• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

But since Patterson is still getting settled -- quite literally: he moved into an apartment today -- I don't think he'll be firing/hiring in the next few days.

Who exactly is seeking out Chad Morris right now other than possibly Wake? Chad's offense as put up some big numbers on a lot of schools lesser talented than Clemson but when he plays the big boys (FSU/SC) he's only been able to produce 14&17 points this year. I still think he'd be a good get for Wake no doubt, but I highly doubt Wellman is interested.

I guess you've forgotten the Georgia and LSU games, as well as the fact that Clemson's offense pre-Morris was pretty shitty compared to now. I only recall two teams breaking 50 against WFU this season...

Morris would be a home run. There's talk of a couple lower-end SEC offers being flown his way as well as the Texas fanbase clamoring for him to replace Mack Brown (doubt that'll materialize), but yeah. He's sought after. All I know is you won't get a peep from him until after bowl season, and even then there's a good chance he'll stay.

It won't happen though because Ron wants a coach with HC experience. He's shooting everyone in the foot doing this... there are a lot of fantastic coordinators out there.

I'm hearing that we already said no to coach O and are interviewing two bowl game coaches. Don't know any details beyond that.

I think that in Wellman's mind Narduzzi=Bo Pelini. He'll keep it safe and then try to sell the guy to a skeptical fan base. 1) Lembo: make sense, maybe too much sense. 2)Rocco: Has the resume, but would be more appealing if he won those three 2 pt loses and was (9-3). 3) wild card. It's Wellman, you know.

Was it as crazy as this with the nutty suggestions after Caldwell got canned ?

I imagine the majority back then said WHO ? and OHIO U. ? when Grobe was announced.

:)

Wellman was on 620AM The Buzz in Raleigh this morning. Talked generically about the coach search - needed to be someone who understood Wake Forest and would not be frustrated here. Would love someone with a track record of success as a head coach but would also look at OC / DC from college as well as NFL. Already had a list of candidates - has a list for all sports that is updated yearly. Nothing earth shattering or revealing but a pretty good discussion.

Wellman was on 620AM The Buzz in Raleigh this morning. Talked generically about the coach search - needed to be someone who understood Wake Forest and would not be frustrated here. Would love someone with a track record of success as a head coach but would also look at OC / DC from college as well as NFL. Already had a list of candidates - has a list for all sports that is updated yearly. Nothing earth shattering or revealing but a pretty good discussion.

IIRC he said this during our basketball search too. That is so dumb. Any "list" that he updates "yearly" is unlikely to be well-researched or kept current. Just hire a damn search firm and be done with it.

sweet so we'll get our pick from the best candidates in 2010

I think we'll know by a week from now. If we don't, we're in trouble.

Would Chad Morris Really Leave Clemson for Wake Forest Job?

More of the same. Article conclusion: The odds are unlikely, at absolute best.

From the article:

“I think you’ve got to look at it, there’s a huge commitment to winning in Clemson. From my deal, my contract, I’m in a situation, it’s going to have to be the right fit before it can happen,” he said last December. “Just to say you’re a head coach, I have no desire to say I’m a head coach at wherever, I have no desire to do that. We’ve got a great situation here, we’re building something special and a great commitment to winning. That’s what’s happening.”

Oh no, Chad. We have a huge commitment to winning here at Wake Forest too. I mean, just look at our basketball program...

Wrong.

It's dumb to pretend that coaching at WF doesn't come with certain unique challenges. What's LOWF is the suggestion they can't be overcome.

You are correct of course - but when Wellman says that we need a coach that won't be frustrated here I think there is an implication that any coach will lose quite a bit at WF due to the unique challenges. Which, even if it is true, isn't exactly something I love to hear the AD saying.

Back