• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

Here's a sampling of what Al Gore said after the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 against him in 2000 in a much closer election:

"Good evening. Just moments ago I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. And I promised him that I wouldn't call him back this time.

I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we've just passed.

Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, "Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I'm with you, Mr. President, and God bless you."

Well, in that same spirit, I say to President-elect Bush that what remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may God bless his stewardship of this country...

Now the U.S. Supreme Court has spoken. Let there be no doubt, while I strongly disagree with the court's decision, I accept it. I accept the finality of this outcome, which will be ratified next Monday in the Electoral College. And tonight, for the sake of our unity as a people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession.

I also accept my responsibility, which I will discharge unconditionally, to honor the new president-elect and do everything possible to help him bring Americans together in fulfillment of the great vision that our Declaration of Independence defines and that our Constitution affirms and defends."

Do you think we will ever hear anything like that from Trump or the great majority of other Republican politicians in the days or weeks ahead, Pops?

Al Gore said the above on 12/13/2000. Mitch McConnell said the below on 12/15/2020:

Six weeks ago, Americans voted in this year's general election. The legal and constitutional processes have continued to play out.

Yesterday, electors met in all 50 states. So, as of this morning, our country officially has a President-elect and a Vice President-elect.
Many millions of us had hoped the presidential election would yield a different result. But our system of government has processes to determine who will be sworn in on January the 20th.

The Electoral College has spoken.

So today, I want to congratulate President-elect Joe Biden. The President-elect is no stranger to the Senate. He has devoted himself to public service for many years.

I also congratulate the Vice President-elect, our colleague from California, Senator Harris. Beyond our differences, all Americans can take pride that our nation has a female Vice President-elect for the first time.

I look forward to finishing out the next 36 days strong with President Trump. Our nation needs us to add another bipartisan chapter to this record of achievement."

Gore's speech was better, and, of course, it came from the candidate, not the senate majority leader of the opposing party. I doubt we ever see anything out of Trump that resembles the public-spiritedness and dignity evident in Gore's speech. But the result is the same. The door is closed.

Ken Starr's testimony in front of the Senate today begs to differ. As does the comments of Senator's Johnson and Paul.

Only if I get to bet that he will be sworn in. Of course, that has almost nothing to do with the discussion, but you already knew that.

Al Gore said the above on 12/13/2000. Mitch McConnell said the below on 12/15/2020:

Gore's speech was better, and, of course, it came from the candidate, not the senate majority leader of the opposing party. I doubt we ever see anything out of Trump that resembles the public-spiritedness and dignity evident in Gore's speech. But the result is the same. The door is closed.

The obvious difference is Gore was within 537 votes from winning the election, so it actually was plausible that some errors may have swung it to him.

Two elected officials in that little montage, one of whom said what she said months or years after she conceded an election in which we know a foreign adversary hacked her campaign manager’s email. The rest of those clips amount to the equivalent of Joe Rogan, Scott Baio and Sean Hanity ranting on the airwaves and in a a lot of cases they tempered their comments with caveats like “looks like an illegitimate president” or “could be...” Are we supposed to believe that is equivalent to 127 house republicans signing on to a Texas law suit try to over turn the election results in another state because a drunk lady with a Tiktok account said she saw a van deliver empty sandwich boxes to ballot counting centers?

Are you intentionally missing the point with all of your posts on this or are you just dense?

WakeBored is the old Junebug. That should answer your question.

Eternal victimhood is the core value of today's Republican party. They can't handle a world in which their race, gender, social class, etc. doesn't guarantee them enormous advantages over others.

They also know their chosen policies are actually awful for the majority of people and deeply unpopular.

So they’ve chosen to obfuscate them with stuff like “muh freedom” and radicalize their base against anything evil-Dem so they’ll support anything, rather than try to sell people honestly on their ideas (lol) or to craft better ideas and policies to be better for the country (LOL).

Pretty much.

For folks like junebug, the ends continue to justify the means as they always have. The means have gotten more stupid, crude and dangerous but they need those sweet sweet regressive judges.

Wasn't the impeachment an attempt to undo the results of the 2016 election of a duly elected president?

No.

It was an investigation into impeachable offenses.

And had Trump been convicted and removed from office, he would have been succeeded by Mike Pence, who was first in the line of presidential succession based on the results of the election of 2016.

And all of that is directly in line with the Constitution.

For folks like junebug, the ends continue to justify the means as they always have. The means have gotten more stupid, crude and dangerous but they need those sweet sweet regressive judges.

Waiting with bated breath to hear what means I'm justifying and how they are serving that end.

No, you're just a dick. Has nothing to do with what stance you've been taking, flawed as that stance may be. You started out posturing as some kind of anti-trump conservative realist, but when posters pushed back on some very obvious holes in your schtick you've devolved into a snarky shitposter. You're not alone in that category from either side of the isle, but it doesn't excuse it. Just read back through your last 20 posts and ask yourself how many offer absolutely zero value to a conversation.

Only other time I can remember mentioning you is when you leapt to the defense of a racist poster. Ignore if you like, just letting you know how you come off.

Thank you for the lecture. I enjoy posting and expressing my opinions and quite sorry they don't live up to your level of "schtick" and value.
But from one dick to another, your take on my "leap" to defend a racist poster is typical of the bias (anti Pub/conservative) bashing that takes place on this thread by anyone who isn't part of the "gang".
But do check the posts and report what really happened, from beginning to the end.
Quite different than calling someone a hypocrite which seems to has gotten under so many Dems/Libs skin.

You actually did leap to defend a racist poster, and assumed that those of us calling him racist were just being mean LibDems who disagreed with his politics.

When his very racists posts were pointed out, you quickly backpedaled.

Back