• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

I believe this is Utah State's beat writer:

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon 2m
Just on its face, I am a little skeptical about this rumor. USU is Matt Wells' alma mater. He has a lot of ties, and he's well liked here.

Last thought: it's not that impressive that he led them to an 8-4 record and 7-1 in conference this year when they were actually 11-2 and 6-0 a year before. One good season doesn't tell you a whole lot about a coach, since you can ride the coattails of the previous year if you have enough returning players.

According to the F/+ numbers, the 2012 Utah State team (Gary Andersen's) was #17 in the nation. The 2013 team was #32. Good team, but it's not cool when you hire a coach who didn't raise the profile of his school in any way.

He's no NARD DOOZLE but I'm fine with this guy. Utah St. named him head coach the day after Anderson left, they must have liked him a lot.

Reminds me a bit of John Mackovic when he came to Wake. Nice guy, just left way too soon. I think this guy might be using the Wake job to get a raise for himself and staff.

He did well without CHUCKIE this year. Not enough HC experience for my tastes. Dude is young and offensive-minded which doesn't fit Wellman's MO at all. He'd be solid but I think we can do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminds me a bit of John Mackovic when he came to Wake. Nice guy, just left way too soon. I think this guy might be using the Wake job to get a raise for himself and staff.

Bud, I forget. Are you supposed to leave town now? Or is that only with recruits? Or is Wellman such a lost cause that it doesn't matter?

We all know it's going to be Skip Holtz right? I mean come on. Great head coaching experience, track record of success everywhere he's been, connections to North Carolina, legendary coaching pedigree, bears a passing resemblance to Pete Lembo, and has connections to Notre Dame. Notre Dame people!!1! Hatch will love it. The fans will love it. Back on top!!!1!

Think about it. He's been to five bowl games since 2006 (post-season success), and after a few minor down years, we should be able to steal him away. He was once the coach-in-waiting at South Carolina until Spurrier became available. He can be to Wake Forest football what [Redacted] is to Wake Forest basketball. It all just makes too much sense.

I see a flight came into Smith Reynolds from Shreveport, LA this morning (http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KINT). That's right down the road from LA Tech. He's probably over at Bridger right now.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether this is a good hire, I would lose my mind if this guy convinced Chuckie Keeton to come with him here and rehab during the year he has to sit out.

Also, if this dude had anything to do with recruiting Chuckie Keeton (it sounds like he did), then I'd have a hell of a lot more confidence in our QB talent going forward.

And peep this: http://utah.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186768

Matt Wells made the Rivals list of "Top Recruiters" in the non BCS conferences.

Matt Wells, Utah State
Buzz: Wells and fellow assistant coach Ilaisa Tuiaki share recruiting responsibilities and both did an outstanding job on the trail along with many other Utah State coaches. Wells had a big influence on landing two-star quarterback Chuckie Keeton, a former Air Force commit. The Aggies finished tops in the WAC rankings.

I feel like I should just preemptively turn myself in to wfupd if Ron hires Skippy

I feel like I should just preemptively turn myself in to wfupd if Ron hires Skippy
Don't worry. They will still let you roll the quad in celebration. They haven't forgotten that tradition yet.

Seems a little too young, energetic, hands-on, capable, and too aggressive a recruiter for Wellman's taste.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Wellman hires someone whose current fans are happy to see him go, but I'd be pissed if it happened (again)

Fans w/ some sense would be mad to see him go, its the lunatic fringe that hates on Bobo. Georgia's D coordinator on the other hand...

Fans w/ some sense would be mad to see him go, its the lunatic fringe that hates on Bobo. Georgia's D coordinator on the other hand...

I only want a guy that nobody wants to see go. I want that fanbase to be united in trying to get the coach to stay. Of all fanbases we should be well aware of how easy it is for a small portion of fans to label dissenters as the lunatic fringe. I don't know the UGA situation but I would prefer to steer clear of anyone that divides their fanbase.

Back