• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

I'm concerned about the possibility of Wake jumping Cincinnati to be honest. I think we'd be well served to root against ND to make that win look as not great as possible. Hopefully the committee would dig deep into ND and realize they haven't exactly pulled up trees against ACC competition thus far this year -- suppose we'll get an early sense on that front tomorrow

Yeah, we need ND to lose. I've been pointing this out for weeks in an anti-Cincy manner, but it's become important to Wake. The ND win is really all UC has, as IU is bad and getting worse, and their conference sucks more ass than normal this year. We have common data points with ND with FSU, UNC-CH, and at UVA. A UVA win would do wonders for an undefeated Wake's chances.

At the end of the season, Cincinnati's best wins are going to be: ND, SMU, Houston, UCF, and ECU. All of those teams should be bowl eligible. And they've played close games against Navy and IU.

I think we've got all the motivation we need for Saturday. Last year's game, the fact that we are a top 10 team and are an underdog to a 4-4 team, it's UNC, etc., etc. We could lose, but it won't be from lack of motivation.

One reason I was confident about finishing this year is ending with our three biggest rivals, the chance to dethrone Clemson, and then BC to finish 12-0.

The reason I say "Oof!" is these are the current results:

Cincinnati - 26.4%
Michigan State - 37.1%
Oklahoma - 31%
Wake Forest - 5.5%

I'm lazy and haven't checked but it could be commensurate with the size of the respective student bodies.

The reason I say "Oof!" is these are the current results:

Cincinnati - 26.4%
Michigan State - 37.1%
Oklahoma - 31%
Wake Forest - 5.5%

Cincinnati Undergrad 28k
Michigan State Undergrad 38k
Oklahoma Undergrad 31k
Wake Undergrad 5k

feels like SOR (strength of record) is getting mentioned a lot lately (it’s an espn metric) which would be awesome
for us as we are already ranked 5th. the dirty secret is that SOS is actually based on FPI (that has clemson 10th) which in this case actually benefits us.

Cincinnati Undergrad 28k
Michigan State Undergrad 38k
Oklahoma Undergrad 31k
Wake Undergrad 5k

I really don't think that many people have watched us on TV this year. Maybe that changes Saturday

If the Deacs win out and are the undefeated ACC champion they are in the playoffs. That is the only way they get in. End of discussion.

In the seven years of the playoffs ten P5 teams finished the season undefeated. All were included in the playoffs.

Enjoy your discussions about who is in and out, who is better or worse etc. In the seven years of the playoffs there have been 38 teams to finish the season undefeated or with one loss. 28 made the tourney. Competition eliminates the pretenders from the contenders and the field of four is picked from five or six teams. That is reality.

and dook has 2 of those wins

more reason not to schedule Army, who is definitely a better team this year than Kansas, Northwestern, or Vandy (among several other P5 schools)

If the Deacs win out and are the undefeated ACC champion they are in the playoffs. That is the only way they get in. End of discussion.

In the seven years of the playoffs ten P5 teams finished the season undefeated. All were included in the playoffs.

Enjoy your discussions about who is in and out, who is better or worse etc. In the seven years of the playoffs there have been 38 teams to finish the season undefeated or with one loss. 28 made the tourney. Competition eliminates the pretenders from the contenders and the field of four is picked from five or six teams. That is reality.

Post of the year

One-loss P5 teams not to make the CFP.

2020 - #5 Texas A&M (8-1) lost at #1 Alabama in Week 2.
2019 - None - Three undefeated and one one-loss
2018 - #5 Ohio State (12-1) lost at Purdue in Week 8
2017 - #6 Wisconsin (12-1) lost to #5 Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship
2016 - None - One undefeated and three one-loss
2015 - #5 Iowa (12-1) lost to #3 Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship
2015 - #7 Ohio State (11-1) lost to #3 Michigan State in Week 13
2014 - #5 Baylor (11-1) lost at West Virginia in Week 8
2014 - #6 TCU (11-1) lost at #5 Baylor in Week 7

Bad Take. There's never been a P5 conference as down as the ACC is in the short history of playoffs. We do not get in ahead of 1 loss Bama, Georgia, OSU and undefeated OU.

Bad Take. There's never been a P5 conference as down as the ACC is in the short history of playoffs. We do not get in ahead of 1 loss Bama, Georgia, OSU and undefeated OU.

Let's hope that Wake is in the position to put our opinions to the test. Better yet, lets hope Wake is 13-0 and one or more of those four listed teams pick up another loss.

Last edited:

By what measure? Sagarin says the ACC Atlantic is stronger than the SEC East this season. The ACC is no different than it’s been the last few years except it’s Wake instead of FSU or Clemson.

By what measure? Sagarin says the ACC Atlantic is stronger than the SEC East this season. The ACC is no different than it’s been the last few years except it’s Wake instead of FSU or Clemson.

This. Wake replaced Clemson this year (so far) as the ACC leader. Clemson if undefeated, would be guaranteed a spot even if they played wake's exact schedule.

This. Wake replaced Clemson this year (so far) as the ACC leader. Clemson if undefeated, would be guaranteed a spot even if they played wake's exact schedule.
There is zero doubt of this fact. The whole mindset is based on polls that are totally useless until today, but those prior polls leak into the historical mindset of those who are making the choices.

Clemson plays a different schedule than Wake Forest with at least one decent OOC game early in the year and the occasional ND game. That gives them some protection from a weak ACC.

2021 UGA
2020 ND
2019 & 2018 A&M
2017 & 2016 Auburn
2015 ND
2014 & 2013 UGA

Clemson plays a different schedule than Wake Forest with at least one decent OOC game early in the year and the occasional ND game. That gives them some protection from a weak ACC.

2021 UGA
2020 ND
2019 & 2018 A&M
2017 & 2016 Auburn
2015 ND
2014 & 2013 UGA

Wake scheduled a preseason top 10 team out of conference.

My bad, our schedule is the same as Clemson's because LSU(2), Georgia, ND(2), App State, and South Carolina(5) over the next five years is the same as Vanderbilt(2), ND(1), Liberty(2), Ole Miss(2), Army(4), Purdue, and UConn. Which schedule would you want to go undefeated against if you were angling for the CFP ?

My bad, our schedule is the same as Clemson's because LSU(2), Georgia, ND(2), App State, and South Carolina(5) over the next five years is the same as Vanderbilt(2), ND(1), Liberty(2), Ole Miss(2), Army(4), Purdue, and UConn. Which schedule would you want to go undefeated against if you were angling for the CFP ?
LSU could suck. South Carolina sucks. App State will suck cuz portal. ND may suck or not. They ain't that good this year.

LSU could suck. South Carolina sucks. App State will suck cuz portal. ND may suck or not. They ain't that good this year.

They could suck, but we didn't schedule UNC-CH because we thought they'd be preseason Top 10. LSU won the national championship two years ago and Clemson scheduled them when they were winning 9-10 games per year.

Cincinnati is pinning it's whole resume on beating ND and people are fucking buying it.

Back