• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Some thoughts that the Morris rumors could be related to a 5 star WR's announcement tomorrow who has Clemson as a finalist.

Ron is notoriously tight-lipped during coach searches - I would be surprised if any of these folks have any inside info. I guess any targets that we have reached out to could leak the info - but I would bet that we tell them not to. There is a decent chance that none of the coaches that we are talking about are even on Ron's list. In the next week or so a name will leak out that had not been mentioned before and that at least most of us will never have heard of - that will be our new coach.

Ron is notoriously tight-lipped during coach searches - I would be surprised if any of these folks have any inside info. I guess any targets that we have reached out to could leak the info - but I would bet that we tell them not to. There is a decent chance that none of the coaches that we are talking about are even on Ron's list. In the next week or so a name will leak out that had not been mentioned before and that at least most of us will never have heard of - that will be our new coach.

Yeah, I had the same thought on another thread. I'm afraid all the "buzz" around these coaches is coming from this website. I got pretty excited right before we hired Buzz. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised this time.

Morris and Narduzzi are not coming here - they're going to be in the mix for much bigger jobs than us.

Morris would not be able to get the same kids in school at Wake that he does at Clemson.

The three coaches mentioned seem decent.
But what I think is very important is that we make a decision sooner than later as compared to what we did when we hired Caldwell. Took us months to make a hire and that's never good.

But what I think is very important is that we make a decision sooner than later as compared to what we did when we hired Caldwell. Took us months to make a hire and that's never good.

I would think that any announcement of may wait until after bowl season - although it may be leaked.

If we don't have a HC by the end of the week we're in trouble.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm sad to see Grobe fall on the sword and leave, but I'm also giddy as a school girl with the prospects of bringing in a new and exciting coach. I think footballscoop is excessively getting my hopes up.

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-f...olo_ken00.html

Ken Niumatalolo. Other than the fact that no one will ever be able to spell his last name, there's a lot to like about him.

Delete if Haas.

Weird. I was just thinking how odd it was that his name has hardly been mentioned (if at all). Looks like he's earning about $1.5mil (http://blogs.militarytimes.com/afte...ey-niumatalolo-stays-atop-academy-coach-list/)

The Culture Brigade would go from six to midnight if we hired him.

My take on the criteria that should be used for selecting the next FB HC:

1. Personality/Character. Wake is different from most of the schools playing in the FBS. Alumni, faculty, students all are able to get a lot closer personally to the FB coach, and they all want to feel a little personal attention, even if just for a few minutes at an alumni gathering. Jim Grobe was a master at this. As an academically rigorous school, the new coach will have to understand that the student athletes will have to be students first, go to class, do their classwork, stay out of trouble and graduate. Failure in this realm is a fireable offense at Wake, where it might not be elsewhere.

2. Coaching resume. Someone who has demonstrated leadership of a football coaching team, either as HC or coordinator either at another FBS school or a high (regular playoff contender) FCS school. Someone who understands the difficulties and opportunities that a small, academically rigorous school like Wake brings. That is best shown by previous tenure at schools that share some of the characteristics of Wake.

3. Recruiting ability . Recruiting student athletes to Wake isn't like recruiting at big football schools, where the staff selects more than recruits. Student athletes will need to be sold on the value of playing at Wake, seeing losses as well as wins and going to class and actually getting a degree that means something.

4. Coaching ability. Rarely is the Wake coach going to be able to just line up his players against the opposition, and think he simply has more talent across the field than the other team. Therefore, the Wake coach is going to need to be innovative and imaginative, doing something everybody else isn't. That was trademark of the early Grobe years. Wake didn't always win, but the other coaches knew their team was in for a difficult game.

5. Staff. If the new HC is from the defensive side of the ball, he would need to bring in an offensive coordinator with a record of success, and vice versa. It should also be someone who has staff that is loyal to him, and likes working with him. I would also like to see him give a few of the existing Wake staff a legitimate shot at open positions. Some of the current staff has pretty good credentials and seem to be doing good work with their units.

I'm not in charge of the hire, just my 2 cents worth of musings this morning.

Rocco would be a great hire for wake! Played at wake and has always wanted to return as a coach. Has an academic background. Was very successful in his long-time in the ACC. He was the recruiting coordinator for UVAs top 5 recruiting class back in '04 ! So he can clearly bring in elite talent. I personally would love to see this kind of energy and leadership leading our football team. I could really see him being a long term solution.

Rocco would be a great hire for wake! Played at wake and has always wanted to return as a coach. Has an academic background. Was very successful in his long-time in the ACC. He was the recruiting coordinator for UVAs top 5 recruiting class back in '04 ! So he can clearly bring in elite talent. I personally would love to see this kind of energy and leadership leading our football team. I could really see him being a long term solution.

uh oh............... AD plant?

nooooo

Some thoughts that the Morris rumors could be related to a 5 star WR's announcement tomorrow who has Clemson as a finalist.
There are reports Urban said two prayers to the devil last night instead of his normal one.

Back