• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Holiday with Family Thred

or shove the beds together and send up some king sheets.

honestly even a new twin mattress would be better than what I've got up there. mushing together two 30-year-old twin beds wouldn't be terribly comfortable either, just more surface area for springs to jab you.

I had a nice few days with my parents. My sister, her hubs and their toddler are with his family, so it was just my folks and me. While I love my nephew and it would have been fun to see him at Christmas, it was nice to have adult conversation and just relaxing hang-out time with my folks. At Thanksgiving it was like constant toddler time and I barely feel like I got to chat with the grown-ups.

Unfortunately, my parents still don't believe me that the 30-year-old twin mattress in my childhood bedroom should probably be replaced. I think parents with adult children should have at least a double bed in a guest room (my folks have a double so they think a queen is unnecessary). My sister and my old bedrooms still have our old twin beds in them, and there's a sofabed downstairs in the living room that is a double or queen. I need to someday just buy a larger bed to send there.

How many nights a year do you sleep there?

I probably wouldn't replace it either.

They'd probably spring for a queen when you get married.

How many nights a year do you sleep there?

I probably wouldn't replace it either.

Not many, fewer than 10 days. I'm sure it doesn't make financial sense but it's just so uncomfortable. I deal with it.

They'd probably spring for a queen when you get married.

My sister is married with a kid, and they just have to sleep on the sofa bed. Sister and I will probably just buy them a guest bed someday.

RTQ, just refuse to come home for the next big holiday because of the bed. You gotta play hardball.

or shove the beds together and send up some king sheets.

my childhood room has twins and finally this year my mom pushed them together and got a king memory foam topper and sheets to make it a big bed. wife and I had been sleeping in my sister's room while she slept on a sleeper sofa in the basement.

Twin beds are fine for someone to sleep on solo, unless its as you say really uncomfortable cause of the springs.

hotels exist where parents live, right?

i cannot imagine any circumstances under which i would pay hundreds of dollars to stay at a hotel rather than sucking up whatever circumstances i needed to for a free place to stay with the people i'm visiting anyway.

It would be about the same cost for a couple nights in a hotel, or buying a bed and mattress that would last a decade or more.

i cannot imagine any circumstances under which i would pay hundreds of dollars to stay at a hotel rather than sucking up whatever circumstances i needed to for a free place to stay with the people i'm visiting anyway.

really? that seems like a ridiculous position to take given the variety of possible situations.

for me, part of being a grownup is enjoying the visit, not just doing the visit. Sometimes there are situations where I'd rather pay a few bucks and sleep comfortably and have my own bathroom. Especially for visiting in-laws or certain family members, if they have kids or when my kid is born.

Because hotel sex is great.

really? that seems like a ridiculous position to take given the variety of possible situations.

for me, part of being a grownup is enjoying the visit, not just doing the visit. Sometimes there are situations where I'd rather pay a few bucks and sleep comfortably and have my own bathroom. Especially for visiting in-laws or certain family members, if they have kids or when my kid is born.

yeah, i suppose my comment stems from the fact i have no issues with any of my family. :noidea:

to each their own, but personally i can't imagine staying in a hotel to visit family.

Would totes prefer a hotel when visiting in laws , happy to stay w my family. I like my space some privacy I'm not real extrovert fella usualluy

Back