• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

I’m always torn on ND because I hate to see them have any success but it’s undeniably gratifying to watch them get run out of the building by actual elite teams.

We don’t want them to get the payday. The less lucrative their independence. The better for the ACC.

We don’t want them to get the payday. The less lucrative their independence. The better for the ACC.
Worst thing Swofford ever did was the ND deal. ND got everything. The conference got nothing. It's quite remarkable. But good on ND for shoving it up that Tarheel's bung hole.

Worst thing Swofford ever did was the ND deal. ND got everything. The conference got nothing. It's quite remarkable. But good on ND for shoving it up that Tarheel's bung hole.

I’m not sure that’s exactly true, but it is frustrating.

What part don't you think is true? ACC got ND in other sports a few games a year vs. ND. But that pales in comparison to what ND got out of the deal.

We need to start a movement to expel ND from the ACC.

What part don't you think is true? ACC got ND in other sports a few games a year vs. ND. But that pales in comparison to what ND got out of the deal.

Sure. And it’s been a good thing for the league. We weren’t that far off from being the Big 12 a few years ago.

Sure. And it’s been a good thing for the league. We weren’t that far off from being the Big 12 a few years ago.

How has having ND in the ACC (except for football) been a good thing for the league?

The ACC gets 2 to 3 home games with ND every year, which is a negotiating tool to bump the ACC TV rights contract payday. That is the really the only benefit. It's something, but not a lot. Also, last year, ND was in the ACC and so the ACC had two teams qualify for the CFP, which ND had to share. IIRC, the highest rated CFB game of 2020 was Clemson at ND. Again, it's something, but not a lot. Would guess the feeling at the time was that by reaching an agreement with the ACC, it was a step to full-time membership, which would benefit the ACC. A decade later, ND is no closer to joining the ACC. So, there benefit of adding ND (kind of), its more than nothing, but not a lot.

Last edited:
Good summary, Pilch. It was a simp deal that put ND on a pedestal instead of realizing that conference expansion made ND particularly vulnerable in terms of scheduling all sports, bowls, and playing for championships. Swofford took care of that in a way that made sure ND football could stay independent.

As I’ve said before, one of the few things that could get ND to act would be if ACC Champ 12-1 Wake beat them out for the CFP.

WF-ND games:

Home (2 played, 2 future*): 2011, 2018, 2027, 2037 (Dave Clawson will be 70 in 2037)

Road (3 played, 3 future): 2012, 2015, 2017, 2023, 2029, 2032

*also had a home game moved to Charlotte and then scrapped in 2020

the 2023 road game is the last weekend in October, so if WF is contending for an Atlantic Division title, they will have a nice physical road game late in the season

Would you rather have ND a step closer to the ACC or a step closer to the BIG 10?

Or the Big 12. They are good members in other sports. Don’t get me wrong, I hate them and I hate the deal. Let’s also not pretend it hasn’t been beneficial. The game against ND prior to them joining was a huge deal in Winston at the time.

Would you rather have ND a step closer to the ACC or a step closer to the BIG 10?

As an ACC fan, I want them in the ACC. As a college football fan, I want them in any conference instead of this Independent limbo. Let's not pretend they are a "step closer" to anything.

ND is like a neighbor who comes over all the time and eats all our food and crashes on the couch, but won't pay rent and barely chips in even though he has his own place.

As an ACC fan, I want them in the ACC. As a college football fan, I want them in any conference instead of this Independent limbo. Let's not pretend they are a "step closer" to anything.

ND is like a neighbor who comes over all the time and eats all our food and crashes on the couch, but won't pay rent and barely chips in even though he has his own place.

the Kramer of CFB

Except every time they come over, they slip a half million dollars in your pocket from increased gate revenue over an average non-conference opponent. That’s not nothing as shitty as their golden child status is.

For Wake, ND replaces a P5 opponent. Is that the case for other ACC teams?

Not all P5 games are created equal. ND boosts season ticket sales, face value of the ticket, and they sell out their game. Ole Miss doesn’t have the same weight. They just don’t.

There is absolutely no question that ND gets more out of the arrangement than the rest of us. It doesn’t mean it’s charity.

Sure. But ND gets A LOT more out of the arrangement than the rest of us. The ACC would be fine without ND. ND would struggle without the ACC. ND would have a very tough time coming up with schedules in all sports without the ACC. I guess they'd go back to the Big East in that case which would be a decent fallback but not ideal for them. Football scheduling would take a hit especially if this ACC/Big Ten/Pac-12 alliance takes off.

Off the top of my head, not for UNC this year as they still played us. UVA played @BYU which I think also technically counts as a P5 game.

Except every time they come over, they slip a half million dollars in your pocket from increased gate revenue over an average non-conference opponent. That’s not nothing as shitty as their golden child status is.

I hope they come over to our place and not Charlotte

Back