• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Deacs - High Point game thread

From someone who didn't watch the game, only listened on the radio...

Looking at the box score, our defense doesn't look that bad. They shot 44% from the field. High Point shot a great % from 3, but that's actually pretty standard for them. That's one of their only strengths.

The biggest issue, by far, was rebounding. For most of this year, we've been able to get by with ignoring offensive boards by protecting our own glass. Didn't happen tonight. They had 12 offensive rebounds to our 2. That's the main reason they were able to attempt 15 more shots, and stay in the game despite our excellent shooting numbers.

Tough to know who to "blame" without watching the game, but 7 rebounds from Travis and Carson combined, against a team with no height at all, is really disappointing.

I think there were plenty of long rebounds which is where our guards have to realize, unlike summer runs, they have to box out and go get the ball, not stand there and watch our bigger guys struggle due to lack of size or strength. We don't have a good enough big to just let him clean the glass.

Also, if High Point is a tough road win, we may very well go 1-15 again in the watered down ACC. I mean, jeez.

Thanks to everyone who posted updates/analysis last night. I was tracking on my iPhone furiously.

Sounds like a decent win overall, especially when a guy hangs 35 on you. We know the rebounding troubles and short bench are a problem - sounds like Bz and the guys are doing a good job planning around those deficiences.

HP is not an awful team looking at their previous results, had some close losses to good teams.

We don't rebound well, because our offensive sets take our bigs spend above the free throw line and on D, no one boxes out.

I forgot to give major props to TC. Most assists of the year, great shooting, only 2 TOs, passionate leadership. Keep it up, man.

I forgot to give major props to TC. Most assists of the year, great shooting, only 2 TOs, passionate leadership. Keep it up, man.

Who was that guy wearing Tony's jersey last night? Haven't seen game from him before like that, but it was a welcome sight. We don't win last night without Tony and Nikita having their best games as a Deac, and CJ shooting lights out. For that matter, it might have been CJ's best game as a Deac as well.

Who was that guy wearing Tony's jersey last night? Haven't seen game from him before like that, but it was a welcome sight. We don't win last night without Tony and Nikita having their best games as a Deac, and CJ shooting lights out. For that matter, it might have been CJ's best game as a Deac as well.

You're right, Nikita too. Great job.

For anyone who saw that game (I listened to it on radio) how/why was TC so effective? Did his shot mechanics look differently, was he playing at a slower pace/seeing the floor better? His shot has looked so awful in past games that I was shocked (and pleasantly surprised) that he hit some big shots.

For anyone who saw that game (I listened to it on radio) how/why was TC so effective? Did his shot mechanics look differently, was he playing at a slower pace/seeing the floor better? His shot has looked so awful in past games that I was shocked (and pleasantly surprised) that he hit some big shots.

No different they just went in. The 3 FTs he missed I thought he may have damaged the rim they were bricks, but he made 7 others so that's good. He said that he tried to shoot without thinking about it, just letting his instincts take over.

His shot certainly looked the same. The radio broadcast was in pretty good sync with the video so I listened to Stan and Dinger while watching. After his first shot was a miss early in the game, Dinger said, "That's not Tony's game." Obviously, both Stan and Dinger were very surprised at his good shooting night as the game progressed.

Worked for one game anyway. Hope it keeps up.

Last edited:
TC looked a lot quicker last night and he played at a faster pace and took his shots more aggressively. For the first time he looked like the player I saw in the summer league before his injury.

I literally can't imagine a grown man who makes $1MM+ per year dressing like that. This cannot be real life.

What's the easiest way other than a reach in to pick up cheap fouls consistently? Anybody?

Can this team afford to get in foul trouble?

Anybody posting here actually play basketball?

TC looked a lot quicker last night and he played at a faster pace and took his shots more aggressively. For the first time he looked like the player I saw in the summer league before his injury.

This is great news. Hopefully he's turning a corner in his development. I couldn't watch or listen to the game last night but his box score can't be ignored.

I literally can't imagine a grown man who makes $1MM+ per year dressing like that. This cannot be real life.

This board's obsession with clothes is bizarre....especially considering the boring clothing choices most Wake students and alums have amde for the fapst hlaf a century.

What's the easiest way other than a reach in to pick up cheap fouls consistently? Anybody?

Can this team afford to get in foul trouble?

Anybody posting here actually play basketball?

don't bother the whiners with reality.

I don't understand why he doesn't go to a nice men's shop and have them hook him up.

And it is a legitimate point of issue, because public image and perception is a big part of his job.

I don't understand why he doesn't go to a nice men's shop and have them hook him up.

And it is a legitimate point of issue, because public image and perception is a big part of his job.

Absolutely. He's one of the most public faces of the university. Dressing like you blindly selected clothes at the Goodwill in Winston is NOT acceptable.

Absolutely. He's one of the most public faces of the university. Dressing like you blindly selected clothes at the Goodwill in Winston is NOT acceptable.

Yep- you would think that Cahill & Swain, who sponsors the coaches' radio shows trivia contests, could hook him up- I've done quite nicely with my Southerin Tide shirt wins over the years! :)

We don't rebound well, because our offensive sets take our bigs spend above the free throw line and on D, no one boxes out.

I don't care about missing out on offensive rebounds. Run the offensive that results in the best shots even if it does limit opportunities at offensive rebounds, but it's pretty ridiculous for any Wake team to give up 12 offensive rebounds to High Point. That's pretty poor.

Back