• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Is Archie out of the equation? No one is talking about him any longer. If we cannot get Shaka, I want Archie. Dayton was an impressive team.

That was me. A more complete list is below, not necessarily based on how I think they'd do here (I'd much rather have Archie than Barnes), but how good of a hire it would be based on perception, resume, etc.

A+: Shaka, Marshall, Wright - Probably said no, probably not contacted because of culture, looks Italian
A: Howland (suck it, Appetite!) Probably not contacted because Wellman reads SI
A-: Buzz Williams, Rick Barnes Culture, lived in Texas
B+: Archie Probably said no
B: Mack, Amaker Makes Wellman look uncreative, got angry when he found out we were making him wait
B-: White, Masiello (pre-scandal, obvs) Probably turned us down, is definitely Italian
C+: Manning Where we're at now
C: Turner, Mooney God please no

I'm willing to take suggestions from the very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very small number of posters on this thread whose opinions I respect.

I think Wellman's using this list, FWIW

You'd stake your reputation as an AD at Wake hiring someone who lied on his resume? A guy that USF refused to hire on ethical grounds AFTER he had accepted their offer?

I don't know where all of this righteous indignation was when the same thing happened to Eddie Jordan last year.

Also, if yall are so up in arms about this, then consider that some people on here are defending staking your reputation on hiring Danny fucking Manning.

I was meh about this hire until I did some digging. I'm #ManningOut at this point.

Is Archie out of the equation? No one is talking about him any longer. If we cannot get Shaka, I want Archie. Dayton was an impressive team.
It was posted on here that Archie turned us down. No idea where that came from though.

Poll: Would you rather have Danny Manning for a reasonable salary or Ben Howland for Shaka money?

the GOOD thing about danny manning is that we don't have enough information at this point to KNOW for sure that he sucks

lol at the Italian qualification, keep up the good work on the summaries OGB

honestly, the salary doesn't really impact any of us on an individual basis

In theory a lot of that saved money is fungible though so we can use it on recruiting budgets, asst coaches, facilities, etc.

Mediocre? In his second season at NEBRASKA, he got 4th in the Big Ten, beat Wisconsin in the Conference Tournament, and got them to the NCAAs. Every team he has ever coached has steadily improved. He has a higher ceiling than most here are giving him credit for.

You're correct, he had a good year this year.

~11,000 posts summarized in two animated gifs:

1376364006420.gif

tumblr_lnla0byUs81qhbdo6o1_r1_400.gif

Wellman's like, "well shoot, if Kevin Ollie can make a Final Four, how many Final Fours can Danny Golly G. Manning make?"

lol at the Italian qualification, keep up the good work on the summaries OGB

THOSE WERE MY SUMMARIES! I demand the e-credit for snarky commentary. OGB just did all the hard work and research of the rankings

Jerry Tarkanian, also known as "Tark the Shark," was born in Euclid, Ohio. #homerun #scoop

Back