• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I mean, I guess I should say we can compete with Marquette for salaries. If Skins is right and the number is 3.5M or so, we can at least come close and put together something that would make the offer comparable. I believe a lot of us were initially under the impression that money was very tight (which it might be), but I believe there are many people involved that will help Wellman make a big offer feasible.

Id go 3.5 with some healthy incentives. Go big or go home . Get what you pay for here.

I wish they would spend this much, but Wake won't for a basketball coach unless a person or group with deep pockets steps up.

Money should be no object.
make-it-rain-gif.gif

I wish they would spend this much, but Wake won't for a basketball coach unless a person or group with deep pockets steps up.

YEp, unless a donor or donors offer to pony up, Wake won't pay $3.5 million for a basketball coach, as much as I wish I were wrong.

Do we? I'd love for a donor to step up, but I'm certainly not going to fault them if they don't want to. We just don't have as many rich benefactors as other programs, so I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect us to be among the top 5-10 in the nation in terms of coach salaries, as much as I'd like to.

This is what worries me, the deep-pocketed Bill McCrearys and Don Flows notwithstanding. Do we have enough big donors to convince Hatch we can go "all in?"

Last edited:
Jim Ganzer ‏@theIWB 29m
Shaka Smart is the new coach at Marquette. #mubb

Done Deal

Doug Russell ‏@RussellOnSports 2m
Jim Ganzer reports that it's a done deal with Shaka Smart. He's trusted and connected...but it's been a strange day full of rumors. #MUbb

STRANGE DAY

I'd wait on Goodman or Borzello or Parrish etc. This would be a huge story so they should be on top of it.

That was half an hour ago and nobody else has reported it yet?

Jim Ganzer ‏@theIWB 11m
@joshlepak I tweeted it this morning and updated my subscribers all day. Never backed down, told readers don't believe 5:00 rumors too,

I'd wait of Goodman or Borzello or Parrish etc. This would be a huge story so they should be on top of it.

Yeah, I mean there were people on this board who know about the Bz resignation long in advance, but media didn't pick up on it until Thursday afternoon. People know things before Goodman, but it's hard to know who is legit and who isn't.

‏@WisBBYearbook 4m
Per @theIWB and @pipspicks == you can sharpie in Shaka Smart as the new head basketball coach at Marquette.

Seems pretty damn confident. Don't know the guy but to say he's been saying it all day and that he's the source. Someone def told him. Wow to Marquette for pulling this off with no ad and no prez if true.

Back