• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Chad Morris popping up a lot on Twitter. @BFeldmanCBS: Hearing #Clemson OC Chad Morris will be a big player in #WakeForest coaching search. Fantastic offensive mind.

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. I'm certainly not opposed to getting an offensive minded head coach, but no heading experience????

At least Morris has high-level recruiting experience. That's what worries me about Lembo.

Yep. I get that it's difficult to recruit at Ball State, but their recruiting appears to have taken a hit since he got there.

(It's a little negligible though - you're talking three to four 3* recruits a year to one or two.)

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. I'm certainly not opposed to getting an offensive minded head coach, but no heading experience????

I'm more concerned about past performance. All three; Narduzzi, Morris, and Lembo are winners. They have excelled in their respective roles. And while Narduzzi and Morris do not have HC experience, the OC and DC positions are also administrative positions so they must be decent administrators to have succeeded in their current jobs.

Lembo has the HC experience and is also a good fit for other reasons, but I will be excited if we hire either of these three coaches.

However, my main concern is that the "smartest man in the room" is not smart enough to hire a real winner. And we know that Hatch will not hold him accountable and the BOT is MIA soooo....

I think it's pretty unlikely we would hire Morris, seems like he's holding out for something bigger.

I'm more excited about the other two guys anyway.

Yep. I get that it's difficult to recruit at Ball State, but their recruiting appears to have taken a hit since he got there.

(It's a little negligible though - you're talking three to four 3* recruits a year to one or two.)

yeah, i would be fine with Morris but would feel more comfortable if he brought in a couple of assistants with ACC recruiting experience

I think it's pretty unlikely we would hire Morris, seems like he's holding out for something bigger.

I'm more excited about the other two guys anyway.

without knowledge of Clemson's depth chart you would have to think his stock is only going to drop next year

At least Morris has high-level recruiting experience. That's what worries me about Lembo.

That's true, but let's face it, Morris isn't going to able to come here and recruit at the level he is at Clemson. Maybe he would make the adjustment and be fine or maybe he has a hard time adjusting to not really being able to go after the 4 and 5 stars. Honestly it's like any other job, until you get whoever the guy is and they start coaching here, you're really not going to know what you've got. You just have to take the information you've got about each guy and make the best choice based on that. Unfortunately the guy in charge of doing that for us is Ron Wellman.

Wellman will not hire someone he doesn't like or get along with personally. Human character is important to him. He wants a nice guy he can have a civil conversation with. WHether it is the right or wrong way to go about things is irrelevant. This is how Wellman operates. Personality is going to matter as much as anything with this hire.

Sorry to jump in and repeat, if brought up, but what about Clawson from Bowling Green..his resume is impressive

Morris was the OC at Tulsa, a private school which is one of only a handful of FBS schools smaller than WF. He has a great mind for offense, and has now recruited in the Carolinas for 3 seasons. I would think that high profile QBs would want to play for him. He was offered the Tulsa job, and turned it down to stay as Clemson's OC. While he does not have HC experience, his experience as an OC at the highest level of FBS football and success overcome that concern for me. I would be happy with either Morris or Lembo.

Last edited:
Morris was the OC at Tulsa, a private school which is one of only a handful of FBS schools smaller than WF. He has a great mind for offense, and has now recruited in the Carolinas for 3 seasons. I would think that high profile QBs would want to play for him. He was offered the Tulsa job, and turned it down. While he does not have HC experience, his experience and success overcome that concern for me. I would be happy with either Morris or Lembo.

I think I'd take Morris over the DC from Michigan State for sure.

I will buy season tickets immediately if we hire Chad Morris. Lock him in, Ron!

Wellman will not hire someone he doesn't like or get along with personally. Human character is important to him. He wants a nice guy he can have a civil conversation with. WHether it is the right or wrong way to go about things is irrelevant. This is how Wellman operates. Personality is going to matter as much as anything with this hire.

Bzz is Exhibit A. :noidea:

I would take the OC from a top ranked BCS school with an explosive offense in a heartbeat (Morris). Would he actually come to Wake? Honestly I'd be very upbeat about Morris or Lembo either one.

The guy from MSU is great I'm sure, but if we're hiring a coordinator I think I'd prefer an OC. After suffering through Lobo all these years I'm ready for something exciting on offense.

Back