• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Right, good point. Then it would be a successful coup.
But I maintain what is going on now is not a coup.

Then what is it? He is trying to get the CLEAR choice of the voters replaced by people who will be loyal to him and will "vote" to keep him in power. By trying to prevent the Electoral College from voting for Biden, it is an attempt to "subvert the existing government against the will of the people."

The President Elect can’t do his job because of Trump and his flunkies.

Here’s a good article explaining why this is a coup.

I Lived Through A Stupid Coup. America Is Having One Now
You’ve already lost. This is what Americans need to understand

https://medium.com/indica/i-lived-through-a-coup-america-is-having-one-now-437934b1dac3

————

1 | You’re being couped
What is a coup? It’s literally a blow, a strike. Someone taking government power that doesn’t belong to them, and cutting legitimate power out. In our case it was occupying Parliament without a majority. In yours it’s denying the President-Elect after an election. This is an attack, it’s a wound. Whether it fails or not, deep structural damage is done. At the time, however, it just feels dumb.
Frankly, I expected more epaulets and tanks, but this is all you get. A bunch of dumbasses throwing chili powder. Someone at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, next to a dildo shop. What a fucking stupid century. This is what our coups look like.
As a recovering coup victim to another, let me tell you this. The first step is simply accepting that you’ve been coup’d. This is hard and your media or Wikipedia may never figure this out (WTF does constitutional crisis mean? Is murder a legal crisis?), but it’s nonetheless true. The US system is weird, but people voted for a change of power. One person is refusing to accept the people’s will. He’s taking power that doesn’t belong to him. That’s a coup.

You mean all Pubs are not acting like fascists, scum bags and total turds as frequently labeled on these Boards.
Instead declaring that the elections were free, fair and decisive and we need to move along.
Imagine that.

Besides Romney, where are Pubs condemning the fascist scum bag total turds? At best are those remaining silent. Then you have those who tacitly support it. Finally you have the open supporters.

I'm sure that you've called your Republican Senators and Representative to express you outrage at this fascist coup.

Official Election Month Thread: Holy shit, this really is an attempted COUP

Pop’s senator, Lindsey Graham, openly asked for Georgia to throw out legal ballots. Good times! Wonderful party you have there!

Then what is it? He is trying to get the CLEAR choice of the voters replaced by people who will be loyal to him and will "vote" to keep him in power. By trying to prevent the Electoral College from voting for Biden, it is an attempt to "subvert the existing government against the will of the people."

The POS is contesting the election. He is trying to convince others the same thing. I neither condone it or agree with it.
I just don’t think he’s “subverting the existing government”.

Besides Romney, where are Pubs condemning the fascist scum bag total turds? At best are those remaining silent. Then you have those who tacitly support it. Finally you have the open supporters.

I'm sure that you've called your Republican Senators and Representative to express you outrage at this fascist coup.

It’s literally only been a Republican Senator who hates the President and is hated by the President and a retiring Republican Senator.

Calling on Republican leaders to subvert the election results and appoint electors loyal to him over the will of the people is subverting the existing government.

Yeah - a failed coup isn't exactly no harm no foul. At a minimum, more people will die of Covid than should. Our adversaries know we are in a period of turmoil, so there is a risk to servicemen and other Americans overseas. And then there are the countless Americans that will end up with little to no faith in our electoral process. But hey (shrug) - this is just Trump being Trump, right?

America, in fact, is worse than us. America’s democracy is a lightly modified enslavement system that black people only wrested universal franchise from in 1965. It’s frankly a terrible democracy, built on voter suppression of 94% of the population, full of racist booby traps and prone to absurd randomness. For example, your dumbass founders left enough time to get to Washington by horse. Four months where a loser could hold power, later reduced to two. This is a built-in coup.
Think about it. Your system gives the loser all the power and guns for two whole months. Almost every modern democracy changes power the next day, to avoid the very situation you’re in.
America constitutionally coups itself every election and it only doesn’t go bad by custom. America is a shitty and immature democracy, saved only by the fact that they didn’t elect equally shitty and immature Presidents. Until now.

Sure, words of wisdom from Indi.

Pass.

Where’s the lie, Pop? Uncomfortable truths are still truths.

Where’s the lie, Pop? Uncomfortable truths are still truths.

Not going to debate with you PH. Your guy is entitled to his opinion. I also will not bore you with my patriotic bullshit.
Suffice it to say, despite all our past/present/ issues, I’m glad I’m here and nowhere else.

What you quoted is truth and his opinion is that truth is terrible.

America, in fact, is worse than us. America’s democracy is a lightly modified enslavement system that black people only wrested universal franchise from in 1965. It’s frankly a terrible democracy, built on voter suppression of 94% of the population, full of racist booby traps and prone to absurd randomness. For example, your dumbass founders left enough time to get to Washington by horse. Four months where a loser could hold power, later reduced to two. This is a built-in coup.
Think about it. Your system gives the loser all the power and guns for two whole months. Almost every modern democracy changes power the next day, to avoid the very situation you’re in.
America constitutionally coups itself every election and it only doesn’t go bad by custom. America is a shitty and immature democracy, saved only by the fact that they didn’t elect equally shitty and immature Presidents. Until now.

Is this from the 1619 project? If so, which essay?

The POS is contesting the election. He is trying to convince others the same thing. I neither condone it or agree with it.

I just don’t think he’s “subverting the existing government”.

Contesting an election by trying to overturn the CLEAR choice of the voters and trying to convince others to do the same is a definition of "subverting the existing government"

If it's not an attempt at a coup, then what else would you call it?

Right. Trump and the GOP are not trying to make sure we have an accurate accounting of the votes. They are trying to overturn what we know to be the rightful outcome. That is a coup attempt. Are some thinking a coup attempt can only be violent? There have been some attempts and threats for that, as well.

Back