• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #9 Deacs (#19 State, #25 Pitt)

So, #12 this week ?

Glad you’re still with us.

I’m thinking #15 or lower. Voters have been waiting to knock us down. We will be the lowest one-loss P5. But we still have a shot if we win out and get some help.

Last edited:
I've been incommunicado since my visit to Kenan.

Losing by three on the road to a preseason top 10 team isn't the end of the world. But, our defense is certifiably atrocious.

Behind us, the following Top 20 teams won:

10 ND
11 Ok St
14 A&M
15 BYU
16 Ole Miss
19 NC State
21 Wisconsin

The following teams lost:

12 Baylor
13 Auburn
17 Miss St
18 UK
20 Minnesota

I don't see us getting jumped by any of the teams who lost, so that will soften the blow. We're definitely going to be jumped by ND, Ok St, and A&M which had a good win against Auburn.

We could get jumped by BYU and Ole Miss if they really want to punish us.

So I think #12 is best case scenario. I think #15 is worst case scenario if they want to reach for Ole Miss and NC State who both had fairly nice wins this weekend..

Glad you’re still with us.

I’m thinking #15 or lower. Voters have been waiting to knock us down. We will be the lowest one-loss P5. But we still have a shot if we win out and get some help.

We basically have no shot. Wake's CFP chances are on life support.

i agree but it’s because we aren’t good enough to run the table convincingly. 538 still gives us a 58% chance if we run the table on the assumption that there are probably not going to be many other 1 loss teams.

I can't imagine a scenario where a 1 loss Wake Forest gets in the CFP

Yeah, the plug has already been pulled. However, we still have honestly every realistic goal still attainable. I liked day dreaming about the playoffs as much as.anybody, but it wasn't realistic. Winning an ACC title in the further expanded (since 2006) ACC and a double digit win season for only the 2nd time in our history are.

The CFP is out of the picture now. I hope I'm wrong and someone can tell me that I was, but that is gone.

The division and conference are still there and very attainable. If the team moves on from this then we will look at this like the Clemson or VPI games from 2006 and not give a shit when it's all done.

When is the last time we had a home game where both teams were ranked in the top 20?

2006. #19 Va Tech at #14 Wake Forest.

If I remember correctly, that was the one that didn't matter what happened (like UNC last week). The key was we had to beat Maryland the following week to clinch the Division, which we did. Now let's do it again vs. the Pack.

If I remember correctly, that was the one that didn't matter what happened (like UNC last week). The key was we had to beat Maryland the following week to clinch the Division, which we did. Now let's do it again vs. the Pack.
I said it it some thread, but yes you remember correctly. If we beat State and someone else the UNC game will just be one we skip in the highlight real of the season.

When is the last time we had a home game where both teams were ranked in the top 20?

This will only be the 4th Top 20 matchup in Groves/BB&T/Truist history. The others were #13 Auburn vs. #18 Wake (Wake 42-38) in 1979. Then #16 BC vs. #23 Wake, (Wake wins 21-14) and #19 VT vs. #14 Wake (VT wins 27-6.)

Conference champions have always been heavily rewarded by the committee though.

How about a scenario where Georgia beats a 2-loss SEC West champ in the SECCG and Wisconsin wins the Big Ten? That would certainly open up some slots. Same if Oregon doesn't win the Pac-12.

It ain't over til it's over, especially in this season of CFB

Conference champions have always been heavily rewarded by the committee though.

How about a scenario where Georgia beats a 2-loss SEC West champ in the SECCG and Wisconsin wins the Big Ten? That would certainly open up some slots. Same if Oregon doesn't win the Pac-12.

It ain't over til it's over, especially in this season of CFB

I don't see the committee rewarding a 12-1 Wake Forest though. Remember we only won because the rest of the ACC was "down"

Back