• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Wellman was on 620AM The Buzz in Raleigh this morning. Talked generically about the coach search - needed to be someone who understood Wake Forest and would not be frustrated here. Would love someone with a track record of success as a head coach but would also look at OC / DC from college as well as NFL. Already had a list of candidates - has a list for all sports that is updated yearly. Nothing earth shattering or revealing but a pretty good discussion.

Maybe Paul Hackett is on the list. No substantial success as a college head coach, several years in "the league" as an assistant. I bet Wellman could get a bunch of quotes from coaches and players talking about what a great football mind Hackett has.

Just for reference, remember how the BC fan base lambasted the selection of Addazio ? It was classic 'Temple ??' and 'Who's he ?'.

Will geewiz....look how THAT turned out, eh ?

Wellman did also say that the goal is winning ACC championships - Jim Grobe had shown it can be done. And the comment about "not frustrated" related to the standards of Wake Forest, that WFU is a private university, etc. It did not come across as LOWF, but that the coach needs to understand that Wake is not a large public university with lower academic standards. As others have pointed out, this is reality....... but it should not prevent success (winning games).

Is Wellman's one man search committee really just him. No input from BOT, assistants, anyone else. It's just Wellman sitting in a room, using yahoo search bar to type in names from a list he keeps on a napkin.

Is Wellman's one man search committee really just him. No input from BOT, assistants, anyone else. It's just Wellman sitting in a room, using yahoo search bar to type in names from a list he keeps on a napkin.

Wellman doesn't use the internet or read the papers. He uses his extensive network from his NCAA connections to network with other ADs and Coaches and to identify prospective coaches. He already has his list from the last time he updated it in January so he is hitting the ground running. Go Wellman!!

From the article:

“I think you’ve got to look at it, there’s a huge commitment to winning in Clemson. From my deal, my contract, I’m in a situation, it’s going to have to be the right fit before it can happen,” he said last December. “Just to say you’re a head coach, I have no desire to say I’m a head coach at wherever, I have no desire to do that. We’ve got a great situation here, we’re building something special and a great commitment to winning. That’s what’s happening.”
Oh no, Chad. We have a huge commitment to winning here at Wake Forest too. I mean, just look at our basketball program...

Morris cares too much about winning. Unfortunately RW would never allow someone like that to coach at Wake. And even if our AD did consider him, a winner like Morris would never work for a loser like Ron Wellman.

IIRC he said this during our basketball search too. That is so dumb. Any "list" that he updates "yearly" is unlikely to be well-researched or kept current. Just hire a damn search firm and be done with it.

His basketball list:

1. Jeffrey Bzdelick

That's it, that's the list

Wellman doesn't use the internet or read the papers. He uses his extensive network from his NCAA connections to network with other ADs and Coaches and to identify prospective coaches. He already has his list from the last time he updated it in January so he is hitting the ground running. Go Wellman!!

Wouldn't want to bother with things like stats and such.

Turner Gill

"The Jayhawks started the season 2-0, but finished on a 10-game losing streak including a blowout loss to rival Kansas State. The Jayhawks had low rankings in several statistical categories. The Jayhawks were ranked, out of 120, 101st in passing yards, 95th in points scored, 120th in points allowed, 106th in total offense, and were outscored 525-238. These low numbers, along with a combined 5-19 record, led to Gill being fired after only 2 seasons.[13] During his tenure at Kansas, Gill had a 1-16 record against the Big 12."

Not my best idea, maybe. But I do like him.

"The Jayhawks started the season 2-0, but finished on a 10-game losing streak including a blowout loss to rival Kansas State. The Jayhawks had low rankings in several statistical categories. The Jayhawks were ranked, out of 120, 101st in passing yards, 95th in points scored, 120th in points allowed, 106th in total offense, and were outscored 525-238. These low numbers, along with a combined 5-19 record, led to Gill being fired after only 2 seasons.[13] During his tenure at Kansas, Gill had a 1-16 record against the Big 12."

I'd take Jeff Monken from Georgia Southern. He'd need a strong DC to come in with him though.

How about someone like Mike Bobo from UGA? He's got a proven record as an OC at a major college program.

Last edited:
Dean Hood

Head Coach Eastern Kentucky[edit]
Coach Hood took over as head coach for the Eastern Kentucky Colonels in 2008, winning the Ohio Valley Conference and making an appearance in the FCS playoffs in his first season. For his efforts in his inaugural season, Coach Hood was named Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year in 2008. Three seasons later in 2011, Hood's Colonels again won the Ohio Valley Conference and made Hood's second appearance in the FCS playoffs.
Since taking over the helm in 2008, Eastern Kentucky has won more conference games than any other team in the Ohio Valley Conference.

DeacMom is 0-2.

Look up Pete Lembo and Pat Narduzzi, DeacMom.

Wrong.

It's dumb to pretend that coaching at WF doesn't come with certain unique challenges. What's LOWF is the suggestion they can't be overcome.

Except with Wellman, it's code for "The Wake Forest Way" and Culture (tm) that means he wants a lackey who'll swallow every restriction without question. Unlike Dino, but like Buzz.

Back