• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

So much crazy here. This is Wellman's true legacy -- he has destroyed the rational thinking skills of our hardcore fans. I was right to just check out of Wake basketball two years ago. Coming back, it's like a PTSD convention.

Yep, lots of drama queen statements.

I mean two years from now if we win 23-25 games and make the Tourney, we will have plenty of support. We need a coach who wins. Winning the press conference is good and well short term, but wins will bring fans back.

2 years though is a big lull in excitement and donor spending for Wake Will and Joel renovations. You have a big name coach and win the press conference the fanbase is ready to go. You parade that individual around all summer and put his face everywhere. You hire a lack luster resume coach and C-lister and you have 7 months till the season where anyone begins to care about bball, then performance matters and if they don't make the tournament because they aren't a home run hire they don't have automatic good will, boom another year before anyone truly cares.

April_fools!.gif

I mean two years from now if we win 23-25 games and make the Tourney, we will have plenty of support. We need a coach who wins. Winning the press conference is good and well short term, but wins will bring fans back.

If we hire Manning, I'm gone and I stuck around for the [Redacted] years. Others didn't. Don't know why so many of you guys are trying to spin this positively. It would be a really bad hire.

Last edited:
2 years though is a big lull in excitement and donor spending for Wake Will and Joel renovations. You have a big name coach and win the press conference the fanbase is ready to go. You parade that individual around all summer and put his face everywhere. You hire a lack luster resume coach and C-lister and you have 7 months till the season where anyone begins to care about bball, then performance matters and if they don't make the tournament because they aren't a home run hire they don't have automatic good will, boom another year before anyone truly cares.

Well said.

When did Wake Forest last have one of the top 10 coaches in the college game?

Just asking.

Good point. From all signs though, Howland wanted to come to Wake. I don't get the hate we have for him; he won at Pitt and UCLA. He can win here. He may still be in the running, I don't know, but this board is beginning to meltdown and I fear it's all downhill from here.

So much crazy here. This is Wellman's true legacy -- he has destroyed the rational thinking skills of our hardcore fans. I was right to just check out of Wake basketball two years ago. Coming back, it's like a PTSD convention.

I'm not sure our fans ever were all that rational-minded, but I agree, most now sound somewhere between PTSD and battered spouse syndrome.

We also need a hell of a hire to try to mitigate the damage done in the last 4 years as quickly as possible, and unfortunately, Danny Manning will not do that. He MAY pan out, sure, but no one is going to be excited; no one is going to send tons of money to the Deacon Club; season ticket sales aren't going to spike.

Wake needs all of those things after the damage Bz and Wellman have done to the program for the last 4 years.

Manning has potential, but with only 2 full seasons under his belt, it's a huge risk. Just like Bzz. Wake doesn't need to take another huge risk. We shouldn't have to, not if schools like Virginia Tech can get Buzz Williams.

If we hire Manning, I'm gone and I stuck around for the [Redacted] years. Others didn't. Don't know why so many of you guys are trying to spin this positively. I would be a really bad hire.

It wouldn't be a good hire from the outset, but we don't know if he would be a bad coach or not. There's no indication that he is a bad coach. There's also no real indication of what kind of coach he would be.

This would be an instance of pretty bad hire, like you said, but unknown on whether or not it would be a good fit and the coach would succeed.

Compare that with the last search four years ago where it was an atrocious hire, the coach was clearly not good and it was clearly not a good fit.

I think Manning would have potential for success, but that we have no idea where the floor is. Bottom line, we should get someone who is better known where we have a better chance of identifying floors and ceilings. Manning is a total unknown.

"In Wellman We Trust" used to be a real thing.

Think about that. A REAL THING. That people said. That people meant!

Look at us now.

Back