• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Thursday, March 27:

“It’s progressing well,” Wellman said. “We’re very pleased with where we are right now. There isn’t anything (planned) in the very new future, and I’m talking days.”

In reaction to the possibility that a new coach will be named early next week, Wellman expressed doubt.

“There isn’t anything there at all,” he said. “So I wouldn’t anticipate anything for a while yet.

“But I’m very pleased with the progress we’re making on the search.”

I've come out of a long boards hiatus for ShakaWatch. This is the most excited I've been about WF sports in a long time...please don't ruin this Wellman

Thursday, March 27:

“It’s progressing well,” Wellman said. “We’re very pleased with where we are right now. There isn’t anything (planned) in the very new future, and I’m talking days.”

In reaction to the possibility that a new coach will be named early next week, Wellman expressed doubt.

“There isn’t anything there at all,” he said. “So I wouldn’t anticipate anything for a while yet.

Based on this, it doesn't seem like we should expect anything in the next couple of days either.

What does it mean to be "pleased with the search" at this point?

I've come out of a long boards hiatus for ShakaWatch. This is the most excited I've been about WF sports in a long time...please don't ruin this Wellman

Welcome back! I saw you posted a bit during the [name redacted] firing. Hope you're bringing some #vibes.

If we don't get Shaka, I don't think I'd lay much of the blame at Wellman's feet.

giphy.gif

Thursday, March 27:

That's either a smokescreen to prevent leaks (which I expect), or an indication that it's not going as well as expected. The process is pretty simple: Identify candidate (which i bet we did months ago), offer a ton of money to that candidate, and wait to hear back. If first candidate doesn't accept, repeat. Shouldn't take much time

Wellman hAs to say that if we have an offer out to shaka because the other choices need to be able to save face. Let's say shaka says no. Then he goes after choice 2 or 3. If he says we should hVe something wrapped up in days then if we don't the world knows whoever we go after was not the top choice. A lot of egos here in play besides this boards. He needs to give everyone a chance to look good. Look at Marquette by contrast. Whoever goes there is going to look like the chump that couldn't turn down the $$ after everyone else did

What does it mean to be "pleased with the search" at this point?

"Everyone thinks we're going for a homerun hire, so the fans won't be pissed when we end up with a disappointing coach because at least we gave it our all and LOWF."

That's either a smokescreen to prevent leaks (which I expect), or an indication that it's not going as well as expected. The process is pretty simple: Identify candidate (which i bet we did months ago), offer a ton of money to that candidate, and wait to hear back. If first candidate doesn't accept, repeat. Shouldn't take much time

I think it is meaningless. regardless of the situation, that is what he should say.

Maybe Wellman sitting near Calipari last night has some traction.

Dino's daughter enrolled at Wake - Dino becomes HC
Buzz's daughter enrolled at Wake - Buzz becomes HC
Calipari's daughter recently graduated (PhD) from Wake - ???

Based on this, it doesn't seem like we should expect anything in the next couple of days either.

I would expect that if Shaka turns us down, he would recommit to VCU today / tomorrow. If he accepted, I would expect that would leak pretty quickly as well, so while I don't necessarily expect a coaching hire announcement today. I do expect we should know where Shaka stands in the next 24 hours.

Maybe Wellman sitting near Calipari last night has some traction.

Dino's daughter enrolled at Wake - Dino becomes HC
Buzz's daughter enrolled at Wake - Buzz becomes HC
Calipari's daughter recently graduated (PhD) from Wake - ???

That's some dedication to lurking. Congrats.

I would expect that if Shaka turns us down, he would recommit to VCU today / tomorrow. If he accepted, I would expect that would leak pretty quickly as well, so while I don't necessarily expect a coaching hire announcement today. I do expect we should know where Shaka stands in the next 24 hours.

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME.

I just want a scoop to hold me over

Back