• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) Thread

Looks like the good times are over, Nevada shutting shit down and have to figure federal level next. This is much shorter lived than online poker.

I'm not sure the Nevada decision has much impact on the impending federal decision. Nevada isn't the first state to ban DFS, and it's kind of surprising this didn't happen earlier because it can be seen as direct competition to their legal gambling ventures.

The federal investigation was sparked by allegations of fraud because of cross site playing. I'm not sure they're going to find much there, and their look into the skill versus luck aspect of it is probably going to be favorable to DFS as well when they see pro players records versus amateurs (of course in reality sports betting is a skill also).

The main thing DFS has going for it, that online poker never did, is that it had an explicit exemption in the law that made it legit and investable. Online poker always operated in a grey fringe of the law with most investment coming from other poker players. DFS sites are valued at billions with investments from powerful billion dollar companies and sports leagues. They have powerful allies.

The real tragedy in all this is DFS should have paved the way to legalize all sports betting, but the lack of vigilant regulation at the outset might ruin the party for everyone.

I'm not sure the Nevada decision has much impact on the impending federal decision. Nevada isn't the first state to ban DFS, and it's kind of surprising this didn't happen earlier because it can be seen as direct competition to their legal gambling ventures.

The federal investigation was sparked by allegations of fraud because of cross site playing. I'm not sure they're going to find much there, and their look into the skill versus luck aspect of it is probably going to be favorable to DFS as well when they see pro players records versus amateurs (of course in reality sports betting is a skill also).

The main thing DFS has going for it, that online poker never did, is that it had an explicit exemption in the law that made it legit and investable. Online poker always operated in a grey fringe of the law with most investment coming from other poker players. DFS sites are valued at billions with investments from powerful billion dollar companies and sports leagues. They have powerful allies.

The real tragedy in all this is DFS should have paved the way to legalize all sports betting, but the lack of vigilant regulation at the outset might ruin the party for everyone.

I wouldn't be so sure about the 'pro players winning all the $' argument. There were a couple of sites that tracked online tournament play and it was very similar to the DFS stats - 5% won real money, 10% were small winners, 15% were small losers and the other 70% paid the rake.

Otherwise, I agree completely with your post.

Last edited:
I am a bit worried, but there are a lot of powerful groups behind DFS(MLB, NBA, Newscorp, NFL). I realize DC cares nothing for the majority of us, but messing with football, even indirectly, is a big risk.

If they do take up debate on this I will be unbelievably pissed. They try to pass this TPP bullshit which negatively impacts the entire country and claim there is no time for real debate on it. But hey, there is plenty of time to fuck with DFS which millions of citizens enjoy on a weekly basis.

I am a bit worried, but there are a lot of powerful groups behind DFS(MLB, NBA, Newscorp, NFL). I realize DC cares nothing for the majority of us, but messing with football, even indirectly, is a big risk.

If they do take up debate on this I will be unbelievably pissed. They try to pass this TPP bullshit which negatively impacts the entire country and claim there is no time for real debate on it. But hey, there is plenty of time to fuck with DFS which millions of citizens enjoy on a weekly basis.

People enjoyed online Poker too, and that was shut down.

That 2006 law is very clear in allowing fantasy sports in this style to be wagered on. If they go against that, they are shutting down billion dollar companies for doing nothing wrong.

Not saying it hasn't been done before but I'd be surprised if there was federal legislation banning it.

The NFL is contacting members in the house to lobby them against pursuing a hearing on DFS.

Sheldon Adelson will outspend the NFL

You can declare the election over if Adelson gets Congressional Republicans to try to shut down DFS and Republican candidates to line up against it.

Really glad I broke up my Stafford-Megatron stack and played Brown instead. If only I had kept
Olsen in my cash game lineups. But as a Panthers fan I knew it could just as easily been a 7-8 point day for him.

Was a sneaky game for him as well. Every time Redzone cut in for a CArds highlite...it seemed to be a Floyd catch. But yeah, would love to hear the thought process. Most of the analysis I read last week was to your point focused on Palmer/Fitz.

Great call, Nonny. What made you think Brown instead of Fitz this week?
Going against PIT was obviously favorable, 5th against run and 18th against pass so makes sense gameplan would be lots of passing.

As for Brown, PIT was ranked 30th against #2 WRs which puts him in a great spot. Looking a bit further, I expected him to match up against Antown Blake who is PFF's 91st (out of 107) ranked cover corner. Crazy to think his day could have actually been bigger as they looked for him multiple times in the end zone.

Going against PIT was obviously favorable, 5th against run and 18th against pass so makes sense gameplan would be lots of passing.

As for Brown, PIT was ranked 30th against #2 WRs which puts him in a great spot. Looking a bit further, I expected him to match up against Antown Blake who is PFF's 91st (out of 107) ranked cover corner. Crazy to think his day could have actually been bigger as they looked for him multiple times in the end zone.

How do you get this type of info? Is it just PFF?

Back