• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Duke's Mayo Bowl vs. Wisconsin Thread

Yeah, I'm worried about Hartman. I know he still has 3 years of eligibility left, but in the old days of just a few years ago he would have just finished up his junior year based on his playing time and he should not be doing things like throwing picks on 4 straight possessions. Add in his complete lack of running ability and I ....well I'm worried.

My concern about Hartman is he reverts to throwing fastballs that are too fast and/or high to catch, particularly on short routes. Yet to see improvement in these areas. Didn’t see anything from the backups that impressed. Hopefully frosh QB can push the current group.

Sam just had a bad game, it's happens. It's a shame it happened in a bowl game with a national audience, but hey all that anybody but us is talking about today is Wiscy dropping and breaking the trophy. Sam will be a better QB for it or he'll lose his spot, I think he'll be a better QB from it.

Repairs and improvements made:
file.php

Hartman is a captain and leader, by far the most experienced QB , and reportedly a Ruggiero favorite from early in his career based on his superior knowledge of the offense . Barring injury he will be our starter next September. He has his weaknesses, but has shown the ability to put up points quickly, which is still important unless we have a greatly improved defense. If he loses his job in the fall, it will not be good news— it will be because we are having a rough season. Let’s support Hartman — he will be our guy in 2021.

I think it’s probably a mostly psychological issue. Hartman seems to struggle any time his WRs don’t make catches.

As soon as Green dropped that pass yesterday I knew Hartman was going to struggle. Sure enough 3 straight incompletions and then the wheels really fell off.

Same thing happened in the UNC game.

My concern with Sam is consistently under throwing receivers down field. It wasn’t an issue with sage or Washington, both because neither were super fast and their game was to win toss-ups and the jump balls were to their advantage. Morin and Greene get separation and get behind the coverage. Throwing them into a jump ball situation disadvantages them.

I don’t think it’s an arm strength issue, as we’ve seen Sam overthrow a few downfield as well. I hope he’s throwing a lot of long balls to Greene/Morin this offseason to get their timing down (this is one area that could have been drastically affected by Covid).

Such a classic overreaction on Sam Hartman here.

For 8.5 games (34 quarters), Sam Hartman threw 261 passes and had thrown one pick. He had 13 to 1 TD to INT ratio, and was lighting up the #1 ranked defense in college football as no QB had all season. Guessing with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter; Hartman was #1 college football in INT percentage for 2020, and only handful of QBs had a better TD/INT ratio.

Over his next 12 passes he threw 4 picks. It was bad, but it was also totally out of character based on an extensive resume. Hartman has markedly improved each year, and have no doubt that he will be even better next year. The recency bias here is crazy.

Not that it will happen, but if I'm a transfer (grad or regular w/ COVID rules) QB looking for a home and a shot at the NFL, I'm taking a very hard look at the option to play with Roberson and Greene next year. Despite his issues this year, I'd take Hendon Hooker in a heartbeat and let him battle for the job, and maybe he'd want to transfer back closer to home.

I agree that if you take out all the incompletions and interceptions that Hartman had a pretty good day !

Not that it will happen, but if I'm a transfer (grad or regular w/ COVID rules) QB looking for a home and a shot at the NFL, I'm taking a very hard look at the option to play with Roberson and Greene next year. Despite his issues this year, I'd take Hendon Hooker in a heartbeat and let him battle for the job, and maybe he'd want to transfer back closer to home.

Hendon Hooker threw 3 interceptions to a true freshman walk-on safety last time he played at Truist.

Yeah, Walker returning is really key. CBS is a good back, but he needs holes, Walker can make things out of very little and has break away potential. I've also been impressed with Ellison the last couple of game, seems to be a tough runner.

Agreed on Ellison. He has shown flashes when given the opportunity.

Such a classic overreaction on Sam Hartman here.

For 8.5 games (34 quarters), Sam Hartman threw 261 passes and had thrown one pick. He had 13 to 1 TD to INT ratio, and was lighting up the #1 ranked defense in college football as no QB had all season. Guessing with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter; Hartman was #1 college football in INT percentage for 2020, and only handful of QBs had a better TD/INT ratio.

Over his next 12 passes he threw 4 picks. It was bad, but it was also totally out of character based on an extensive resume. Hartman has markedly improved each year, and have no doubt that he will be even better next year. The recency bias here is crazy.

Well the last two games he was a combined 37/78 with 5 interceptions. Not sure what his stats were for the second half of the UNC game but obviously did not score enough there. Perhaps this is due to screwy schedule but every team had to deal with it. He has been a good quarterback overall for sure but this is a bit concerning. Just alot of bad passes.

A little late with this comment after getting out of the hospital, but here's my take.. Deacs O-line could not offer enough running room or pass protection. Hartmann was off with his touch and ball placement. WR's failed to make plays on key catchable throws. Result, not enough points on drives, not enough possession, and then forced to come from behind and some very bad plays by Sam. Overall, a typical performance. While Wisconsin isn't special and we definitely could have or should have won the game, we didn't. Aside for the Tx A&M victory we rarely play above our station. It's who we are. Playing without Boogie and Walker didn't help.

A little late with this comment after getting out of the hospital, but here's my take.. Deacs O-line could not offer enough running room or pass protection. Hartmann was off with his touch and ball placement. WR's failed to make plays on key catchable throws. Result, not enough points on drives, not enough possession, and then forced to come from behind and some very bad plays by Sam. Overall, a typical performance. While Wisconsin isn't special and we definitely could have or should have won the game, we didn't. Aside for the Tx A&M victory we rarely play above our station. It's who we are. Playing without Boogie and Walker didn't help.

Actually as has been stated previously on this thread, the pass pro was pretty good yesterday. A more effective running game would've certainly helped though.

Sciba tweeted that he was out yesterday due to Covid protocol.

Can Crane come back?

Best KO guy we’ve had in like forever and per yesterday, very reliable on XP’s too

As a matter of fact we have 2 transfer DB's coming in. 1 is the best corner in the Ivy League and the other is a solid safety from Navy. Our DB's will be fine next year if they can stay healthy.

Sorry, not going to get excited about a kid from Ivy League football nor a nondescript DB from Navy.

Actually as has been stated previously on this thread, the pass pro was pretty good yesterday. A more effective running game would've certainly helped though.

I haven’t been quiet that I preferred Hartman to Newman even before the transfer. With that said, the one huge negative for Hartman is that he is 0 threat to run. Newman ran too much but the threat opens up everything. With the slow developing RPO, we need a QB that can scramble. Wolford and Newman had this. Hartman does not.

I haven’t been quiet that I preferred Hartman to Newman even before the transfer. With that said, the one huge negative for Hartman is that he is 0 threat to run. Newman ran too much but the threat opens up everything. With the slow developing RPO, we need a QB that can scramble. Wolford and Newman had this. Hartman does not.

Griffis looks like he has some good wheels.

Back