• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) Thread

Some Wake buddies were in town this weekend and we stayed with one of our crew in the area who writes for one of the major fantasy website and does 20-40 daily fantasy entries a week.

We spent a lot of time talking about his picks. We turned on ESPN Sunday morning and saw Matthew Berry's segment. He had the exact same players who were on a majority of my buddy's teams.

I hate all of you people for the influx of Draft Kings commercials, promos, and sponsorships.

Make that 3 who lost money on that play. Ugh. Had stacked Bradford and J. Matthews in my lineup.

2nd place guy in Millionaire Maker is down 1.32 points with Carlos Hyde; leader has Minny Defense. I can't imagine how stressed they both are.

Ended up a very successful week 1 (mostly thanks to overlay).

Draftkings: Had a couple decent looks but Charles Johnson doing nothing hurt at the end. Lost $335.
StarsDraft: Pulled a 16th place in their $100k tourney with Jordan Matthews. Had that play been ruled as a TD as it should have, I would have finished in 9th for $1250 instead of $200. Profit $1,084.
FantasyDraft: They don't have a clean way to see your totals but cashed in about 80% of tourneys with an average of around 3x. Another guy in our crew ended up taking down 4th in one for $2100. I should have a profit of around $2400.
Yahoo: Thought I had the most chance in this one but no late momentum. Profit of $528.

And looks like sites are continuing to run the same tourneys as this week and just accepting the overlay as a cost of acquiring customers. If this keeps up and people don't catch on, this could end up being a very profitable season.

Jesus...So you profited $3500+?

How much do you deposit?

I put in $50 and ended up losing $20/Winning $30 and I was excited lol

nice job nony. i had no idea people bet this much on fantasy. what do you mean "your crew"?

DK was $1200, StarsDraft was $600, FantasyDraft was $1200, and Yahoo was $1000.

We have 4 of us that all treat DFS pretty seriously and work together throughout the year. We each have a sport we specialize in but all put the most effort into football. For NFL this year, we've all taken different roles. For example, one guy focused purely on secondaries and identifying WR opportunities. Below is an example of some of the analysis for DeAndre Hopkins and Tavon Austin. Hopkins ended up in about 30% of our lineups and given his actual ownership was around 5% across sites, that became a very profitable contrarian play.

9123aa28c9bd885e04f80ee355fb4eaf.jpg

Our other big play of the day was pairing Jarvis Landry with the Dolphins D in 45% of our lineups. Both were very good values but knowing the Jarvis was the PR/KR, pairing them had the additional benefit that a return for a TD would be a 12 point play. And that worked out very nicely. Unfortunately a lot of the other popular defenses also had big games (i.e., Carolina, NYJ)

Would have won all my multipliers if the Matthews score was a TD, as I also had Bradford.

Based on posted values this week, recommended strategy:
Find the largest 50/50 contests that only allow a single entry. The algorithm sharks feed on multiple pick contests, hurting your odds.
The recent ad push by DraftKings/FanDuel will increase the number of casual players that are dabbling; capitalize on this. Enter as many $1, $5, $25 50/50 contests as possible.
Elect for contests that contain Thursday players, but steer clear from players in the Den/KC matchup. Let the homers and overly anxious improve your odds.
Do not spend big on RB's this week.

Elect for contests that contain Thursday players, but steer clear from players in the Den/KC matchup. Let the homers and overly anxious improve your odds.
This is a pretty subtle but good piece of advice. The casual fans like to create Thursday tourney lineups and then hammer it with people from that Thursday game so they can add some excitement to watching it. More often than not, they're over valuing the players from that night so the fade gains some additional value.

The strategy for FanDuel is a bit more interesting as well given the lineups locking Thursday. For 50/50s, stay away from any risky guys that are injured and may not play. For tourneys, there's contrarian benefit to grabbing a guy where reports are iffy, but if he plays, could have a huge game.

Doesn't really matter in DK as you can adjust your lineup prior to each game.

DK was $1200, StarsDraft was $600, FantasyDraft was $1200, and Yahoo was $1000.

We have 4 of us that all treat DFS pretty seriously and work together throughout the year. We each have a sport we specialize in but all put the most effort into football. For NFL this year, we've all taken different roles. For example, one guy focused purely on secondaries and identifying WR opportunities. Below is an example of some of the analysis for DeAndre Hopkins and Tavon Austin. Hopkins ended up in about 30% of our lineups and given his actual ownership was around 5% across sites, that became a very profitable contrarian play.

Pretty cool system. Out of curiosity, are any of you employed/married/kids? I feel like I could have done really well at this ~15 years ago and would love to try it, but I know that now I have nowhere near enough the free time necessary to devote to win anything worthwhile, so I have been staying away.

I have a 28 year old female pregnant assistant that does it for me

All employed. Three of us working as analysts for a bank and one runs a small business. No kids or marriage so that definitely helps.

MLB would take me about an hour a day but you'd need to be around the computer around deadline to check rosters. NFL is a lot harder to put an estimate of time but it's all things we'd already be doing because we enjoy the sport, but the additional time for checking sites, making lineups, etc. isn't too bad.

Anyone on FanDuel? Do they do referral incentives like DK? If so, shoot me a PM. I'm about to make a deposit on FD and figured someone on here could benefit from it.

Back