• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I think Dino has been talking shit with everyone since he got canned.

He needs to get the fuck over it at this point though.

Dude. He had his name dragged through the mud for 4 years because of that firing. He has every right to be pissed as hell with Wake and Wellman.

The top tier names mentioned were never really real, given the restrictions that Wellman and his protectors (one in particular) put upon a new coach. Being inflexible around their Hoosier 'seque view of the world eliminated most candidates quickly. It is plus or minus four years before a true top tier national program can be built with a premier name.
#Sources?

Plus I believe Ron will roll out to the Final Four soon, so something should happen soon.

I've got to think that the "decision looming" and "visiting Wake today" stuff is BS. He's been offered and has accepted, which is why we sent the plane. Wouldn't be surprised if he's meeting with his players right now to tell them that he's leaving. I've followed a lot of coaching searches, and sure, sometimes the coach decides not to get on the plane. But I've never seen a coach so publicly visit a school like this. This is all but a done deal.

Also, just saw on Twitter that VCU hasn't reworked Shaka's contract because he was focused on assistants' salaries.

I am disgusted by those of you who are settling for a guy with only two years head coaching experience in a shitty cconference, with only one semi-decent season under his belt. I knew this would happen, that the lowf crowd would convince themselves this was an acceptable hire, but it's still sickening.

Dude. He had his name dragged through the mud for 4 years because of that firing. He has every right to be pissed as hell with Wake and Wellman.

Yeah, but it's time to get over it. Sorry, your successor failed and you were validated, let it go.

Manning and Tulsa started out this year 1-6. From that point on we should have known RW would have him on his radar. Granted, two of those were top-25 teams, and at least he had a nice turnaround.

I am disgusted by those of you who are settling for a guy with only two years head coaching experience in a shitty cconference, with only one semi-decent season under his belt. I knew this would happen, that the lowf crowd would convince themselves this was an acceptable hire, but it's still sickening.

I'm not settling...I'm going to be pissed as hell if Manning gets hired. Fuck the LOWF mindset.

Now, I'm "just sayin", what if he decides to stay at Tulsa? What does that say about our job and where would we look next?

That would be absolute rock bottom. It'd signal to other potential coaches that there's something toxic going on at WFU, and no one would want to touch it. We'd end up with John Pelphrey, and I'd stop caring.

+ a billion The capacity for this fanbase to take a nut punch is overwhelming.

Shaka was never in play
Marshall was never in play
Howland and Ron are both too big of dicks to work together
Archie would never coach here

So we're at Manning. Accept it.

I wonder if Manning will be asked to retain the assistants.
One thing that emerged from the end of the Bz era is that he wasn't actually asked to keep the recruits, Bz CHOSE to keep them. Wellman made that clear in this press conference and somewhere Bz pretty much aligned with that view (I forget where and exactly what was said). I had always assumed it was Wellman...but that decision apparently was Bz and an epically stupid one IMO. It's like Bz wanted to "fix" everyone.

If Manning turns us down, fire Wellman and make Devin player-coach. Film the season for an ESPN documentary and put the profits and salary savings towards hiring a coach next year.

I don't think you get on private plane to look at the school unless you have accepted. I can't imagine he goes back to Tulsa.

Maybe Shaka, upon seeing what a disaster this has become, will feel bad for us and reconsider. We're a charity case.

Whatever happened to howland?

Either way, Wellman has destroyed our basketball program. I hope Manning turns out to be a good hire

just got an alert from espn: DM to decide between staying at Tulsa or a accepting Wake job in next day.

So...does ESPN typically send alerts like this when news hasn't quite broken just yet? Seems weird that they are putting forth this "he will decide in 24hrs" things as actual news. Is Ron playing ESPN to force Shaka's hand?

Why not MOAR wild, delusional speculation!!?

129022063729216397.jpg

Shaka hasn't said no yet. We have been balls to the wall after him the past couple of weeks. He's dragging his feet and we needed a contingency plan. There is still a small chance Shaka has a revelation and becomes our coach. A Very small chance.

.a very, very, very small chance........

Back