• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

[Redacted] was fired the day of the Wake Will event in ATL and I heard there was quite the response from attendees.

Wouldn't be the dumbest thing to announce a home run hire tomorrow.

danny manning could take a shit on the steps of wait chapel and none of us would care if we win 25 games

Yet still none of this addresses why VPI was able to get Buzz Williams. Wake is undeniably a better program historically, a better program recently (which is pretty unbelievable), a better current program with the guys coming back, and has a considerably higher ceiling.

Is VT willing to, ahem, cheat?

Yet still none of this addresses why VPI was able to get Buzz Williams. Wake is undeniably a better program historically, a better program recently (which is pretty unbelievable), a better current program with the guys coming back, and has a considerably higher ceiling.

Extenuating circumstances. Every person is different, every school is different.

We didn't want Buzz and Buzz didn't want us.

We also need a hell of a hire to try to mitigate the damage done in the last 4 years as quickly as possible, and unfortunately, Danny Manning will not do that. He MAY pan out, sure, but no one is going to be excited; no one is going to send tons of money to the Deacon Club; season ticket sales aren't going to spike.

Wake needs all of those things after the damage Bz and Wellman have done to the program for the last 4 years.

Manning has potential, but with only 2 full seasons under his belt, it's a huge risk. Just like Bzz. Wake doesn't need to take another huge risk. We shouldn't have to, not if schools like Virginia Tech can get Buzz Williams.

I don't follow this logic, mainly because it implies we're just setting aside some super BIG NAME who would fix everything if only Wellman gave him money. Who is that, exactly? We can't make Shaka, Marshall, or Miller to take the job, and I highly doubt we didn't gauge each of them. If we're discussing Howland, I'm baffled. Howland has every chance of being a disaster in his next stop. He was basically run out of the state of California for being a bastard. He's never been described as an ace recruiter, and he's never worked this region. Several decent open jobs besides ours passed on him. He's far, far from some BIG NAME NO RISK hire.

If this board can't get behind a guy like Manning if he gets the job, before even seeing what he can do, then we're in a lot worse shape as a fan base than I thought. Thanks, Wellman. Thanks, Obama.

[Redacted] was fired the day of the Wake Will event in ATL and I heard there was quite the response from attendees.

Shaka could make a quick trip up 95...

Seems like Wellman is in a no-win situation if he doesn't get Shaka or Marshall, if I'm reading the board correctly the past week.

Either it's a "retread" where we know the floor/ceiling, or it's not a home run, and we don't know the floor/ceiling.

We were having really good, nuanced discussions about this stuff up until Bz got fired (see the Mike White et al thread). But now it seems like our expectations have been on such a roller coaster that everyone has lost perspective, and it's all or nothing.

You think the AD's messaging since Bzz got fired MIGHT have something to do with that?

To be fair, we didn't have a job opening at the time.

If this board can't get behind a guy like Manning if he gets the job, before even seeing what he can do, then we're in a lot worse shape as a fan base than I thought. Thanks, Wellman. Thanks, Obama.

I agree it's just not arguable that the fan base deserves better than a coach we need to talk ourselves into after the Bzz shit sandwich.

What I do not understand is how the athletic department could allow the notion of a much bigger hire to stay out there so long if they knew that was not going to happen.

So holy crap we are really waiting on SMU to lose so we can hire Larry Brown? Now that would be some shit after Welly left them off the board for the "First Four."

I don't follow this logic, mainly because it implies we're just setting aside some super BIG NAME who would fix everything if only Wellman gave him money. Who is that, exactly? We can't make Shaka, Marshall, or Miller to take the job, and I highly doubt we didn't gauge each of them. If we're discussing Howland, I'm baffled. Howland has every chance of being a disaster in his next stop. He was basically run out of the state of California for being a bastard. He's never been described as an ace recruiter, and he's never worked this region. Several decent open jobs besides ours passed on him. He's far, far from some BIG NAME NO RISK hire.

This board is made up of people who tune in to ESPN3.com broadcasts at 2pm on a Saturday. It's not this board we should be concerned about.

To be fair, we didn't have a job opening at the time.

Well we did briefly...but it also goes to the fact that we shouldn't have waited so long to fire [Redacted].

I agree Williams wasn't a good fit here, but I just can't believe Williams was a "good" fit at Virginia Tech either.

i would be a great way to announce a home run hire. if there is one waiting in the wings ready to swoop in.

the problem is he would need to reach out to his current school and players and let them know. no way that would not leak. unless is howland...

Seems like Wellman is in a no-win situation if he doesn't get Shaka or Marshall, if I'm reading the board correctly the past week.

Either it's a "retread" where we know the floor/ceiling, or it's not a home run, and we don't know the floor/ceiling.

We were having really good, nuanced discussions about this stuff up until Bz got fired (see the Mike White et al thread). But now it seems like our expectations have been on such a roller coaster that everyone has lost perspective, and it's all or nothing.

Some people are crazy with their "home run or GTFO" posts. However, the realistic candidates from that thread have decided they don't want to take our job. We are at a level below those guys.

The current coaches in the ACC are way too good to bring in someone that is unproven as a recruiter and a head coach. We need someone that come in right away and hit the ground running or we may never get back to the upper echelon of the conference.

You think the AD's messaging since Bzz got fired MIGHT have something to do with that?

Of course. I've always said that even though the buck stops with Wellman, he needs handlers. People to tell him it's a bad idea to use patronizing phrases like "heavens yes" and "historically competitive."

You get defined by the few sound bytes you make these days, right or wrong. So if information control is going to be your modus operandi, be better at talking when you do open your mouth.

All this being said, we sure are reading a lot into very little information. It's not to be expected, but I see people like Apetit who have been really smart and thoughtful for months turning into lunatics and I have a hard time blaming Wellman.

The one that really hurts and will sick with me for a long time is Mike White. I can rationalize every other candidate turning us down (even Manning, if he does, to some extent with a young team and moving up conferences to AAC).

Assuming the rumors are true, I have no idea how we were not able to land Mike White given his circumstances.

Back