• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

But Auburn or Texas A&M would have wins over both Georgia and Alabama in that scenario and those are the best teams in the world. I guess you're right since Oregon barely gets credit for beating tOSU.

Don't spoil my fun. I just want to see aTm win out so they can claim they're the greatest team in the world again when they get shut out of a playoff and lose to Cinci in the Fart Bowl.

Cincinnati schedule outside of Notre Dame is complete trash.

I think the combined record of their opponents this year is something like 18-38 and ND has 7 of those wins. I could be wrong on the numbers, but ND is the only team with a winning record Of course, they haven't played Houston or SMU yet, so I expect this will change.

One thing is clear we do not want UGA losing SEC championship game or there likely is 2 sec teams with the way ESPN touts them and especially given their cfp track record. Little doubt if Alabama wins it that both tide and UGA are in assuming UGA is undefeated going into it.

We need Alabama to take another L to guarantee whoever Georgia faces has 2+ losses which should elevate us over a 2-loss SEC champ.

Whom to root for if you're for Wake Forest:

1. NC State
2. UNC-CH, Clemson, BC
3. Virginia (or anyone else) to beat Notre Dame
4. Pitt, to go 10-2 and be our opponent in the ACCCG
5. Georgia (Obviously)
6. Oregon's opponents (especially Utah, UW, and Oregon State)
7. Cincinnati's opponents when they're playing Cincinnati (especially Houston and SMU)
8. Ohio State. It's gross, but they're playing like they're the best team in the B1G and they've got MSU at home.
9. Auburn to beat Alabama
10. Oklahoma's opponents. This should be higher on the list, but one loss by OU and they're done based on the way they've played this year.
11. Penn State to beat Michigan State and Michigan too.

Last edited:
Would a 7-3 Clemson in 2 weeks get a sniff of the rankings? That could help. Gotta pull for ranked losses to boost the (barf) State and Pitt rankings

If they'll a three-loss Wisconsin they should rank a three-loss Clemson.

Whom to root for if you're for Wake Forest:

1. NC State
2. UNC-CH, Clemson, BC
3. Virginia to beat Notre Dame
4. Pitt, to go 10-2 and be our opponent in the ACCCG
5. Georgia (Obviously)
6. Oregon's opponents (especially Utah, UW, and Oregon State)
7. Cincinnati's opponents when they're playing Cincinnati (especially Houston and SMU)
8. Ohio State. It's gross, but they're playing like they're the best team in the B1G and they've got MSU at home.
9. Auburn to beat Alabama
10. Oklahoma's opponents. This should be higher on the list, but one loss by OU and they're done based on the way they've played this year.

I'm not sure if that's by level of importance, but Oregon and Oklahoma losing is more important than our opponents looking stronger in peoples' eyes, IMO. That will help but only so much -- ultimately carnage in front of us will be the biggest aid

I'm pretty ok with Georgia losing to Georgia Tech and ensuring the SEC runner-up has at least 2 losses

Also ok with Georgia Tech beating Notre Dame

I realize neither of these are likely

YO BIFF, should I root for Tech to beat Notre Dame?

I'm not sure if that's by level of importance, but Oregon and Oklahoma losing is more important than our opponents looking stronger in peoples' eyes, IMO. That will help but only so much -- ultimately carnage in front of us will be the biggest aid

I'm not going to try to rank these things in order of importance.

I hope our team doesn't get lost in this same very enjoyable endless stream of CFP pundit takes and hypotheticals. If you had asked me at the beginning of the season what was the most important thing for me it would have been to be the best program in North Carolina. Beat Duke, UNC and State. Knock UNC off the pedestal (they've already been knocked off but beating them still is critical), whoop Duke (check) and beat NC State again to keep our recent momentum over them going after last year's hiccup.

Random side question - does Wake win the ACC Atlantic if we beat State and Duke but lose to Clemson and BC? In this scenario I'm assuming Wake/State/Clemson all finish 6-2.

I can't figure out the ACC tiebreaker but I THINK we'd be eliminated because our 2 losses would have been to other ACC Atlantic teams (Clemson/BC) whereas 1 of the Clemson and State losses respectively came from an ACC Coastal team.

Three-Team (or More) Team Tie
(Once a team is eliminated from the tie, the tie-breaker procedures restart for the remaining teams. If the three (or more) team tie can be reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format will then be applied.)

1. Combined head-to-head win percentage among the tied teams.
2. Win percentage of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference win percentage, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last, using the league’s tie-breaker policies.
4. Combined win percentage versus all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Overall win percentage versus non-divisional opponents.
6. Win percentage versus common non-divisional opponents based upon their order of finish (overall win percentage) and proceeding through other common non-divisional opponents based upon their divisional order of finish.
7. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee.

if we finish tied with Clemson at 6-2 in conference, we don't win the division under any scenario

the 3-way tie you mention would give the division to NC State, which is the worst possible outcome

however we are not losing at BC

Yep. Forgot FSU in 2013. Two teams, multiple years with Clemson.

Wisconsin just dominated the (formerly) #9 team in the nation and look like they have finally figured things out. Clemson hasn't beaten a ranked team and the Badgers have beaten two teams ranked at the time they played.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the marquee win for three different schools is Wisconsin -- Notre Dame, Penn State, and Michigan.

If Wisconsin keeps winning, Ohio State or Michigan State will also be presenting Wisconsin as a signature win in the B1G CG !

Best case scenario is that Wisconsin wins the Big 10CG and keeps the entire Big 10 out of the CFP. That alone would put three teams behind WF who are currently ahead of WF in the rankings

A one-loss B1G team (MSU) would still stake their claim whether they were in the B1GCG or not.

Wisconsin just dominated the (formerly) #9 team in the nation and look like they have finally figured things out. Clemson hasn't beaten a ranked team and the Badgers have beaten two teams ranked at the time they played.

Of course, Iowa vaulted up the polls by virtue of beating preseason #17 Indiana (2-6) and Week 2 #9 Iowa State (5-3). Then capped it off by beating then #4 Penn State to start their three game losing streak that includes 3-6 Illinois.

I think the takeaway is that there are not many very good teams this year

good year for a Deacs peak

Back