• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

if you can hire a dude with one year's coaching experience from the mountain west, you have to do it.

But...FAMILY MAN!!

Ken Niumatalolo, Navy Head Football Coach:
"Utah State could not have hired a more qualified head coach to lead their program than Matt Wells. Matt is an Aggie to the core. From an X's and O's standpoint, Matt is an exceptional football coach, but more importantly, he is a family man of the highest character."

The only problem I have is that he was a New Mexico for a couple of years and they are always terrible. Also, no small private school experience, but I am sure he will come cheap.

He'll use us to get a better deal from USU. Why leave if the money is the same?

But...FAMILY MAN!!

Ken Niumatalolo, Navy Head Football Coach:
"Utah State could not have hired a more qualified head coach to lead their program than Matt Wells. Matt is an Aggie to the core. From an X's and O's standpoint, Matt is an exceptional football coach, but more importantly, he is a family man of the highest character."

Sounds like someone else?

"I think the world of Coach [Redacted]. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)

He'll use us to get a better deal from USU. Why leave if the money is the same?

Considering that USU is where he played and has lived for a long time, I would agree. He will play the interest to get what he wants for himself and staff. I am sure his salary is not great and now is the time to put some pressure on USU. He will play us. Can drag it out over the week-end since he has a championship game to prepare for.

utah state is his alma mater as well

This would make no sense for either party. He has only been a HC for one season and was only an OC for a season before that. It also appears that a quick stop with Louisville is the closest he has ever been to the NC area. On the other hand, it would be a pretty shitty move to leave your alma mater after one single season, especially to go across the country to WF.

On the other hand, it would be a pretty shitty move to leave your alma mater after one single season, especially to go across the country to WF.

Who cares? Who would begrudge him a payday at a BCS school for him and his staff?

he's no nard dooze but this guy could be pretty good. i like that he's been a recruiting coordinator at 3 stops.

he's certainly no stranger to job hopping:

Coaching History:
2013- Utah State - Head Coach
2012 Utah State - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2011 Utah State - Quarterbacks/Recruiting Coordinator
2010 New Mexico - Wide Receivers
2009 Louisville - Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator
2007-08 New Mexico - Wide Receivers/Recruiting Coordinator
2002-06 Tulsa - Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator
1997-01 Navy - Quarterbacks/Fullbacks/Wide Receivers/J.V. Head Coach

Meh, unless your alma mater is a big name school, I don't think it's that unreasonable to leave them for a better job opportunity.

Back