• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

It is a TV show that's historic production has been to do stupid shit throughout its process to generate rants and discussion. While it will be cool to be in the conversation, the only one version that isn't completely meaningless and made-for-tv drama is the one at the end.

Georgia beating Alabama in the SEC Championship game will certainly help out Oregon, Wake, and Cincinnati, because I agree that both will get in if Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship game, unless one of them loses between now and then. I honestly think Oklahoma is going to slip up and lose by year-end, which should put them below all three of the above, if they keep winning. Georgia and the B1G winner (be it OSU or MSU) will likely make it, but not both of OSU and MSU. I agree with the above though, that an undefeated Wake would be ranked ahead of Cincinnati. Just got to keep winning, because a 1 loss Wake will be playing elsewhere (albeit, in a bowl that I will definitely want to go to).

Agree that OU is likely to lose. They still have to play at #14 Baylor, at #11 OK State and they host Iowa State. Those are three next best teams in the Big 12. Then, Oklahoma has to beat one of those teams again in the Big 12 CG. OU has shown some warts.

Oregon has a tough game this Saturday at Washington (Washington has been a disappointment, but Oregon/Washington is big rivalry game). The Ducks also play at Utah, Oregon State and then have to win Pac 12 CG. Not likely they skate through schedule.

As long as WF keeps winning, the Deacs will climb the ladder.

A team from the ACC Atlantic has been ranked in the top 5 of the initial CFP Rankings every year.

Overall RecordTeamInitial CFP RankingPF vs. FBSPA vs. FBSAverage Margin vs. FBS
7-02014 Florida State#222813914.8
8-02015 Clemson#127613120.7
8-02016 Clemson#223414113.3
7-12017 Clemson#425810519.1
8-02018 Clemson#23059729.7
9-02019 Clemson#53399131.0
7-12020 Clemson#331415622.6
8-02021 Wake Forest???30617518.7

This Wake team has a larger average margin of victory at the time of the initial CFP rankings than the 2014 FSU defending champs and the 2016 Clemson team who won the national championship. Wake has a similar margin to the 2015 and 2017 Clemson teams as well. Wake has a better record than the 2017 Clemson team that lost by 3 at Syracuse and the 2020 Clemson team that lost by 7 at Notre Dame.

Wake in 2021 is doing what our Atlantic brethren FSU and Clemson have done the last 7 years. Wake should be ranked as high as those teams in the initial CFP rankings. #whynotwake

Feel free to share it wherever.

You are leaving out one key stat- Preseason Ranking of those teams. They were all Top 5 except for 2015 when Clemson was #12. It is a lot harder to move up in the rankings if you start from outside the Top 25. It shouldn't be, but it is.

The reason I say "Oof!" is these are the current results:

Cincinnati - 26.4%
Michigan State - 37.1%
Oklahoma - 31%
Wake Forest - 5.5%

This may be the biggest poll skew these boards have ever attempted.

The reason I say "Oof!" is these are the current results:

Cincinnati - 26.4%
Michigan State - 37.1%
Oklahoma - 31%
Wake Forest - 5.5%

That is Exhibit A to show how undervalued WF football is and remains.

That is Exhibit A to show how undervalued WF football is and remains.

Dave Clawson doesn't need my input. But if I'm him, I walk in the locker room and say, "gentlemen.... you are 8-0 and NOBODY thinks you're worth a sh*t. What we do from here.... it's up to you!"

I'm concerned about the possibility of Wake jumping Cincinnati to be honest. I think we'd be well served to root against ND to make that win look as not great as possible. Hopefully the committee would dig deep into ND and realize they haven't exactly pulled up trees against ACC competition thus far this year -- suppose we'll get an early sense on that front tomorrow

Official CFP Rankings Thread

Think about all the coaches out there who have had to make up slights and pull obscure quotes to motivate their players.

Clawson doesn’t have to do that at all.

Last edited:
Think about all the coaches out there who have had to make up slights and pull obscure quotes to motivate their players.

Clawson doesn’t have to do they at all.

Bingo.

Clawson doesn’t have to do they at all.

I think we've got all the motivation we need for Saturday. Last year's game, the fact that we are a top 10 team and are an underdog to a 4-4 team, it's UNC, etc., etc. We could lose, but it won't be from lack of motivation.

I'm concerned about the possibility of Wake jumping Cincinnati to be honest. I think we'd be well served to root against ND to make that win look as not great as possible. Hopefully the committee would dig deep into ND and realize they haven't exactly pulled up trees against ACC competition thus far this year -- suppose we'll get an early sense on that front tomorrow

not a great look if ND goes 5-0 against our conference but loses at home to Cinci (even if 4 of those teams could finish bottom half of their divisions)

hope UVA is prepping hard for that game coming off yielding 66 to BYU

not a great look if ND goes 5-0 against our conference but loses at home to Cinci (even if 4 of those teams could finish bottom half of their divisions)

VT blew a late lead to ND, when that game should've been over. That sucked.

What's the status of Armstrong, he went out of the BYU game? They were speculating it could be a rib fracture.

Unfortunately Armstrong injury looked ungood on Saturday, would imagine very good chance ND gets them without him

Back