• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I think that Maya quote is good for us. Tough decisions are on her mind. Holding out at VCU doesn't fit that bill.

VIBES TIME!

lionel-hampton-fw.jpg

I've been waiting for this reference.

I don't know what to think about the Archie/Wake thing. What I've learned in the past week is that certain coaches are very loyal to their current and future players. Coming to Wake for lots of $$ may make sense to us, but it's not necessarily the same for a young coach who's experienced success in his current situation.

I looked up Montgomery at Cal. He's only making $1.5M. That is not Howland money, so I could be wrong about Howland/Cal being a good fit. He's also burned some CA HS BBall bridges from what I read.

I'm all in for Howland and Archie, but I'm starting to temper my expectations. I think Chris Mack would be a good hire, as well, but it seems every candidate other than the floor guys seem to have good reasons not to come here.
I think within the next 48 hours one of two things happens: (1) Smart announces he's coming to Wake, e-Pandemonium ensues; or (2) VCU releases some banal, innocuous "We're pleased to announce that Coach Smart will remain with us through 20__" and we immediately turn around and hire Howland for $2.5 mil / year.

I don't know if now is the time for a high risk/high reward coach. I'd rather have a coach who has a higher chance of getting us to Sweet 16 level, and THEN hire a high risk/high reward coach

I have no idea what Archie is thinking now, but a lot of dayton fans were convinced he was going to try to use them as a stepping stone from the very beginning. The perception is that he is a very ambitious guy that probably won't hesitate to jump.

That July, Howland did what college coaches often do: He pulled a scholarship from a recruit he no longer wanted. The recruit was Kendall Williams, a long-armed, athletic guard from Los Osos High in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who also had played in the same AAU program that once produced Darren Collison, a key contributor on all three of Howland's Final Four teams.

Howland had the right to change his mind about Williams, but how he did it peeved several of Southern California's most prominent AAU coaches. They believed Howland purposely waited until the end of the summer recruiting calendar to drop Williams, thus assuring that he couldn't be evaluated by other Pac-12 coaches before the November signing period. Williams had been loyal to UCLA, and Howland repaid that loyalty by preventing him from going to Stanford or Cal or another Pac-12 school. Instead, Williams signed that November with New Mexico.

Many of the area's AAU coaches already disliked the conservative offensive system that Howland ran, feeling it didn't showcase their players' talents to NBA scouts. Howland's long-time friendship with David and Dana Pump, the twins who ran the Double Pump AAU program, also irked some coaches, as they felt the Pumps used their relationship with Howland to poach players from other AAU teams. Howland's mistreatment of Williams, however, was an even bigger issue. It led several AAU coaches to conclude that Howland couldn't be trusted, and they began advising their best players not to consider UCLA.

This had a stunning effect: Howland and his staff struggled to recruit Southern California. Of the 10 players the Bruins have signed since the Class of 2010 (Williams' class), only one (2011 signee Norman Powell) hails from Southern California, and he is from San Diego. Howland supporters have claimed that a lack of elite local talent forced him to look elsewhere and necessitated moves like the hiring of Korey McCray from the renowned Atlanta Celtics AAU program to be a Bruins assistant coach, which opened new recruiting grounds in the East. But there was no shortage of talented local players; many just wanted nothing to do with Howland and UCLA.

Link

I don't know if now is the time for a high risk/high reward coach. I'd rather have a coach who has a higher chance of getting us to Sweet 16 level, and THEN hire a high risk/high reward coach

Of course this is the move.

Taking a big risk right now holds the potential to effectively murder our basketball program, which is really not a place we want to be in the expansion era and on the cusp of a massive capital campaign.

I think within the next 48 hours one of two things happens: (1) Smart announces he's coming to Wake, e-Pandemonium ensues; or (2) VCU releases some banal, innocuous "We're pleased to announce that Coach Smart will remain with us through 20__" and we immediately turn around and hire Howland for $2.5 mil / year.

This is what I think will happen in the next 48 hours.

Marquette hasn't signed Howland and that tells me he's our plan 1b.

I think he's been told that and he's ok with that.

That July, Howland did what college coaches often do: He pulled a scholarship from a recruit he no longer wanted. The recruit was Kendall Williams, a long-armed, athletic guard from Los Osos High in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., who also had played in the same AAU program that once produced Darren Collison, a key contributor on all three of Howland's Final Four teams.

Howland had the right to change his mind about Williams, but how he did it peeved several of Southern California's most prominent AAU coaches. They believed Howland purposely waited until the end of the summer recruiting calendar to drop Williams, thus assuring that he couldn't be evaluated by other Pac-12 coaches before the November signing period. Williams had been loyal to UCLA, and Howland repaid that loyalty by preventing him from going to Stanford or Cal or another Pac-12 school. Instead, Williams signed that November with New Mexico.

Many of the area's AAU coaches already disliked the conservative offensive system that Howland ran, feeling it didn't showcase their players' talents to NBA scouts. Howland's long-time friendship with David and Dana Pump, the twins who ran the Double Pump AAU program, also irked some coaches, as they felt the Pumps used their relationship with Howland to poach players from other AAU teams. Howland's mistreatment of Williams, however, was an even bigger issue. It led several AAU coaches to conclude that Howland couldn't be trusted, and they began advising their best players not to consider UCLA.

This had a stunning effect: Howland and his staff struggled to recruit Southern California. Of the 10 players the Bruins have signed since the Class of 2010 (Williams' class), only one (2011 signee Norman Powell) hails from Southern California, and he is from San Diego. Howland supporters have claimed that a lack of elite local talent forced him to look elsewhere and necessitated moves like the hiring of Korey McCray from the renowned Atlanta Celtics AAU program to be a Bruins assistant coach, which opened new recruiting grounds in the East. But there was no shortage of talented local players; many just wanted nothing to do with Howland and UCLA.

Link

Oh word, nobody has mentioned this Sports Illustrated article before. Thanks for posting.

Yeah no way, Archie is about as high risk high reward as I would be comfortable with.

Manning has potential and has some intrigue, true, but for me he simply isn't the best reasonably available option given (i) our disposable finances for this hire, and (ii) the totality of all reasonably available potential candidates. IOW, I like the guy, and I could see it working, but a school in the now-premier basketball conference, with $2.5+ to throw at a new coach (supposedly), and a legacy/program to lift out of the ashes, simply can't take a chance on a guy with 2 years of head coaching experience and who, given his relatively advanced age, doesn't have as much long-term upside as the Millers, Whites, and [KenPom pin-ups] of the world.

I think we are a better job than Cal, and I think Howland in a lot of ways would prefer to get away from the west coast. It isn't like he left there with a lot of good vibes. If they offer and we aren't willing to make a move, then obviously he could go that way, but I Think head to head we chooses us.

I have read some articles and blogs regarding major administrative and budgetary issues at Cal, both in the AD and the university itself. If money is no object for us, I don't think Cal would be able to come close to what we can offer.

If in fact Shaka has been giving serious consideration to a lucrative offer over the weekend, then I could certainly see him opting to turn us down due to his loyalty to his recruiting class. He seems to take integrity and his word very seriously and perhaps he doesn't want to be perceived as someone who makes empty promises. But the flip side is, to make the next step (if that is your ambition), at some point, you will have to disappoint an entire fan base as well as a recruiting class. And he could conceivably bring a couple of those recruits with him!

Or am I pipe dreaming?

Man the tenor of this board took a big drop south towards melancholy. Is everyone cranky since there was no mid-morning leak or announcement?

Which is Suicide for an AD who needs to restore his legacy. I just don't see this unless 15 other coaches turn us down.

I understand both these points, but I was saying Manning over Mack, and not over Shaka, Marshall, Howland, or Archie.

I'm not even sure Mack would consistently get us to the Sweet 16 level. Maybe once every handful of years? His track record at Xavier is "fine." I just think Manning's "high reward" potential is large enough to off-set the safeness of a boring pick like Mack.

Danny Manning would be an absolutely atrocious hire in nearly every imaginable aspect.

I think she is def trolling peeps. Love her spunk. Come on Shaka, if nothing else you HAVE to come to WFU so we can enjoy Maya Smart's tweeting!

You guys clearly don't have wives who have read Lean In. They do not shut up about it.

#scoop

Back