretty big deal.

Disagree. Every conference has a couple teams in the hunt. The rest looks just like the ACC. If Clemson was 8 and 0 right now they would be top five and all the idiots that do no research would do the usual Clemson and the dwarfs. Wake could have laid 80 on Duke. Maybe we should have.

The ACC is having another down year but, all things considered, I think the ACC overall is stronger than the PAC-12 and probably the Big 12, except for Oklahoma.

I'm not gonna worry about it for a few more weeks but I don't get OU over Wake based on resume

obviously there are greater forces at play here but that particular decision is annoying

UM a little less annoying, but also pretty meh

Also, what if the winner of the Auburn (13) and Texas A&M (14) wins the rest of their games and Auburn beats Alabama ?

Auburn or A&M would go to the SECCG as both would have the tiebreaker over Alabama.

In which case Bama is out of the discussion. Auburn and aTm wouldn't factor in, even if they beat UGA (unless there is a pile-up of 2 loss teams at the 4 spot).

Funny how a weak ACC benefited Clemson, but is a detriment to Wake.

Bama and UGA finishing with 1 loss each is a worst case scenario for an unbeaten Wake. But I do think that the debate over where to place a 1 loss Oregon vs. a 1 loss Ohio State would benefit a 0 loss Wake. The committee would view it as "Why are we having this debate when we have an unbeaten P5 team?" The least controversial route would be to go Bama, UGA, OU, Wake in whatever order. Cinci 5 to dull the complaints of OSU and Oregon. Oregon 6 by virtue of the H2H over OSU, and OSU 7.

So tOSU drops down from #5 now to #7 to end the year after beating MSU and Michigan and winning the B1G CG ? Herbstreit and Galloway will burn down the ESPN set on live TV. Actually, Kirk will probably be at home in his studio/office and just burn down his house.

In which case Bama is out of the discussion. Auburn and aTm wouldn't factor in, even if they beat UGA (unless there is a pile-up of 2 loss teams at the 4 spot).

But Auburn or Texas A&M would have wins over both Georgia and Alabama in that scenario and those are the best teams in the world. I guess you're right since Oregon barely gets credit for beating tOSU.

I'm not gonna worry about it for a few more weeks but I don't get OU over Wake based on resume

obviously there are greater forces at play here but that particular decision is annoying

UM a little less annoying, but also pretty meh

OU strength of schedule currently 20 spots above Wake's. But yeah, a lot of unimpressive wins in there. You could flip them and it wouldn't really matter. Stronger finish and possible opponent in the CCG would give OU the SOS edge in the end.

I'm far more annoyed at the Michigan and Ohio State stuff, but I get it. As I said, just win out and let the chips fall where they may.

Disagree. Biggest jokes are Mississippi State and Wisconsin.

How about 6-2 Minnesota who lost to Bowling Green getting to #20 on the strength of wins over 5-3 Maryland and Purdue?

Beating NC State at home is a resume builder. Let's do it.

But it won’t be if State drops out of the poll after losing to us.

Back